Samsung forum

Question

Smarthub issues

by sjd86 / January 7, 2013 3:24 AM PST

my samsung UE40D5520 is having problems with smarthub.
2 days ago i went on smarthub and some of myapps were missing. after trying several different things i was advised to do a factory reset, which i did.
i reconnected it to the internet on a wired connection (you can see via the menu it was connected) and then setup a smarthub id - i recieved an email immediately after doing this.
When I try to click on the apps button nothing happens. below in the space where the reccomended box should be it says : "connect to the internet and enjoy a variety of content through smart hub' etc
I tried calling samsungs helpline today but they couldnt take my call as they were experiencing technical difficulties - the irony

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smarthub issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smarthub issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Smarthub issues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 8, 2013 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Smarthub issues

Hi sjd86,

There was an issue with Smart Hub over the weekend. Let me know if you're still having issues.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Re: SmartHub Issues
by abstractec / January 8, 2013 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Smarthub issues

We're all still having SmartHub issues.

Collapse -
STILL PROBLEMS
by apintoftheblackstuff / January 8, 2013 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: Re: SmartHub Issues

We are all still having problems, any idea when this will be fixed?

What is the point in having a smart tv that doesnt function correctly?

Collapse -
STILL HAVING SMART HUB PROBLEMS
by apintoftheblackstuff / January 8, 2013 10:00 PM PST

Hi

I am still experiencing Smarthub problems. I get various 'error' messages, all of my apps have gone and I am unable to download anymore because of some network inteference which is nonsense. The TV recognises that it is connected to my router and therefore the internet, I have reset the TV, I have updated the software/firmware and there is nothing else I can do. I have had the TV for only 3 weeks but I am considering getting my money back.

I also am experiencing "When I try to click on the apps button nothing happens. below in the space where the reccomended box should be it says : "connect to the internet and enjoy a variety of content through smart hub' etc"

What is the point is having a smart tv that doesnt function correctly?

I would very much appreciate a helpful response, I imagine quite a few of your other customers are eager for this problem to be solved ASAP.

Regards
Paul

Collapse -
Still having problems
by apintoftheblackstuff / January 9, 2013 6:31 PM PST

Hi

I am still experiencing Smarthub problems. I get various 'error' messages, all of my apps have gone and I am unable to download anymore because of some network inteference which is nonsense. The TV recognises that it is connected to my router and therefore the internet, I have reset the TV, I have updated the software/firmware and there is nothing else I can do. I have had the TV for only 3 weeks but I am considering getting my money back.

I also am experiencing "When I try to click on the apps button nothing happens. below in the space where the reccomended box should be it says : "connect to the internet and enjoy a variety of content through smart hub' etc"

What is the point is having a smart tv that doesnt function correctly?

I would very much appreciate a helpful response, I imagine quite a few of your other customers are eager for this problem to be solved ASAP.

Regards
Paul

Collapse -
Issues as well
by Rerun712 / January 10, 2013 12:03 AM PST

Hello,

I have also just started having issues with Smart Hub. Network interference errors, unable to launch apps, etc. has Samsung acknowledged there is still an issue?

Thanks,
Jon

Collapse -
smarthub issues
by majstorozg / January 10, 2013 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Issues as well

The problem is with the firmware of tv!
Go to the samsung uk page download the exact model's firmware in exe file...put it in the empty formated usb...then open it on that usb-it will unpack.
After that put it in tv and go to upgrade software option.
After you do that smart hub will work for you definetly.

Collapse -
doesn't work
by realepicurean / January 10, 2013 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: smarthub issues

Sorry...did this step and it reset smart hub but didn't fix the no connection issue. Rubbish.

Collapse -
Service issue
by Rerun712 / January 10, 2013 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: doesn't work

FYI...I just chatted with a Samsung tech who said they are aware of an issue with the smart hub service and they are working on this issue. His words: "we just need to add up servers to accommodate every consumers".

