Phones forum

General discussion

Smart Phones - Pay as you Go?

by chit_n_chat / February 10, 2006 12:32 AM PST

I've seen a few smart phones but really only want to go on pay as you go?

Is there anywhere that does Pay as you go smartphones appart from buying off ebay? Is it risky buying it off ebay?

Will buying an old smartphone off ebay and then putting my old Pay As you go SIM card on there work?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smart Phones - Pay as you Go?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smart Phones - Pay as you Go?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
really not sure??
by madeformotorola / February 10, 2006 12:03 PM PST

smart phones ---- hmm with prepaid ??? wow, thats something new. well smallfry, you cant use data features with prepaid. too bad, so sad

Collapse -
smart phone
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 10, 2006 10:09 PM PST

Which carrier do you use? Yes the smart phone should work but data charges might eat you alive if you do use those features (email, internet browsing, etc).

Collapse -
If you don't mind.....
by smarte92 / February 12, 2006 4:04 AM PST

T-Mobile-To-Go is a pretty good Pay as you Go service. They offer the Sidekick II as a prepaid option, too. While the Sidekick II isn't really the "smartest" phone, I would give it a try.

Collapse -
Pay as you go smart phones are coming. its inevitable.
by tedleski / May 19, 2010 1:02 AM PDT

I know this reply is a little late. but better late than never.

check this out.

as far as i know its only available in europe right now, but i remember waay back about three years ago i was signed up with Sprint and then the economy tanked about the time i was living in New York City and metro pcs (first major pay as you go service), came out. I got it. just a few years prior to that It was unheard of to get a flat rate of 40 bucks a month and recieve full text, and cell service.

My point is that the same is going to happen with smart phones, as people get tired of "data plan webs of confusion". In other words you will be able to go into any mobile phone store with a 100 bucks and walk out with an awesome smart phone with full functionality internet, email, touchscreen and everything.

Collapse -
It's already here- Page Plus
by Pepe7 / May 20, 2010 4:39 AM PDT

You can bring in at least some of the Verizon branded smartphones and activate them on Page Plus prepaid service. Some of the smartphones are prohibited though. For a relatively modest user wanting to use a smartphone it's a good choice perhaps.

There should be some discussion on which handsets are allowed at I'd also poke around at the Page Plus site to see what the current terms are.

Collapse -
Virgin Mobile prepaid phone/data plans
by StefanLasiewski / June 11, 2010 10:00 AM PDT

Virgin Mobile now offers the Blackberry 8530 Smartphone, on a prepaid phone/data plan of $30 per month. A 'prepaid' plan isn't quite the same as a pay-as-you-go plan, but this might be worth considering.

I've heard there are other smartphones from other pay-as-you-go providers.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.