Samsung

Question

Smart Hub Netflix Issue

by mserabian1 / January 16, 2012 10:59 PM PST

Hey guys
Wondering if you folks can help me out. I've just bought a new 8000 series samsung tv and I'm having one issue with the smart hub that's driving me crazy! When I click on Netflix, I get a message "unable to connect to Netflix, please try again." All the other apps work fine, and I can connect to Hulu, Vudu, the browser, etc all with no issues. I also got a free samsung blu-ray player and on that version of the smart hub, I can connect using the Netflix app!!! argh!!! I've talked to Netflix, Samsung, and Fios my internet provider and all of them are absolutly no help. Some other information: the version of Netflix on the smart hub is 3.1.001, the verion of Netflix on the blu-ray is 2.0.1, my service provider is Fios, my fios router is the actiontec. ANy help would be greatly appreciated! thanks mal

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smart Hub Netflix Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smart Hub Netflix Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
FIOS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 2:50 AM PST

The debacle appears to be continuing. I can't assure you this will work but one of the things that may help is to use the Google DNS (servers.) We note that in the CNET Networking Forum in the "Samsung owners start here" tips thread.

I know, I know, who wanted to become a network engineer?
Bob

Collapse -
facing exactly the same problem
by MJ_21 / January 21, 2012 3:27 PM PST
In reply to: FIOS

i set up new Samsung 46" LED TV yesterday and have been facing exactly the same problem. Everything appears to be working fine in the Smart Hub except for Netflix. I reset Smart Hub couple of time and also reset my Samsung HDTV couple of times. First time the Netflix app version was 2.1 now it is 3.1 but the problem still persists. No idea how to take care of this. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Collapse -
Did you try the Google DNS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2012 12:59 AM PST

I can't tell what you have tried and if you have created that Samsung account.
Bob

Collapse -
Not working on my 2012 UN55ES7500
by CPngN / February 16, 2013 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: FIOS

I have reset Media Hub, the whole TV, and upgraded to the latest firmware avail as of Feb 16 2013. I have been trying to get this to work for months, and even this new "revelation" of manually setting DNS to 8.8.8.8 and manual clock setting do nothing. On both my TV and my BD6500 bluray player I get "Not Support" (all this time and they have yet to fix that bad English!) when I bring up About Smart Hub. Nefflix continues to give me to the same problem mwpaulson was having.
I went back and forth with the supposedly excellent Facebook based Samsumg Mobile Support crew and they had no answers. Is there an engineer somewhere reading these forums who can actually fix this problem!?

Below is a summary of the info requested for both devices.

TV Blu-ray Player
Model: UN55ES7500 BD-E6500-ZA
Firmware version: T-ECPAKUC-1041.1, BT-S/I/G BSP-E6500WWB-1053.2
Netflix App version: 3.105 3.105
Smart Hub Version: 4.531-5.0 4.5051-5.0
Netflix ESN: Not Support Not Support
Serial Number: Z4QU3CVCxxxxxxx Blank on screen!

Collapse -
Call it in NOW.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 2:58 AM PST

There are more reasons for this such as the firewall and more that we discussed in many posts. This is a post from 2012, over a year ago so I am guessing you tried all the tips we have offered.

Call it in and if they can't fix it, consider returning it.
Bob

Collapse -
I may be an engineer but.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2013 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Call it in NOW.

All I can do here is supply the tips. My brother does house calls and training on this and more but he tells me that folk seem unhappy to pay for the work.

Again, if they can't fix it, get something that works.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Not working on my 2012 UN55ES7500
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 18, 2013 1:20 AM PST

Hi CPngN,

Try the Netflix Konami code: http://support.netflix.com/en/node/428#gsc.tab=0

And if that doesn't work, then message me by going to my username just above this message; click on it; and then click email in the upper right corner. Be sure to include your summary, as that was very helpful. Also, include the following info:

Connection Speed to ISP: ???
Network environment: Wired/Wireless (Home/Office/Public)
Router model: ???