Collapse -
Answer
re: Smarthub issues
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 10, 2013 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: Smarthub issues

Hi all,

I'd like to get this a bit more organized if you don't mind. I realize that this is all an on-going problem for each of you, but if you could each post the following information, I'll try to answer each of you individually:

Product: Blu-ray Player/Home Theater/TV
Model: BD-E5900/UN60ES8000/HT-EM45C/etc.
Your symptom or error: "Apps are missing"/"Smart Hub says at start up, 'Error Model Bind'"/etc.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Smart hub issue
by Rerun712 / January 10, 2013 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: re: Smarthub issues

Product: LED TV
Model: UN46D7000
Symptoms: nothing within smart hub functions. Network Interference errors when trying to launch apps (hbo go). Never ending "connecting" when launching browser. Nothing happens when clicking "Samsung apps"

Collapse -
Help
by bizoy9 / January 10, 2013 8:39 AM PST

Product: TV
Model:UN46ES6100FXZA
Issue: SmartHUB opens and all apps are gone. It has said it needs updating, but then does nothing. Can't access the regulars (Netflix, Amazon, etc)

Collapse -
SmartHub ridiculousness
by jmac2074 / January 11, 2013 12:54 PM PST

Hi Samsung,

This is pretty ridiculous. My SmartHub has been down all week; all my apps have disappeared. You would think as big as a company as you are, that you would have the resources to have this fixed by now. I called customer service and was told that your servers went down because of an increase of users since the New Year. Nice to know that your product has a good enough reputation to sell products, but this it's pretty ridiculous that you're not able to support your customers's products. Your Product and Operations employees for the SmartHub should consider themselves lucky if they still have a job at Samsung. I was told that everything should be up within 24 to 48 hours. I'm not holding my breath.

Product: TV
Model: UNES6150
Your symptom or error: All apps are missing

Collapse -
Correction to my model
by jmac2074 / January 11, 2013 12:57 PM PST

Model: UN55ES6150

And excuse any typos. I'm pretty heated.

Collapse -
SmartHub is working now - for the most part
by jmac2074 / January 12, 2013 2:06 AM PST

Interestingly, my SmartHub is now working. I turned it on this morning and the apps started to download and install. I seem to be missing a couple default apps, one of which allows me to download random TV apps, such as Picasa, CNet, WSJ, etc.

Collapse -
smart hub problems
by stimpy545 / January 11, 2013 10:14 PM PST

im also having having smart hub issues. this is pretty bad, surely someone at samung should have seen this coming with all the new christmas tvs being purchased.

product: smart tv
model: ue55es6300u
symptom: apps unavailable, missing apps, app name and pic not the same. constant conecting on apps and browser (although browser seems to be working at present) tv freezing when on smart hub and needs to be turned off at the plug switch.

Collapse -
SmartHub Server Connection
by KilgoreTrout17 / January 13, 2013 12:28 AM PST

Product: 46" LED Smart TV and Blueray DVD
Model: UN46ES6150F and BD-EM59C
Date in service: Jan. 2, 2013

Some apps on TV connect while others do not connect. Tried reset, downloaded all updates, returned and replaced unit. Message says cannot connect to service. Try again later.

These apps WORK: web browser, HBOGO, YOUTUBE.

These apps have NEVER CONNECTED: Netflix, Pandora, Hulu+, Amazon Prime Inst Vids. When accessing, error message says cant connect to service. Haven't tried other apps.

Very high speed ISP (40 mbs down, 20 mbs upload).

I bought two TVs, one for each daughter. One setup over Christmas worked fine from the start. The other never worked. How is it a server problem when one works, and other doesn't? Returned, replaced, same problems. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

On BD-em59c, it won't connect to the same wireless that the tv and all other devices successfully connect to. Can't download software firmware updates w/o connection. How can the tv and phones and computers all connect, but not the BD? Again, FRUSTRATING!! I've spent many many hours on these problems.

Please advise honestly. Do not over promise on resolution of issues. Thanks.

Collapse -
NO PROMISES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 12:31 AM PST

Did you try turning off the firewall in the router? Remember that routers just a while back didn't have that and now that they do, you get to configure it.

Did you try putting the device into the DMZ?

Did you try the usual DNS change noted many times?

