Samsung

Question

Smart Hub deleting my apps?

by craigbear / February 27, 2013 11:48 PM PST

Bought a new (well, refurbished, but new to me) BD-E5900 blu-ray player earlier this week, and I'm having some problems with Smart Hub. Specifically, every single time I go into it, I get a message (sometimes right away, sometimes about three or four minutes in) that "Smart Hub needs to be updated" -- following which the "update" consists of systematically deleting every single app that I've installed.

I'm aware from doing a Google search that other people have reported the same problem in the past; however, I wasn't able to find a satisfactory solution as I've already tried all the reset procedures and they haven't changed anything.

Now, to be fair, the update warning does give me a chance to cancel it before it starts throwing stuff out. However, it is quite annoying to have to manually stop a machine from throwing out all my stuff every single time I want to use it (I, for one, do NOT welcome our new robot overlords) -- and if and when there ever *is* a real SmartHub update that I genuinely need to apply, I'll have no way to differentiate.

So is this fixable, or did I get stuck with a dodgy model?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smart Hub deleting my apps?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smart Hub deleting my apps?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Smart Hub deleting my apps?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 28, 2013 12:20 AM PST
Collapse -
spitballs
by craigbear / February 28, 2013 1:30 AM PST

Well, I do have the most up-to-date firmware, and I had already tried the hard reset. So that, in and of itself, doesn't help much.

Something just occurred to me, however. I don't know all the precise nuances of exactly how SmartHub works, so I'm just spitballing and don't actually know if this is a real answer or not. A refurbished player could easily have been originally purchased just about anywhere in the world, and I know that different countries have different eligibilities in the app store because of content and rights restrictions -- but I don't know whether the SmartHub platform itself applies its own zone restrictions on top of those inside the app store that affect which apps I'm allowed or not allowed to download.

So is it possible at all that my problem results from a conflict between the applications that are available for my country (Canada) in the app store and the applications that my player thinks *it* is or isn't allowed to run because of wherever it was originally purchased?

Collapse -
Re: Smart Hub deleting my apps?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 28, 2013 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: spitballs
Collapse -
progress!
by craigbear / February 28, 2013 6:29 AM PST

Thanks. I did that, and have gone back in and out a few times to test without running into the problem again, so things are looking good. I'll keep an eye on it and update this thread again if the problem recurs, but for now I'll presume that it's fixed. Cautious yay! Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: progress!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 28, 2013 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: progress!

Hi craigbear,

Good to hear! Please do update us if you have any further problems or even a lack of them!

HD Tech

Collapse -
update
by craigbear / March 1, 2013 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re: progress!

All still good as of this morning. Watched my first Netflix movie on it last night, and despite getting deleted a couple of times vTuner even managed to hang onto all the streams I'd bookmarked as favourites. So I guess it's officially solved, and if the problem ever does recur it'll be more likely a different issue that somehow altered my country setting again.

Gotta say, I've always been really happy with the Samsung products that I've owned (every mobile phone I've ever had has been a Samsung, right up to my current Galaxy S3, and I just recently bought a Galaxy tab after an unsuccessful dalliance with a generic knockoff tablet.) So I'm genuinely relieved that this turned out to be a minor hiccup rather than the first Samsung product I've ever had to throw out my apartment window Happy

Thanks again.

Collapse -
(NT) You're most welcome! -- HD Tech
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 1, 2013 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: update
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.