Phones forum

General discussion

SmartPhones- Can they connect my Laptop to the Internet?

by CManocchio / May 1, 2007 8:24 AM PDT

I can't figure out the answer to this one:

If I want to use my Laptop on the road to get on the Internet, can I purchase a SmartPhone/PDA, plug it into my computer and browse the internet through the phone

do I need to purchase I wireless/cell pc card for my computer?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SmartPhones- Can they connect my Laptop to the Internet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SmartPhones- Can they connect my Laptop to the Internet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, some smartphones can provide internet connect
by d-mags / May 1, 2007 12:55 PM PDT

I'm in the same boat as you: looking for cellular internet access for my laptop on the road.

Here's what I've put together. A Smartphone that has Dial Up Networking (DUN) capability can connect your computer to the cellular network (tethering).

I've been looking at Verizon's specifics for this, it is probably different for other carriers. Verizon has a page discussing high-speed internet access over Bluetooth, There are two PDF files linked there that show which handsets support DUN profiles. I presume that most phones will support via USB data cable as well as Bluetooth.

It looks like non-Smartphones will support DUN as well, but I think you have to purchase a dedicated data package to get high-speed access. It will look a little fishy streaming video over a RAZR. Apparently, you can connect at 14.4k to your own ISP for the cost of your plan minutes, though.

Hope this helps. Anyone who knows more, feel free to correct me.

Collapse -
Yes, some can.
by hanyab / May 1, 2007 2:58 PM PDT

I recently purchased a new smartphone and this was my main need. I hate to have to carry a gadget for music, video, aircard, etc. etc.

The BlackJack from Cingular allows you to easily tether your BlackJack to your laptop and have a 3G (average 700kbps) connection. To connect, it only takes a few simple clips.

This is my first smartphone, but so far I love it. To get tethering on the BlackJack, I purchased the $39.99/mp unlimited data package. The sales rep said some phones require a $59.99/mo plan. Not sure what phones require which package.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
by CManocchio / May 2, 2007 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, some can.

Thank-you, yes that does help.

Collapse -
Error above
by hanyab / May 2, 2007 10:32 AM PDT

It's $39.99/mo not $39.99/mp.

Collapse -
Laptop tethering
by Ainujin / May 2, 2007 2:38 PM PDT

The answer of "some can" is pretty accurate. Cingular allows tethering on the most of their smart phones but they require a data plan. The big secret is whether you can tether over BlueTooth. We are switching the Cingular 8525 in June which has BlueTooth 2.0 and if you have a laptop with BlueTooth 2.0 then you could use the phone "cable free" to surf the web on your laptop. Pretty appealing!! Otherwise you would have to connect it physically. The Cingular data plan is confusing though because you can get unlimited data for $40/month but they say you can't do unlimited tethering.... for that you need the $60 plan but I really can't figure out how they could ever tell. Unless you were downloading so much that the transfer quota caused a red flag or some kind. I've asked the Cingular sales folks and they really don't know the answer either.

Just for comparison though I've been reading that the Sprint data streams are REALLY fast right now. 1.0 Mbps to 1.5 Mbps!!!! Very nice!!!

Collapse -
by CManocchio / May 3, 2007 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop tethering

Thank-you so much for your reply. I have been really confused trying to figure all this out so your answer actually helps a lot.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.