-> I hear you but this is your network. Not Netflix or any of the other titles. You configure and control all this. I wonder if it's time for the Smart TV makers to get into the ISP and router business with home service crews?
Bob

Collapse -
Yes and No
by KilgoreTrout17 / January 13, 2013 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: NO PROMISES.

I did try disabling the firewall on the wireless router, but I don't know what putting device into DMZ means?

I'll look for the DNS change post, but would that cause some apps to connect while others do not? Thx.

Collapse -
I know folk get upset on these things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: Yes and No

But do try google and What is a router DMZ? to catch up. And look for the three letter acronym (TLA) in your router's manual.

The DMZ gives the device you put there full internet access. I don't do this on PCs unless it's a server.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. This is sjd86's post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 12:32 AM PST

You should create your own post for one on one discussions.
Bob

Collapse -
Anyone there?
by apintoftheblackstuff / January 13, 2013 6:06 PM PST

4 days ago you requested we provide you with some details, we have done so yet in 4 days you have not provided us with an update. i consider 72 hours is a reasonable time frame for any company to provide its many customers who have been affected with an update on the matter.

Collapse -
This is sjd86's post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: Anyone there?

In the USA you also have 1800SAMSUNG, the Facebook link at the top of this forum and more other ways to contact them.

But in forum's you may want to make your own post if you want a direct reply. Also, if you follow this forum, I rarely see replies on weekends. That's when you pick up the phone and call it in.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by apintoftheblackstuff / January 14, 2013 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: This is sjd86's post.

But the Samsung HD tech told us to post various details and details of faults 4 days ago. We did that and I think 4 days in ample to reply saying they are working on the issue

Collapse -
And folk are posting in multiple threads so it can slow
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

You have more than one avenue of contact and from what I'm seeing the outage can continue on some ISPs. As that would be an ISP issue I wonder how it will go over with the usual consumers.
Bob

Collapse -
Smarthub Problems - NIGHTMARE
by ndeangelis / January 16, 2013 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

I feel bad for you folks.... you are all dealing with issues, which in 99.9% of the cases have nothing to do with your router, ISP, IP, network settings, DMZ, firewalls etc. The problem is SAMSUNG!!!

There are two things you should know about.

1) Wifi - If you are using your Samsung player or TV with a wifi connection, ensure you have a good / great network connection. If you have one or two bars on the gauge, it probably will not work very well. You can purchase powerline ethernet extenders from netgear to get you a "hard wired" connection to the device. (They can't be plugged into a surge suppression strip, they must be plugged directly into the wall) - If you can have a hard-wired connection directly from your router or network it will always be the best way to connect these types of devices.

2) Smarthub - Smarthub is the problem, what ever the players are doing to talk to Samsung's servers, or whatever servers they need to talk to. It randomly works, and even when it does work it is very slow. You must first and foremost, update your player's firmware, in the menu, either online or USB. Then you can access smarthub apps.

After you get past the foolish service agreement messages, it should then perform a smarthub update. Depending on how successful it is will depend on what you get next.

You should have the default apps - random, but typically netflix and vudu are there, or if it doesn't work, you have no apps, then you have to go and get the apps you want.

It's troubling that after so much time has passed, that Samsung hasn't figured out and fixed what is creating these glitches. THIS TECHNOLOGY SHOULD BE INSTANT. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WAIT. THIS ENTIRE PROCESS SHOULD ONLY BE 5 MINS MAX TO DO WHAT IT NEEDS TO.

Yet you poor people are wasting hours and days of aggravation, asking questions, questioning your setups, routers, firewall, DMZ.... None of that is the problem. Trust me!!!!!!

SAMSUNG, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER OR TURN OFF THE FEATURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Good post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 1:17 AM PST

I see you are seeing what I'm seeing. A very technical product that involves many moving parts. Not all the parts belong to the maker so do you think it's time for folk to go get an integrated solution?
Bob

Collapse -
Planning
by ndeangelis / January 16, 2013 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Good post.

My guess is that the back end equipment that supports the Samsung Smarthub/Apps is either overwhelmed, or inadequate (either speed, or equipment) to handle the connections requested by the Smarthub program from all these players.

