Samsung forum

Alert

Smarthub not connecting

by pres64 / October 19, 2013 9:37 AM PDT

We have a Samsung UN40ES6100. The Smarthub has been giving us an error message saying that the Network is not connected but I have checked and it is.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smarthub not connecting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smarthub not connecting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I just called them- saying server outage
by r97f1504x4 / October 19, 2013 9:46 AM PDT

they do not have a timeline for when it will be fixed

Collapse -
Server outage
by pres64 / October 19, 2013 9:50 AM PDT

Thanks. At least I will quit trying to fix it on my end. No Netflix for me tonight I guess.

Collapse -
Smart hub still down
by Ranger212 / October 19, 2013 10:12 AM PDT

Any word on when the hub will be up. it 8:15 eastern time. October 18th.

Collapse -
Re: Smart hub still down
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 21, 2013 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Smart hub still down

Hi All,

Smart Hub is up an running as of 10-20-13. If you are still having issues with Smart Hub please provide the complete model code of your TV so we may further assist you.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung Smart Hub is Down again
by Schmitzp1 / October 23, 2013 2:02 PM PDT

Samsung Smart Hub is Down again.
Getting to be a real pain....not thinking Samsung is worth the trouble

Collapse -
And down again?
by flohud49 / October 23, 2013 3:21 PM PDT

As of tonight my LED TV model 6100 fails to connect to the Internet using a wired network connection that had been working before this.

When I try to use Smart Hub I get the following message:
"Network setup complete but cannot connect to the Internet."

IP and DNS are set to obtain addresses automatically.

It would seem Smart Hub isn't up and running. Can you offer an explanation?

Collapse -
Re: And down again?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 24, 2013 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: And down again?

Hi flohud49,

Smart Hub was temporarily down as of last night. Everything is back up and running now. If you are still experiencing issues connecting to Smart Hub please reply with your complete model code and we will look into this issue further.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung "Smart" Hub POS
by NotaSamsungSmartHubFan / October 25, 2013 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: And down again?

The "Smart" Hub is down then up (according to Samsung), then down again. Down more than up. Contact Samsung CS and get the "Reset your Smart Hub" or "download the latest firmware" routine. I've been on chat so frequently with Samsung, I just copy and paste my last session right at the start so they can read over the last few days "help." There aught to be a way to hack the Smart Hub and turn it into a droid. Otherwise, I guess I'll steal my kids Wii and let them watch Netflix via Nintendo.

I'm so irritated with having to watch this stupid thing "search" for the wireless network that 15 other gadgets in my home are connected to without issue at 25 mbps download- every time my seven year old wants to watch Scooby Doo on Netflix, my eyes are bleeding!

Shame on Samsung for jerking customers around. Get the thing fixed. It shouldn't be a priority for Samsung to require our TV to report our activity back to the home office. Report this back- I'll disable the Smart Hub and not use it again and not buy nor recommend the product to anyone.

Collapse -
communication would be helpful
by buzzinblair / October 25, 2013 2:44 PM PDT

I have used SmartHub through my Samsung BluRay player for several years now. When it works, it's OK. But when it goes down it is very frustrating. A number of times I called or emailed Support, but they wanted me to trouble shoot by resetting my device back to factory defaults. No thanks - I would just wait a few days and usually it started working on its own again. Then Samsung started to email customers notifying us when SmartHub would be down for work on the server. At least that gave us some notice. But those emails stopped. The last time it was going to be down for server maintenance there was no email, but I saw a notice about it on http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ under "News & Alerts".

What would really be helpful, and might instill some more trust of Samsung among SmartHub users, would be to have a site where unexpected server outages and projected down times would be listed as soon as they are encountered. That would save a lot of unnecessary calls and emails and would prevent us from being sent on fool's errands of resetting devices and reactivating apps.

Of course, it would be even better if Samsung reengineered its software architecture so that devices would not have to phone home to Samsung every time we want to use an app or stream a video.