For Wireless
Distance to Wireless Router: ???
Channel Broadcasting: ???

MAC address: ???
IP address: ???
Gateway: ???
DNS server: 8.8.8.8?
Unique ID/ ESN number: ???

How to check network info: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=341966

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
THis worked for me...
by mserabian1 / January 22, 2012 1:05 AM PST

Hey guys

Collapse -
This worked for me to
by RichardFL / December 14, 2012 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: THis worked for me...

Manual Date set followed by DNS change to 8.8.8.8 solved this problem for me

Collapse -
Thank you
by slarrieux / December 31, 2012 6:05 PM PST
In reply to: This worked for me to

This worked for me thx for info...changed DNs on tv and now it works now I'm hoping this worked for the rest of apps such as pandora.....excellent info....!!!!

Collapse -
Answer
Its your TV time. Netflix synchs with your TV time
by dru118 / February 12, 2012 8:27 AM PST

Its your TV time. Netflix synchs with your TV time so it has to be correct. Correct your Samsung TV time by going to your Plug and Play then to to time. Do manual clock instead of automatic and set your time to your correct time in your area. This should fix it. No need to return the TV.

Collapse -
That did the trick
by wentzor / February 12, 2012 9:02 AM PST

Apologies, I wasn't on this thread earlier but I had the same issue with my Smart TV. Setting the Manual clock worked great -- can't thank you enough! This saved me a dreaded call to Samsung.

Collapse -
Answer
Its your TV time. Netflix synchs with your TV time so it has
by dru118 / February 12, 2012 8:28 AM PST

Its your TV time. Netflix synchs with your TV time so it has to be
correct. Correct your Samsung TV time by going to your Plug and Play
then to to time. Do manual clock instead of automatic and set your time
to your correct time in your area. This should fix it. No need to return
the TV.

Collapse -
Smart Hub Netflix Issue by mserabian1
by rs_77 / February 28, 2012 10:18 PM PST

I changed the time to manual and tired netflix again and the same message unable to connect

Collapse -
New Info about Netflix not working.
by mwpaulson / February 29, 2012 3:35 PM PST

Mine wont even pop up the Activation Screen. It says "Were unable to connect you to Netflix. Please try again or visit www.netflix.com/tvhelp for guidance."

I was told to check the Smart Hub>>Settings>>Properties>> Detail and look at Netflix ESN.. mine says "Not Support [X]" so it's covered under warrenty and they setup a service tech to come out for free to check it out. Tired of trying to fix this problem.. hopefully the tech can. This TV is confirmed to support Netflix.

FYI I reset the TV, Smart Hub, changed DNS and switched clock to auto and manual.. all other apps work but Netflix. Netflix says it's Samsung, Samusng says it's Netflix.. but now with this new info Samsung admits it's Samsung. I'll keep you updated.

TV: UN46D6000SFXZA

Collapse -
Answer
I had the same problem - I update the firmware
by boomguy1 / March 2, 2012 1:51 AM PST

I had the same problem - I followed the firmware update as specified on the Samsung web site. Now Netflix works just fine.

Collapse -
??
by mwpaulson / March 2, 2012 3:13 AM PST

Could you post to link to where you followed it as specified?

Collapse -
nevermind issue resolved.
by mwpaulson / March 4, 2012 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: ??

Samsung fixed my issue with Netflix, if anyone on this thread is still having issues email smsupport@sea.samsung.com and they can fix you right up.

Collapse -
Same Problem!
by JoeVWGTI / December 17, 2012 11:38 AM PST

I have this exact same problem, 55" TV is the only different. I look forward to hearing what's fixing this. I have manually set DNS(for no reason), manually set the time(again, seems like no reason, it was fine before set by my router), I can stream Youtube, Hulu, web, ..anything else I'd like from the TV's apps, just NOT netflix, I got "Not Support"

Collapse -
Answer
Reset
by Olsnji / May 14, 2012 11:06 AM PDT

Go into smart hub (actual smart hub on Samsung where you would normally go straight iinto Netflix) with Internet access, once in smart hub, press the blue "D" button on remote and reset smart hub. It will then reset itself, update itself, and all is good. On one bd player I had to reset my Netflix account info, not on other, but it worked on both. Simple solution I have not read anywhere, but put together from other posts.

