Phones forum

General discussion

Smartphone vs ipod touch

by ac221 / March 11, 2010 6:34 AM PST

I recently bought a Motorola Droid. I am about to return it since I have to keep on resetting the phone. My main reason for getting a smart phone is to sync my calendar. Should I just get an IPOD Touch instead? Do I have to pay for monthly fee with Ipod Touch?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smartphone vs ipod touch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smartphone vs ipod touch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why would you have to pay a monthly fee?
by Pepe7 / March 12, 2010 4:34 AM PST

Where on the box does it say a touch is a smartphone? Wink

Collapse -
by ac221 / March 12, 2010 4:56 AM PST

I know touch is not a smartphone. My main questions is do i have to pay for a montly fee for accessing the net. I read "some posts" about the touch but not sure about how to access the my emails and syncing my calendar.

Collapse -
by valdez49 / March 12, 2010 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: IPOD TOUCH

I have an itouch that I use to access the internet. All you need is any wi-fi connection and you can read all your e-mail accounts. I also just installed Skype and am able make calls to other Skype users.

Collapse -
Skype, Cell Phones, etc. in Europe
by msfleis / March 15, 2010 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: itouch

I want to buy a phone for using in southern Italy to call the US. Verizon will build a GSM phone but will charge me over $1/minute so I thought of using a Skype equipped phone. Do I have to do any preparation (connection to networks, WIFI security worries) to get Skype to work?

Collapse -
by valdez49 / March 15, 2010 1:18 PM PDT

I'm sure that you need internet connection. I'm also sure that europe will have alot of internet cafe's but here again security issues are the problem. Don't know about Skype's international plans but go to there web page to find out.

Collapse -
Skype Alternatives
by zxxxt / March 22, 2010 5:08 PM PDT

There are some alternative to Skype. If you just need it for making PC to PC call then you can try Yahoo Messenger (can make voice calls too) or MSN Messenger.

Now if you need to make a regular phone call then you can use a phone card or VoIP service to cut down on the cost. I use Onesuite long distance services and they both got calling card and VoIP services. You should check it out.

Collapse -
Do you have wifi at home?
by Pepe7 / March 13, 2010 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: IPOD TOUCH

If so, you wouldn't incurr any additional charges by using the touch to read/send email and/or surf the web.

Collapse -
by valdez49 / March 13, 2010 5:24 AM PST

No not at all. As long as you have an internet connection you can access all of your e-mail. You can use somebody's wi-fi if they don't have it encrypted but then you might expose your private info in doing so. I just used my itouch while on vacation and used the hotel's free wi-fi to access my e-mail. sure beat taking a lap top!

Collapse -
It's called an iPod Touch
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 17, 2010 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: itouch

Please stop calling it an iTouch because that is not the product's name.

Collapse -
by valdez49 / March 17, 2010 10:37 AM PDT

get a grip. if i am going to have to worry about every little thing i say then i just won't post anything anymore.

Collapse -
by ricardoinv / March 19, 2010 3:35 AM PDT

Smartphone Pros:
Verizon's required data package on smartphones doesn't limit me to Wi-Fi only areas.
Samsung Omnia, for example, is half the cost of a 32GB Touch

Smartphone Cons:
Higher monthly bill than I'm currently paying
Windows Mobile, although I hear the Omnia's version is an improvement

Collapse -
iPod Touch is not a phone
by zxxxt / March 22, 2010 4:46 PM PDT

So basically if you just want a calendar and a device that can browse the internet then I think you don't need a Smartphone because it will cost you at least twice of the iPod Touch.

Now if you need a mobile phone then Smartphone is for you.

Well having said that, a Smartphone can do whatever iPod Touch can do plus some more like making a phone call like a mobile phone.

Both have wifi so both can be use to browse the internet for free (you just need free wifi connection) and yes you don't need to pay for data services if you'll just use free wifi or your own internet connection.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.