Collapse -
Samsung "Smart" Hub doesn't seem so smart
by lukeday99 / November 23, 2013 7:33 AM PST

I was rather excited to get a new Samsung TV several days ago. But Lo and behold the Smart Hub connection went down yesterday, which seems consistent with the threads posted on here.

When do we expect this to be up, and is there a plan to remedy this seemingly common problem?

Collapse -
Frankly they need to re-think a design requirement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2013 7:46 AM PST

The current design has a simple point of failure mechanism. It's a common flaw in big systems and it's pretty simple.

It makes no sense to require a log in to Samsung's servers to use Netflix. But they are not telling us they most likely get a cut on the pay per view or title so they want to get their cut.

Then there are issues about what are they sending back to the servers. LG is in the news over that and let's hope Samsung didn't do that.
Bob

Collapse -
There are DOZENS.....
by lukeday99 / November 23, 2013 9:25 AM PST

Of threads like this one on the internet, going back 3-4 years. Plainly they are in no way motivated to fix this issue. It's really mud on their faces, and frankly I think it's likewise CNET's fault for not pointing this out in their reviews. This is a major design flaw in an otherwise nice looking TV which drags down their status and makes them less than First Tier.

Collapse -
I hear you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2013 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: There are DOZENS.....

Seems a shame they could get a software guru in there that understands how to let it fail with grace and let you use Netflix, browser and more but something unexplained is why they must get that connection to samsung smarthub.

My bet is they want to get their netflix cut.
Bob

Collapse -
SMART(DUMB) HUB is down for more then 12 hours
by hvashishtha / November 24, 2013 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: Re: And down again?

Samsung Smart(Dumb) Hub is down for more then 12 hours (as of Nov 25, 8.10 am CST). Contacted customer support(tier 2) and I am told to check back again in 24 to 48 hours to see if this is working. What a way to support customers. I am told there is nothing they can do at this time. I am told too many people are trying to connect to their dumb(smart) server so it went down. They have no idea how long it will take for them to fix it.

I just bought this tv yesterday and paid premium price for smart(dumb) tv but nothing is working.

I hope Samsung is listening and paying attention to this.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2013 10:52 PM PST
Collapse -
Smart Hub down for the last 4 days for me
by curtforbes / November 25, 2013 5:46 AM PST

What a joke. This is the third time in 6 months my Smart Hub has gone down for more than a few days, making the TV dumb.
All I want is Youtube in 46" anyway...so why route youtube requests through Smart Hub?
The TV has network connectivity, so why have a dependency on a healthy smart hub connection?

I would not recommend a Samsung 'Smart' TV to anyone. The software is poorly designed, which is a shame because Samsung's displays are great. But now, they need to get both the software and the hardware right - and they clearly are not. Good bye customers!!

Collapse -
Smart Hub....right.
by YtseBitsySpider / February 25, 2014 1:37 AM PST

I wish I had all your problems of "no smart hub".

it's a terrible platform and the interface is a catastrophe. I should never haved hooked it up in the beginning. I have the 64 inch Samsung plasma. A stunning television. Wonderful. It plays every thing I throw at it in terms of media files (on a usb), I streamed things from my pc a couple times allowing access to my shared folder but that's when the fun started.

This TV is an absolute ROUTER PIG. When you first turn it on it kicks EVERYTHING off your router while IT's Holiness gets IT'self connected. Riddiculous.

So.....turn it off you say? You can't. I've been trying for months. You simply can't disable the tv's attempts to connect. I filled all the network numbers with jibberish, I denied it access to my router. None of it matters. It gives my router a stroke as soon as you power it on.

Any samsung reps that feel inclined (here because none of your telephone people seem to know) to tell me how to shut off network connectivity completely?

thanks.
nice tv
not so smart

Collapse -
Top post this please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2014 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Smart Hub....right.

The router kick off sounds like that old Windows Vista "beam of death" issue. I don't want to repeat all that was involved but Microsoft turned on WiFi's "broadcast flag" and routers that weren't ready did what your Samsung TV did.

Let's see a top post with more detail.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.