Samsung forum

Question

SMART TV deleting Apps

by jakeheat / May 22, 2011 8:55 PM PDT

SMART TV keeps deleting Apps I've downloaded and reinstalling ones I've deleted!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SMART TV deleting Apps
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SMART TV deleting Apps
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
SMART TV deleting Apps -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 23, 2011 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: SMART TV deleting Apps

jakeheat,

Collapse -
Deleting apps
by jakeheat / May 23, 2011 6:24 PM PDT

Thanks for the advice. I've been in touch with Samsung over here, but they've only adviced me to take it to a repair centre. I'm not sure if this wont be a waste of time if it just turns out to be a bug in the latest version of the software.
I think i'll wait and see what happens with sw updates over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks
Jake

Collapse -
SMART TV Deleting Apps
by richsand1234 / June 29, 2011 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Deleting apps

Hi Jake - I too have exactly the same issue, I purchased a UE40D7000 in May, and it often deletes apps that I've selected to install.

Samsung-HDTech, I'm afraid the apps being deleted are not necessarily being updated in the Samsung App store. I often am finding the SMART TV will 'update' my apps list, removing apps I've downloaded, which I then re-install from the app store, and they're the same version/release

The updates appear to occur randomly, and its often the same apps that are being deleted or added to my profile.

I haven't checked whether my TV is in SHOP/HOME mode, but I'm pretty sure I went through all the setup stages to configure the TV for HOME use.

Samsung-HDTech - I think that this is a fault with the SMART TV platform rather than the app themselves.

(I'm based in the UK)

Thanks
Rich

Collapse -
SMART TV Deleting Apps
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 29, 2011 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: SMART TV Deleting Apps

richsand1234,

Collapse -
SMART TV deleting Apps
by shannonZA / August 26, 2011 5:43 PM PDT

Wish we had this service in South Africa. I'm being advised to simply return the unit via the retailer. My TV does exactly that - it deletes apps, and it appears to be random - that I've already downloaded. Annoying.

Collapse -
SMART TV Deleting Apps
by jakeheat / June 29, 2011 6:44 AM PDT

Hi Rich

<div> I did eventually get to the bottom of this.
It turns out the Smart TV software had become corrupted. However at the moment UK Samsung engineers don't have the equipment to erase and re-install the Smart TV's OS, so they had to replace the TVs motherboard.
If you bought your TV as recently as May, then a Samsung engineer will come to your house and fix your TV. Just phone them up on 0845 SAMSUNG with your Serial and model number.

Collapse -
Answer
Same problem with the Blu-ray receiver
by Zeck / April 25, 2012 11:45 PM PDT
In reply to: SMART TV deleting Apps

I was watching mlb.tv last night and all of a sudden, the receiver went into update mode. It erased 15 apps and reinstalled 13, ironically NO mlb.tv, so I had to go to the app store and get it. Then I had to reset the wireless connection (both at the router and on the "Smart but Stupid" receiver). When I fired up mlb.tv, it had lost the "don't show scores" setting and I was watching the replay...so I immediately shut off the Smart Hub and watched the rest of the game on my LG TV's mlb.tv. Interestingly, the sound and picture was much better on the LG!!! So, I think I'll use the Samsung as a "Dumb" receiver and use my LG LED TV and Apple TV (box) for my apps.

Collapse -
Blu-ray Receiver problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 27, 2012 1:38 AM PDT

Zeck,

I'm really sorry about this problem. It's like you have it resolved in way, but I'm guessing you're not satisfied with it, since you're posting here about it. So I want to see if we can get someone to research what your problem actually was.

If you want to get support from either Facebook or Twitter, go here: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-542437/service-issues-click-here-for-help/

We have a very fast turn-around time, generally same day. Hopefully we can get a more permanent fix for you.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung Smart Hub Update deletes apps
by niveusmedia / October 19, 2012 6:05 PM PDT

I have the same issue that has plagued users above. The Samsung update that occurs for the Smart Hub deletes installed apps. This has happened several times and makes me want to kick the tv in. After spending hours downloading and configuring favorite apps, they will simply get deleted. It's a pain enough to login and setup all these apps, one doesn't need them randomly being deleted by a bug in the Samsung updater.

Please help!!! The model I have is the 2012 ES6100 40" and has the latest firmware, although the bug has been seen on earlier firmware, and the latest Oct. firmware.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung Smart Hub Update deletes apps
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 22, 2012 12:14 AM PDT

Hi niveusmedia,

So here's the order of things I'd recommend. First, unless you've already done so, please try a factory reset: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046660&fm_seq=49625

Yes, this will effectively duplicate the symptoms that you've been experiencing, but it may also fix the situation.

Also, could you provide a little more detail for me: are all installed apps getting deleted? Are they only getting deleted upon a firmware upgrade? Is there anything unusual in your network setup, such as being on a VPN? And are you using a US product outside of the US?

