Samsung forum

Resolved Question

SmartTV Hub very slow, some apps won't download

by Oddible / January 6, 2013 2:25 AM PST

I'm having some problems with the Smart Hub and the Samsung App store in the my new ES7500 SmartTV. I have it hard wired via ethernet cable to the router and can watch Netflix videos via the Samsung Netflix app perfectly in HD so I know the network connection to the TV is working fine and high speed. However, all the content in the Samsung Apps store loads very slowly and some of the apps don't download at all.

Any idea what's going on here? For instance, I clicked on an app from the list and it sometimes takes 30 secs to 1 minute to even go to the app page. I hit the download button on a 15MB app and it has been over 20 minutes and it still isn't downloaded (didn't time out, doesn't show progress - lots of usability issues here as well).

Lastly, this TV cost $1500 and only has an embarrassing 755MB available... I would gladly have chipped in the extra $35 for 8GB, this is absurd. And Samsung Support tells me that there is NO WAY to increase this at all ever never.

Regardless, I just want the Samsung Apps to work. Currently it seems like a network issue with the Samsung Store. Are there any network diagnostic apps for the TV? What is the address / IP of the Samsung Store so I can trace and see if it is a routing issue or something?

Oddible has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SmartTV Hub very slow, some apps won't download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SmartTV Hub very slow, some apps won't download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Clarification: Network Interference Error
by Oddible / January 6, 2013 2:27 AM PST

I also frequently get a Network Interference Error but again, only when accessing the Samsung Store and trying to download apps. The Netflix app streams HD video perfectly.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Oddible

Collapse -
Told by support that Samsung botched a Smart Hub update toda
by Oddible / January 6, 2013 5:14 AM PST

Was told by support that Samsung botched a Smart Hub update today and a lot of users were reporting problems. My Smart Hub kept updating over and over and each time I lost more and more icons from the home page. At this point I have only Your Videos, nothing else. Hope they get this resolved soon!

Another point... service providers should have a clearer problem notification system for users, like what many video game services offer. Error messaging should report that there is a system error and techs are working on it, and there should be a website or an in-app system status notification.

Collapse -
Any Further Problems?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 8, 2013 12:07 AM PST

Hi Oddible,

There was a problem with Smart Hub over the weekend. Let me know if you have any continuing issues.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Problems with apps and app downloads
by kingdave82 / January 8, 2013 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: Any Further Problems?

I am also having this problem on my Samsung smart TV.

I am trying to uninstall apps and nothing happens. With some apps, if I click the download button nothing happens, but if I then return to the Smart Hub "homepage" the icons for those apps appear, but with a "progress bar" underneath which never moves. I can't uninstall these apps or redownload them again as the download button is still unresponsive.

Is a "factory reset" of the TV in order, or is there an easier way to fix this? My model is a UE40ES5500

Collapse -
Re: Problems with apps and app downloads
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 9, 2013 1:35 AM PST

Hi kingdave82,

Yes, try the factory reset.

HD tech

Collapse -
Verify Network Connection
by Oddible / January 9, 2013 2:11 AM PST

Your issue may not be the same, you may have network connectivity issues that are not related to the SmartHub update. Go to the Menu (the TV menu, not SmartHub tools) and go to Network Connectivity and verify your connection gets both green check marks.

Collapse -
no network problems
by kingdave82 / January 9, 2013 5:17 AM PST

I have no network connectivity problems. I can connect to and browse the app catalogue and can also connect to and stream content from Netflix, BBC iPlayer and ITV Player

Collapse -
by Oddible / January 9, 2013 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: no network problems

Before you try the factory reset, there is an option in the SmartHub Tools menu to "Reinstall". This might save you the trouble of having to re-enter / re-install everything from a factory reset.

Note that the SmartHub software is both very slow (so you won't see it start to reinstall for several minutes) and completely lacks both any fault tolerance and any consistent time-out interrupts. The SmartHub is really sub-standard of what I would expect from Samsung. This is 2002 software and networking installed on 2012 hardware.

Collapse -
It's now worse
by kingdave82 / January 9, 2013 6:05 PM PST
In reply to: Reinstall

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the Reinstall from the Tools menu but that didn't solve anything, so after messing around with it for a few hours last night I decided to do a factory reset out of pure frustration.

Big mistake.

The problem has now appeared to have fixed itself, but I am now only presented with apps for the North American market (HBO GO, Hulu Plus etc) which are of no use to me in the UK. Doing a search for "BBC" for example returns no results but I would expect it to bring up BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport.

Although I use Unblock Us on my Xbox for Netflix etc, I have not input these details into the TV so I don't understand why the TV now thinks I am in the USA. My router does not allow me to amend the DNS settings so each device I have connected to Unblock Us has to have the settings amended on the actual device.

Any ideas?!?!?

Collapse -
Reset your TV to the UK
by Oddible / January 9, 2013 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: It's now worse

You likely need to reset your TV to the UK. I read in another post that you can do this via the following hidden keystrokes:

"Go to the Smart TV screen (not the apps log in, just the home screen). On your remote push the fast forward button then "2", "8", "9", then the reverse should get a list of countries, make sure its "UK" (I'm assuming this is where you are)"

You can edit the DNS IP address in the Network Configuration for the TV (not in the SmartHub but in the main TV menu).

Collapse -
Still having problems
by apintoftheblackstuff / January 9, 2013 6:41 PM PST
In reply to: Any Further Problems?

We are all still having problems, is there an update please?

If Samsung is working on the issue let us know, communicate with us.

Collapse -
This is a community forum, contact support.
by Oddible / January 9, 2013 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Still having problems

> communicate with us

@apintoftheblackstuff if you are having problems contact their technical support, don't expect replies on the forums. This is a CNet forum for community knowledge share which happens to have a Samsung rep listening as a courtesy, and they have been communicating with us - more than what one might suspect for this medium. Again, if you want immediate direct help, don't come to a community forum, contact Samsung support directly, if you want crowd-sourced information use the forums. Every problem is different and while you are posting to a thread that seems like your problem, your cause may be very different. Support is your best bet.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.