I have been in the computer industry for over 20 years. If you stop and think about what is going on, and look at all of the people on this forum and others, all complaining of the same thing.

If you go to your pc or mac or ipad, how come you can go to netflix and start watching a movie in, about as long as it takes you to login?

I am tired of hearing and reading things from technical support people like "Did you try turning off your firewall?"

Really??? Did you have to turn off your firewall to login into netflix on your computer to get it to work?? No!!!. The Router/firewall's job is to protect your computer!!! How ridiculous is that? By it's nature the router is a firewall. Somehow that question is the de facto response from technical support people from almost any company for years!!! I suppose the hope is that if you haven't tried to turn it off, and you can't turn it off because you don't know how, then Samsung can hang up on you until you do..... Only to find that it didn't fix the problem.

Let's just say, for the sake of the argument, you did turn off your firewall, and that somehow (unlikely) fixed the problem.... Now what? The only way to use the $159.00 blu-ray is expose all of your computers to the Internet?

Are you telling me the average person, who know's nothing about computers or routers now has to somehow find a way to login to their router and manipulate it as a test? Or worse yet, hire someone to attempt to figure out what is wrong? Really?

No...................................

And by the way, I have seen it, where the blu-ray connects to the internet (Hard-wired BTW), gets the firmware update online - So you know it is connected to the Internet, but then mysteriously, Smarthub doesn't work. If you check your Internet settings, they are all OK, yet Smarthub won't get online....... So tell me again, why anyone would now have to even think about the firewall in their router? Please.....

Look, if you download a file, like a pdf or and update on your computer, they go pretty quick. The speed will depend on your internet speed (inbound), but also the speed at which the other side can send it to you (Their outbound speed).

How about this, why is netflix on Apple TV so fast?

Again, in this case and this particular problem (Smarthub) Samsung, has to fess up and admit there is a problem, say they are working on it, and eventually fix the product people are paying for. By saying or having you try anything else is just wasting your time......

Collapse -
I see you are thinking these TVs are like PCs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Planning

And that is where it fails. The TV industry is not like the PC industry so about 2010 they began to use CPUs in the TVs and crammed some functionality into the set.

As you are in the PC industry your view is not like what you have in the appliance realm.

-> The advice about firewalls and all that is valid. If you didn't see it fix a cranky setup you might slam it so if you want to discuss this, keep an open mind about how the TV is different and what they did is unlike your other devices.

The Apple TV? Look at what CPU horsepower and RAM they put in. Those early and even current TVs are pitifully armed in comparison.

You have great points in your posts but unless you've seen this first hand (I have) you would not dismiss the advice given so quickly.
Bob

Collapse -
Smarthub
by ndeangelis / January 16, 2013 7:10 AM PST

I have been currently working in the A/V industry for a home automation company for the last 5 years. In the last couple of years we have installed hundreds of these smart devices, Samsung, LG, Sony, etc.

Prior to that I have been in the computer industry for 20 years, building and fixing, computers creating wired & wireless networks, etc.

I understand these appliances have limited computing power, ram, etc, and understand the limitations therein, however, my point is that if a product is designed to offer certain options and features, and being sold and presented that way, the company is setting consumers expectations.

Average consumers don't know anything about their network, routers, and the like. The small percentage of people that do know, may have locked down their router, forgot about it and they are the ones that need to address issues mentioned above, but that is a very small percentage of people.

A 50 year old man who buys a Blu-Ray for streaming apps, expects it to work as advertised without the troubles most people have been experiencing. Yes albeit, slower than a computer, but it should work!! He should not need to worry or be concerned with firewalls, DMZ, etc.

I don't believe in this instance the product is the problem, it is the back end infrastructure supporting it.

These are Internet appliances. If you purchase a Internet radio, you put it on your network and it typically just works... As should the Blu-Ray devices, or TV's or what have you. If a person is required to manipulate their firewall in their router, than then product is flawed in it's design, plain and simple. The communication through the router should not be treated any differently than any other network device.

Neil

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.