Hopefully, I'll be able to help you resolve this issue!

HD Tech

Collapse -
Auto Delete
by niveusmedia / October 22, 2012 3:15 AM PDT

Hi, the apps are being deleted as part of a "Smart Hub Update". I believe what is happening is that your updater is deleting the apps, as part of the update, and then supposed to put them back. A day after I wrote this, the TV received another update and the apps came back. In the past the apps had been deleted as part of a Smart Hub update but never came back.

I believe you are deleting the apps, but your updater is not always putting them back.

I highly recommend you adopt the best practices that Apple does... Samsung should not be deleting or updating 3rd party apps, the apps themselves should be doing that. Your Smart Hub, like an OS update, should update itself without having to delete any 3rd party apps.

Collapse -
Re: Auto Delete
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 22, 2012 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Auto Delete

Hi niveusmedia,

Thanks for your feedback on that. However, this isn't normal behavior. So let's try to narrow down what the cause could be. You said that the updater put the apps back? What firmware version are you on now?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Auto Delete
by niveusmedia / October 22, 2012 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Auto Delete

I am on the latest firmware, the mid October update. That was completed last week, and the update that caused the apps to delete occurred later that same day.

Yes, the following day another update occurred that put the apps back.

When the apps were uninstalled the first time, the update window in the top right said "deleting applications". Prior to that i had said OK to the prompt that said Smart Hub needed to be updated.

Thx

Collapse -
Re: Automatically Deleting Apps
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 22, 2012 7:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Same here - ES406300
by gordknows / January 10, 2013 9:31 PM PST

I bought my tv from Amazon after the New Year, it's got the very latest (last couple of days) firmware upgrade, and it's deleting my apps too. But they don't reappear. It keeps updating and updating, sometimes deleting, sometimes not. Like the others, it makes me frustrated and want to kick the tv in.

Collapse -
Apps being removed, but unable to re-install.
by PMVanDomelen / January 11, 2013 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: Same here - ES406300

I also bought my TV winthin the last month (the ES55UN6100), it was a christmas present to the family. I like to check the weather app in the morning to see what I'm in for when I leave the house at 4:30am. This morning, the app was gone and the Smart Hub went into "update" mode like it did when I powered it on for the first time, showing only the bloatware that came with the TV and nothing else that I had installed additionally from the Samsung market. I went into the Samsung market and tried re-installing the app, but it will not install. She space remaining on the internal drive looks like it didn't go up after the TV "removed" the app, so the data seems to still be in there, I am just unable to access it. I didn't have enough time to mess with it this morning since I was getting ready for work, but the thought of a factory reset did cross my mind. Is there anything else I can do aside from this, or to keep it happening again in the future? I cringe at having to do a factory reset and re-install of all apps every 3 or 4 weeks.

Collapse -
Automatically Deleting apps still happening in 2013
by Tia1778 / January 19, 2013 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Same here - ES406300

We got the tv in dec as an xmas present to family. We get the firmware updates as well, and it always deletes SKYPE..
We have reinstalled 3x and its gone again.
Samsung - NEEDS TO TAKE THIS ISSUE SERIOUSLY!!

Collapse -
There are only a few ways to send a message up.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 4:52 AM PST

1. Call it in.
2. That FaceBook connection.
3. Here.
4. Return the product to the retailer and tell why.

Item 4 is well known to rattle makers the most as when products go back the stores notice and have a chat with the company.
Bob

Collapse -
Auto deleting apps in 2013
by wendybill / April 30, 2013 1:06 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem. I purchaed the TV about a month ago. Is this something specific to some old TV sets or is it the current firmware? I upgraded to the most recent firmware when I set the TV up last month. It's too late to return the TV to Best Buy. This is very frustrating. I wish Samsung would fix this issue. It takes me about 15 minutes to reinstall HBO Go each time I want to watch it, suffer through several "unknown error" screens until I can eventually watch an episode. My husband asked me last night "are we paying for this?" Basically we paid extra for the "Smart TV" so far it is a "dumb TV" most of the time. Samsung please assist. Wendy

Collapse -
Please top post this question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2013 1:10 AM PDT

It sounds like a possible network issue but buried in this discussion I hesitate to start a discussion here. Try a new top post with details about your network as well. For example a friend's setup was trouble until the router folk issued new firmware. They were upset it wasn't the smart tv fault at all.
Bob

Collapse -
Smart Hub updates delete any App I have install
by thebatsLB / November 23, 2013 3:00 PM PST

This is driving me crazy. I installed PLEX and other apps recommended by Samsung, deleted the rubbish apps. On the Smart Hub updates all he apps I installed are deleted and the rubbish reinstalled. This has happen several times. The TV is a UA55D7000
Lyle

Collapse -
Lyle. Can't reply to your post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2013 11:59 PM PST

You may want to create your own new post.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.