Collapse -
Reset for sure
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 15, 2012 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Reset

To all,

Olsnji instructions are correct. For most users, the hard reset and power cycling is fixing the issue. Different devices have different methods for resetting them, so find out your device's method.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Smart Hub Netflix Picture Size
by duperdella / May 20, 2012 9:33 AM PDT

I just purchased a 65 inch d8000 LCD and a 64inch PN64e7000 Plasma. I am having trouble adjusting picture size on the PN64E7000 plasma only. It happens only while streaming Netflix through the Smart Hub. I reset the Smart Hub and then I did a reset of the TV as instructed by Samsung's live chat. The problem still persists.

The P.SIZE button on the remote does nothing during Netflix. If I go under menu>picture>screen adjustment I jet a window popping us that states "this function is not available" . If I press the tools button I also do not get the option to change picture size. I have no problem changing picture size when watching TV through my cable box. These functions also work perfectly on my 2011 model LCD D8000.

I am currently getting no where during my second live chat with Samsung. They want to tell me that the option is not possible.... but why in the world would it work flawlessly on my 2011 LCD I just purchased. My children mostly watch a lot of TV programs on Netflix which are NOT 16:9. This is why it is important to be able to stretch the picture for better viewing experience.

I would be curious to know if anyone else can change picture size on Netflix via Smart Hub on their PN64e7000 Plasma or any 2012 model for that matter. If you know how to fix the problem you will have run circles around "Rosemary" and "Sasha" at Samsung live chat.

Collapse -
Smart Hub Netflix Picture Size
by makishore / December 28, 2012 2:22 PM PST

Hello
I am facing same issue with netflix display on my samsung 40 LED smart TV. Can you please let me know how you were able to overcome this?

thanks
Kishore

Collapse -
If you look up, the common fixes were.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 3:03 PM PST

Set the date and time.
Use the Google DNS entries.

Bob

Collapse -
How?
by journalism_prof / January 15, 2013 11:15 PM PST

Can someone tell me where/how to reset the Google DNS entry? I don't know where to find that in the settings menu. My Netflix was working, but it has stopped. The situation is making me batty.

Collapse -
Usually in the router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 11:54 PM PST
In reply to: How?

It's an option in most routers.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: How?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2013 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: How?

Hi journalism_prof,

It's best if you tells us your whole story, as sometimes that is the solution, but I don't want it to not work, and you be left stumped. So what's your complete model code? When did it stop working? What happened around the same time it stopped working?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Whacky problems
by journalism_prof / January 16, 2013 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re: How?

Well, it has come back on, but it is loading up very, very slowly. It also has dropped out six times while I was writing this message began reloading the film. I have no idea what's going on. Nothing else seems to have changed. My computer is working fine on the wifi.

I have regular problems with Netflix on this Blu-ray player, but today's problems are different. I often get an error message telling me that the service is down and giving me the option to try again or exit. Usually, after two exits I can get it to come back up. Sometimes, when I load Netflix, it freezes when I get to the menu which shows me all of the films that are available. I can't get anywhere. I have to completely turn off the blu-ray player and start over.

I have the Samsung BD-e5700 blu-ray player. I also have a Samsung TV. I don't know the model of that off-hand. If you need it I can get it when someone is here to help me move the TV.

Collapse -
Re: Whacky problems
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 18, 2013 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: Whacky problems

Hi journalism_prof,

So when you say Netflix is dropping out, do you mean that it's constantly rebuffering, as in it gets to a point in the film and stops and loads some more and then continues from that point? Or is it restarting the film? Or is it crashing altogether?

Also, is this the only app giving you this problem?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
Same issue...
by davelalande / June 16, 2012 12:04 AM PDT

I had the same issue with a Samsung DVD player and I set the DNS to Google 8.8.8.8 and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.