Samsung forum

Smart TV - BBC iPlayer volume issue?

by chris-box / December 8, 2011 5:35 PM PST

I have just bought a Samsung UE32D5520. One of the main reasons I bought this TV was the BBC iPlayer application.

However I am having serious trouble with the volume while playing programmes through iPlayer. If you set volume at level 2 it's too quiet and 3 is really loud!

This is upsetting both my son and my wife and I am seriously considering sending the TV back?

Can you tell me whether there is a fix in the works?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smart TV - BBC iPlayer volume issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smart TV - BBC iPlayer volume issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just to be clear
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 6:12 PM PST

before the Samsung experts chip in.

Do you mean the volume control on the BBC iPlayer app itself, or the TV's own volume control?

For example if the iPlayer app level 2 is too low, what happens when you use the TV remote to increase the volume on the TV itself?

Not that I know anything about it, but the more information you can provide the better able they can respond.

Collapse -
I think that hits the nail on the head!
by chris-box / December 8, 2011 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Just to be clear

Unfortunately the application seems to take control of the volume buttons on the remote. So hitting the volume buttons changes the apps volume (I'd rather have the tv doing its own volume control).

Anyway.. It would appear that the application is handling this badly. I'm wondering if the volume 'doubles' each time you increase it rather than being an incremental increase.

Collapse -
I think that hits the nail on the head! -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 9, 2011 10:53 AM PST

Collapse -
Not the first post about this?
by chris-box / December 9, 2011 2:46 PM PST
Collapse -
Is there a fix yet?
by russep00 / March 26, 2012 10:26 PM PDT

I have the same problem with my UE32D5520. TV remote only works the iplayer volume which is either too loud (3) or too quiet (2).

Has this been sorted?

Collapse -
by adamstarf22 / June 12, 2012 9:57 AM PDT

I find product suppliers to be constantly oblivious to just about everything. The Samsung TVS look great but have soooo many user problems. How a representative of Samsung not know about this volume problem is beyond me. The customer above has described this problem perfectly. I too have the smae problem. Every Samsung Smart TV has the same problem and it is soooo easy to fix! That is what is so annoying, but Smasung would rather just ignore problems like this. The problem is with the BBC i[player coing for the Smasun App. All someone has to do is go back into the code and reduce the volume setting when the remote hits '3' to reduce its output so it is evenly matched and does not result in a deffening change of volume between 2 and 3... come on! Just sort it out! And while you are there fixe the blotches at the edge of the screen and the luminance on the remote contol which is too short a time, and the wireless internet droppouit problem documented all over the internet for 2 years... but then agion you probably wont 8-)

Collapse -
About the WiFi dropout.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2012 11:55 PM PDT

It's such a problem across PCs and more that at times I wonder if this should have ever been brought to the market for consumers. It's not any better today as we ask consumers to change settings or have a technician call and set it up.

Maybe WiFi was not such a great idea?

All Answers

Collapse -
Possible solution
by Googav / May 23, 2012 6:12 AM PDT

I have exactly the same issue, only with BBC iPlayer and it's volume between 2 (too quiet) and 3 (too loud). I have a Samsung LED Smart TV.

I tried going into Menu - Sound - Additional Settings, but the DTV Audio Level is greyed out.

However, if I change the Sound Mood to Standard or Clear Voice, volume 3 is much better.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 23, 2012 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible solution

Thanks for the suggested fix. We are a U.S.-based support team, so we always welcome feedback from overseas customers willing to assist their fellow customers. If some of you try Googav's suggested fix and still are unhappy, we recommend checking out the following link. There may be a discussion thread on the message boards there regarding this issue.

Thank you,

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Possible simple fix - works for me
by DaveM-13 / September 29, 2012 10:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Suggestion

I am aware this is an old thread; however I came across it today searching for a solution and thought I'd share what I discovered.

Go into menu > sound > sound effect > equaliser

Then reduce all of the Hz and kHz sliders by the same amount (I did 9), which makes iplayer volume 3 about right for me. (You can adjust these settings while iplayer is playing, to find a level that suits you. Just remember to change all sliders by the same number so as not to distort the sound)

WARNING - This will reduce the overall volume of your tv, so for normal (non iPlayer) viewing you will need to have the volume on a higher number than you used to.

Hope this helps,

Collapse -
An old thread, but I truly have the ANSWER!!!
by nvb002 / December 19, 2012 9:13 AM PST

I genuinely have the answer! Have had this same problem, it seem a standard issue. The problem can be resolved in a (obtusely) hidden away menu, easily fixed when you know how.
Go to MENU
then, this is the stupid part, go to SPEAKER SETTINGS
and change the AUTO VOLUME to NORMAL.

This regulates the volume from channel to channel, and it seems to work with the iplayer as well. It seems there is somewhat of a loudness war going on between channels (and online services), and this option is designated to regulate this issue. It's hidden, which is unforgivable, took me 10 months before I happened across this option.
I hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.