Samsung forum

Question

Smart TV connects to router, but not to the internet.

by cran1973 / February 16, 2013 11:36 AM PST

Hi, I just purchased a Samsung Smart TV model UA46ES7100RXXM and a Blue Ray 3D player. Everything is working except that both devices will not connect to the internet. When I run the network configuration, it says:

"Connected to the wired Network, but not to the internet" Then it shows the Mac Address, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS Server. At the button of the Network Settings screen it says:

"Connected to your local network, but cannot connect to the internet. Check the DNS settings in IP Settings, or contact your Internet Service provider to access the Internet." I get the same error with WIFI or Cable.

I tried to get the IP automatically, and also configured it manually, but I got the same error both times. I am in Malaysia and my connection is with Astro Beyond Broadband (24mb).

I am using an Apple Time Capsule as WIFI router. I tried connecting the TV & DVD player via WIFI, and via cable, and followed the network connection instructions. In both cases the TV connects to the router but not to the internet. All my other devices connected just fine, including an LG Blue Ray player, iPhone, and computers so I know for a fact the router is working absolutely fine. My router is configured to provide up to 50 IP addresses, so that is not an issue.

Then, I decided to try a different router (Just in case), and I tried a Cisco/Linksys router I have for spare. I had the exact same result, the TV and DVD player connect to the router both ways (WIFI and Cable), but it will not connect to the internet. Again, I tried all my other devices and they all connect just fine with the router.

Finally, I was able to connect the TV and Blue Ray players to the internet by enabling a Hot Spot through my iPhone 5 and connecting wirelessly to it from the TV and DVD player, so at least now I know the devices have a working firmware. Unfortunately, this solution is only good for a few minutes. My question is, why are my devices not connecting to the internet but only to the router? Are there any settings specifically for Astro Beyond IPTV that I need to setup?

I contacted Astro and they said this is a knows issue and I need to call Samsung

Notes:

- Two Samsung Techs came yesterday, but all they did is tried to change the wifi dongle from the TV, but they received the same error. They were surprised that the TV connects to the Internet using my iPhone hot spot, but not through the router.
- There are no firewalls enabled on either router
- I have reset the TV to factory settings twice already, and the samsung techs also did it.
- I called Samsung and they simply asked me to go to Network and follow the instructions (which I have done several times).

Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smart TV connects to router, but not to the internet.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smart TV connects to router, but not to the internet.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Internet connection prob. (Samsung Smart LED TV UN40D6000SF)
by albakkar / July 30, 2013 4:18 AM PDT

Hi there,

it seems i am facing the same problem. I akeep getting the following message :
"Connected to your local network, but cannot connect to the internet. Check the DNS settings in IP Settings, or contact your Internet Service provider to access the Internet."

Did you solve that problem? I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks

AA

Collapse -
This thread is more than 163 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2013 4:23 AM PDT

While we hope they solved it, I have solved this one too many times. And once in a while it's just a bad board. I strongly suggest you start a new post and check over the top post in the CNET Networking Forum titled for Samsung owners.

Be sure to supply all the details in your new discussion to save the usual back and forth.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm one more step along, but.....
by rico567 / February 17, 2013 1:54 AM PST

I'm trying to get my LN46A650 connected, and I've got the Internet hooked up, because I can access the "Infolink" stuff (weather, news, stocks), which is a service that Samsung evidently contracts for with USA Today. But I can't get my media server to see it as a device so that I can stream video to it (from a Synology DS 213), nor can I find any way to access the media server from the TV.......

Collapse -
You have a reply at the next link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 3:09 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Re: Smart TV connects to router, but not to the internet.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 18, 2013 3:02 AM PST

Hi cran1973,

OK, I'd like to remove your router from the equation if you can. Try a direct wire connection to the modem. If that doesn't work, then contact your ISP. If it works, add the router back in, but wired. Tell me the results.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung Smart tv 8000 connects to Time Capsule (the latest)
by nr1marian / June 21, 2013 9:08 PM PDT

we are happy to say that it worked today; the connection between our beautiful Samsung Smart tv 8000 and the newest Time Capsule.

We used our Western Digital Mediaplayer, there, after some searching we found the time capsule.

Under Networkshare, we found it after clicking a Windows....

I hope this can help some other searchers Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung TV connect to internet via router!
by CableGuy2007 / November 24, 2013 9:26 AM PST

Problem is your router and TV are not sharing the same security parameters (WEP,WPA,WPA2, etc). Start from scratch, first find out what security setting your router is running you can do this by going into the back door of the router, open IE or firefox, on the address bar type 192.168.100.1, that is the back door if the router is protected get that from admin. Once you have that info from your router go back to your TV, go into network settings and >ADD A NEW CONNECTION, type in your routers name (the smiths, Cowboy fans, etc) once you get to the security page PICK THE RIGHT TYPE this has to match what your router is running otherwise you will NEVER be able to connect. Once you do this go to the next steps if any and then lastly your TV will attempt to connect to the network, if the settings on TV and router match you will be connected in no time. Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.