Phones forum

General discussion

Smartphone alternate uses, ideas?HTC PPC6800

by butterflyhive / December 4, 2009 5:21 AM PST

I have the Alltel version of HTC PPC6800,(now in Verizon network) but I am not currently using it for anything. I use a different cell phone for making calls. I would like to use this device for something, but cannot find info on it's limitations and capabilities as a smart-device NOT on a service plan.

How can I access the registry? Can this device serve as an accessory to my PC? Maybe as a digital tablet? A keyboard? Can it be synced with my PC for offline use? Can I bypass the cellular provider and simply use it as a PC with my home internet service provider? Anything at all would be useful, as it currently just sits in a drawer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smartphone alternate uses, ideas?HTC PPC6800
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smartphone alternate uses, ideas?HTC PPC6800
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
On the subject of tethering and ISP's
by butterflyhive / December 4, 2009 5:29 AM PST

Also wondering, if I were to switch to Verizon wireless dataplan and drop my current home ISP, is tethering allowed? Is unlimited usage REALLY unlimited? Verizon terms are vague. Would Sprint sell a dataplan for the PPC6800, or would I have to buy a new device?

Collapse -
Quick answers...
by John.Wilkinson / December 7, 2009 6:51 AM PST

How can I access the registry?
-> TRE, a free program from a Japanese developer, is available in English.

Can this device serve as an accessory to my PC?
-> Yes, to a degree.

Maybe as a digital tablet? A keyboard?
-> Not without paid software, and not integrated directly into most other apps.

Can it be synced with my PC for offline use?
-> Yes. See ActiveSync.

Can I bypass the cellular provider and simply use it as a PC with my home internet service provider?
-> Yes. Just connect via USB or Bluetooth. I believe it also supports WiFi access if you have a wireless router.

Also wondering, if I were to switch to Verizon wireless dataplan and drop my current home ISP, is tethering allowed?
-> Yes, but only if they approve the device.

Is unlimited usage REALLY unlimited?
-> Within reason. I would not recommend trying downloading movies 24/7 and testing the limits.

Would Sprint sell a dataplan for the PPC6800, or would I have to buy a new device?
-> They would likely try to get you to buy a new device. You should be able to use it as long as it's compatible with their network, though.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Yes, that helps:-)
by butterflyhive / December 7, 2009 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: Quick answers...

Thank you! I will have to get the reg editor and read some wikis. I realize the question(s) are not very clear of well formatted, so I appreciate the detailed reply. The wifi is present and working. Your answers lead me to more questions, so I will be back. I love this site!

Also, I don't mind buying a program/app if it is useful and reasonably priced for whatever I may do. I do wonder... What do people DO with PPC Phones when they upgrade?

Collapse -
Options...
by John.Wilkinson / December 8, 2009 8:13 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, that helps:-)

1.) Donate to a local charity. Sometimes your cell phone provider will even have a bin for such.

2.) Sell them on Ebay (auction), gazelle.com (they buy directly), etc. if they are still semi-recent models.

3.) If the model holds no value, see if the manufacturer has a recycling program. (Regular disposal is prohibited in California.)

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,224 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,453 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,090 discussions
icon
Security 30,722 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,937 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,295 discussions
icon
Phones 16,252 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,684 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,215 discussions

SEEING COLORS?

What do the color stripes mean on your tires?

Brian Cooley tells you why you might see various color lines on the wheels of your automobile.