Samsung forum

General discussion

SmartHub outage - all apps down - poor design

by fireman949 / January 25, 2013 3:42 PM PST

I have a 55" LED with a 'Smart Hub' system. Tonight, I went to use Amazon on-demand video but couldn't. The TV provided this extremely helpful error (sarcasm) "ERROR_MODEL_BIND - Network not connected - check network settings". Some quick Googleing resulted in a few results suggesting I 'factory reset' my TV which didn't help and only served to frustrate me further than I had wiped out all the apps I had installed. I knew it wasn't really network related as my home network is fine.

I chatted with a Samsung rep who informed me that the SmartHub servers were down. Ok.. but I don't need to install any apps or use SmartHub/Samsung provided content - I want to watch Amazon on-demand. I came to the conclusion and the rep admitted this that all applications (even though they are downloaded to the TV) have some dependency on Samsung's bigbrother/mothership servers being online and operational in order to run.

Please explain to us why an app that is 1) downloaded to the TV 2) streaming content from non-Samsung servers is required to check-in with the mothership before it can deliver content? I can get into 'smarthub' and the application is downloaded to my TV so I know there is not a technical limitation here.

Why would Samsung put a service together than has such a strong dependency on its own servers that from what I can see have a poor track record of uptime (googling shows several lengthy outages over the past 6 months)?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SmartHub outage - all apps down - poor design
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SmartHub outage - all apps down - poor design
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: SmartHub outage
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 28, 2013 5:26 AM PST

Hi fireman949,

I can't tell you why it's designed this way, since I don't have the ear of the product developers. However, I can say that your core concern about up-time is being addressed.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Thanks for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 6:11 AM PST

"Me too" as I wonder why they coupled the apps so tightly but then again it's a TV/Appliance and some thought is needed to fix a toaster that won't make toast when the maker's web site is down.

-> Take a look at those Chrome laptops. No one I know buys it. Just sharing that there's a reason.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.