Phones forum

Smartphone in place of new PDA?

by work4fish / July 14, 2011 4:12 AM PDT

I'm not a PDA user, but I've been tasked with replacing our old PDAs at work which are used for data entry into MS Excel spreadsheets out in the field. From what I understand, I can purchase an unlocked smartphone and use it as a fancy PDA. Is that right? Do most smartphones now adays have the capability to read/write/save to MS docs that can be uploaded to a PC? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for a rugged smartphone that can accomplish this simple task?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smartphone in place of new PDA?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smartphone in place of new PDA?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
The only RUGGED units I know of
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2011 11:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's the tablet. Google this for others.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2011 12:10 PM PDT

As these tough devices are not at Best Buy you have to break down the doors of makers to get the units at times.

Collapse -
Tablets aren't practical...
by work4fish / July 15, 2011 3:38 AM PDT

Unfortunately, the type of work being done in the field does not lend itself to carrying around a tablet for data entry. The device must be small enough to fit in a shirt/jacket pocket and not hinder the worker's movements while the work is being conducted. Now I've run in to an additional problem of our fiscal dept not letting us purchase an unlocked "cell phone" for data collection, so it's back to researching PDAs.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2011 3:46 AM PDT

I lead with the tough tablet then noted my error and equipped YOU to do the work.

MOTOROLA has these but you will NEVER find them in stores.

Does that clear it up?

Me? I'm porting from PalmOS and WinMo to Android and we use phones, pda and tablets. We have seen the tough units but the client always backed out of going with the tough units. You may discover why on your own but it was always the price from what I was told.

Collapse -
Configure your own...
by John.Wilkinson / July 17, 2011 8:14 AM PDT

Buy an off-the-shelf model and protect it with a ruggedized case. OtterBox is one of the most popular manufacturers of such, though you'll need to look for a higher-end provider if you need waterproof and crush-proof cases.

To answer your other questions:
1.) Yes, an unlocked smartphone can function as a PDA. In fact, the smartphone need not even be unlocked in most cases - just purchased off-contract. (Unlocking would let you use it on a competitor's cell network.)
2.) Windows Phone 7 phones have native support for Microsoft Office documents. Android, iOS, et cetera devices generally require purchase of third-party software in the $30+ range.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
(NT) I agree, they Otter listen to this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2011 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Configure your own...
Collapse -
The Samsung Galaxy Note is coming out real soon.
by slims1179 / October 20, 2011 5:39 AM PDT

If you can wait for a REAL smartphone that is like a PDA, tablet and smartphone all-in-one then the Samsung Galaxy Note is the phone your looking for, but the bad thing is that your gonna have to wait until its released in the UK in Nov. 2011 and early next year for the US release. If your looking for more info, you can find it here:

Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Can you test to see if they resolved the issues?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2011 5:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
by asawa0220 / October 23, 2011 10:35 AM PDT

Any Android smartphone is able to edit MS docs with the use of some apps on the market. Or google docs. The trick should be in getting a phone with a screen with decent size and a nice strong case for it. ill edit this post later and put some useful links with some more specific ideas.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.