Laptops

General discussion

SMART Drive Warning

by probablecause / March 11, 2011 10:00 AM PST

I Keep getting the smart drive error telling me my Hard Drive is going bad on my Laptop. I run disk checks, etc. and no errors are found on the drive. Not sure how much stock I should be putting into the warning. I have had hard drives crash in the past and there were usually pretty good indicators that led up to them going bad.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SMART Drive Warning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SMART Drive Warning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2011 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: SMART Drive Warning

It's like that check engine light. The car does not stop.

THIS IS WELL DISCUSSED so I won't duplicate prior discussions and advise that you be ready for the fail.
Bob

Collapse -
That warning was put there so
by orlbuckeye / April 18, 2011 3:43 AM PDT

as a warning. The warning could have been please move or back up your data or ytou will lose it forever. You get no warning when it fails the warning is there to let you prepare for the failurs and not be stuck in the mud with lost data.

Collapse -
Re: SMART Drive Warning
by pip22 / April 23, 2011 11:53 PM PDT
"I run disk checks, etc. and no errors are found"

The error checking tool built into Windows (& other similar tools) only checks for file-system errors which cannot tell you about the mechanical state of the drive itself - so don't be misled by those results.

If SMART says the drive is going bad, then take it seriously. It's going bad & will only get worse. If you want proper confirmation, test it with the drive maker's own diagnostic software, links here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

But you had better back up all your files on that drive as soon as possible if you haven't already. A failing drive will fail completely sooner than later, and that means backing up will be impossible.
Collapse -
smart drive software and virus
by donaldcarroll / March 19, 2012 12:15 AM PDT

New name for old virus smart drive and track.net hit me on 16 March in a Microsoft auto updates, generated a IEsystem eventlog requiring administratior rights to read. Signed on as administrator and got phony log but encrypted IE and other programs by relocating or changing file types.

Really bad news loaded a limited copy of Google chrome so that it could access internet to allow credit card extortion.

really bad news

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.