Phones forum

Question

Smartphone needed to sync with Outlook

by cmarie_ / March 6, 2012 4:05 AM PST

I need a new smartphone and have a chance to purchase basically any plan/any phone. I'd love for the phone to be able to (easily, without an IT guy at work) sync up to Microsoft Outlook so I can access both my email and calendar through my phone and desktop. What are your thoughts for which carrier and phone that will work best? I definitely do not want a blackeberry, and I'd like to stay away from apple if possible.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smartphone needed to sync with Outlook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smartphone needed to sync with Outlook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It appears those days are gone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2012 8:22 AM PST

Look at what sync is doing today on iPhone, Android it's a failure. I'm not seeing what we used to get in syncing with Windows Mobile on today's phones.

I'm unsure why sync today is worse and less than it was a few years ago.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Unless you are using exchange...
by Pepe7 / March 6, 2012 10:37 AM PST

...IME it's pitiful syncing Outlook with an Android handset. Lots of problems. The Companionlink software is as close as I have gotten to getting it to work properly for a friend. But that's an expensive solution IMO. You might benefit from switching to Google/gmail if you want an easier solution for email & calendar with an Android powered smartphone. YMMV. But there are usually some small residual issues to work out.

This is a work based email account/calendar, or personal stuff? If you are using it with MS Exchange @ work, the iPhone works wonderfully w/ Outlook. My wife couldn't be happier. Friends have long switched away from the BB OS in favor of what the iPhone can do for them, including their work supported exchange accounts.

Tell us more about your specifics (account types, etc.) and maybe we can assist.

Collapse -
Answer
Android Phone Sync with Outlook
by JHSE / March 6, 2012 10:52 AM PST

HTC sense is more than just a pretty face, It makes Android usable.
I keep hearing about having the pure Android experience but the truth is it is lacking, even with ICS.
HTC includes a built-in feature for syncing your own address book, contacts, notes and calendar with Outlook. HTC also supplies the software for the PC side. Extra features include syncing of documents, pictures, music and playlist from Media Player and iTumes, movies and more.

No other Android phone includes this feature as a native application. It works better than the iphone, other Android phones even Microsoft Mobile 7 & 7.5

I highly recommend HTC Android phones that inlcude this feature. I hope they will add this feature to their Windows Mobile phones as Microsoft has made a mess of this feature.

I want the right to select whether or no I use the cloud to sync my personal information. HTC gives me that right. No tricks, clean and easy.

Collapse -
Misleading info here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2012 11:21 AM PST

For example they didn't reveal the problems with sync. For example "groups" in Contacts is non-existent.

Collapse -
Somewhat misleading
by Pepe7 / March 6, 2012 11:14 PM PST

Understand, HTC manufactures such a massive range of handsets (often for the carriers) that all don't function the same. Combine that fact with the issue of Android OS being fragmented across this wide selection of HTC devices and you can quickly see how the problem of 'syncing' isn't as easily solved as you've suggested.

Yes, I've seen it work on some HTC handsets, but not all. This is primarily because of the buggy nature of Android. You most certainly can give a few examples of where syncing worked, but I guarantee if won't be the same experience for everyone working with HTC products & Android. Been there, done that.

I don't think you've explored the iOS environment long enough if you don't think this can be done w/ the iPhone. A few simple apps and it's also done.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.