TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Smart tv or Plasma tv

by bobbletop / December 30, 2012 8:50 AM PST

We currently do not have a tv and want to get one. We are looking for 40" to 46" in size. And were thinking about a smart tv as we'd probably watch mainly from the internet.... which seems to mean also having 3D. Is a smart tv worth it? or is it better to get a cheaper tv and just use a laptop to connect to the internet? Also, I am most concerned about picture quality - the images in the shops tend to look overbright to me or orangy - or 'false' in some way - like the people are made of wax! Is this the way they are set up in the shop? or will they always look like this? So we went from thinking seriously about a LG or Samsung, to seriously considering a Sony, where the picture quality in the shop was a lot better (from my point of view). At least the Sony image was more realistic and less 'shiny' and orange.

Now I have learnt that plasma gives better picture quality. is this worth considering? I just read that panasonic plasma sets have the best picture quality- is it better to get a cheaper panasonic?

any help on this much appreciated - especially as I keep hearing how great picture quality is on current tvs, and I was pretty unimpressed! (have to say that 3d also didn't impress)

thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smart tv or Plasma tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smart tv or Plasma tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
STOP RIGHT THERE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2012 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: Smart tv or Plasma tv

Most web sites with video for example, HULU and others fail to play from Smart TV web browsers. This area is a minefield and if you expect the same web site you watch on your PC to work on the Smart TV web browser you are going into a minefield.

I don't want to write that these Smart TVs aren't a good idea, but the execution is flawed. And those that sell it rarely tell you the truth.

I will write that you should never pay a dime more for a TV and a TV with that Smart TV. It's not worth a dime given the current state of affairs.
Bob

Collapse -
smart Plasma!
by vinpan80 / December 30, 2012 11:55 AM PST
In reply to: STOP RIGHT THERE.

I had a 32 in LCD now I got a 55in 3D Smart Plasma TV & 3D Blu ray home theater,I would go with the Plasma, If your a movie person and not cable tv, I would go with plasma and plasma is cheaper now days, If your a cable person go with LCD or LED but they are alot more. I hope that answers your question. ( bob that wasnt a straight answer to them )

Collapse -
Yup, I went with the Smart TV issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 12:33 AM PST
In reply to: smart Plasma!

The Plasma or LED/LCD debate will continue for some years. But the pro con of this is Plasma warranties exclude burn in. LCD can get burn in but it's something you have to really work to achieve (airport departure/arrival displays.)
Bob

Collapse -
plasma - 720 or 1080?
by bobbletop / January 3, 2013 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: STOP RIGHT THERE.

We want a smallish plasma - 42 or 43" - can we save by getting a 720 resolution or is it not worth it? especially as my main concern is picture quality?

at the moment I am thinking about the
panasonic p42ut50

but given that we don't want 3d or smart, the other recommended ones are
LG 42PS4500
or
Samsung pn43E450

which are both cheap and 720p resolution

any experience with these?

Collapse -
At 720p I worry about your Smart TV experience.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: plasma - 720 or 1080?

That's less pixels than a common laptop (which is 768 or better) and later when you add a player you'll miss out on the 1080p display.

I know I'd skip or not pay for "Smart TV" as they makers bumble around trying to figure it out (they've had more than long enough to make a good browser.)

But unless it was for the kids cartoons, I'd get 1080p.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Plasma is good/ideas
by Pepe7 / December 30, 2012 2:46 PM PST
In reply to: Smart tv or Plasma tv

If you went w/ plasma you get the best of both worlds.
Great PQ and a wonderful way to also view web content from
An attached PC via HDMI. I bought a cheap desktop
With wireless keyboard for this purpose.

Keep in mind 3D content is via Blue raydiscs.

Collapse -
plasma
by bobbletop / January 1, 2013 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: Plasma is good/ideas

We will check out the plasma options - but it sounds like a good one for us, especially as we don't watch much tv, but would like to see movies which look and sound good.

I think the first impression I got was that smart tvs basically show everything that you can get on the internet, but now I am realising there is a lot you can't get.

P

Collapse -
That sounds like me
by Pepe7 / January 3, 2013 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: plasma

I watch mostly movies, and enjoy internet content on the big screen HDTV. That's why I ended up running an HDMI cable from the PC to the HDTV. I wasn't particularly happy with what the built in apps had to offer. And Until I added a dedicated PC in the same room, I used a wireless keyboard & IR blaster/extender to control/receive content from a PC in the den. Worked like a charm.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.