PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Small Computer Companies

by aquaman04 / May 9, 2007 10:40 AM PDT

I am in the business of buying a new computer and the high prices of big name companies has influenced me to look into smaller name companies. Is this a good descion?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Small Computer Companies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Small Computer Companies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2007 11:23 AM PDT

I haven't found the small company to do better except in choice. The cost advantage wasn't there but they did supply my choice on demand.

I won't comment further about a shop that installs the pirate copy of XP and Office.

Bob

Collapse -
Up to you
by Willy / May 9, 2007 12:56 PM PDT

The pluses and minus of computer buying has to weighted. You may find that actually buying OEM(big cos.) offer a bundle package that is cheaper than what a local or 3rd party can build it for. But, the 3rd party supplies full OS versions and all the disks, etc. and more apt to answer your support questions promptly or not, at least you can understand them. Wink Then again, warranty issues could be harder to honor or s/w issues, etc. it all factors in. I basically, ask, just what makes you feel comfortable. AND please don't settle for pricing alone as that has lead many user to pay later in whatever terms to become happy again.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Buying at bulk saves a lot of money
by william551 / May 10, 2007 6:34 AM PDT

if you work for an IT company. I did for a few summers and would get my computer cheap. But nowadays theres probably a lot of difference between a gaming pc and a business pc.

Those smaller companies tend to have contracts with businesses. Thats why I mention the buying in bulk. The smaller companies are just trying to get in the game. So they often out bid the major brands.

Collapse -
Be careful...
by BassBinDevil / May 10, 2007 10:35 AM PDT

One problem with buying from smaller companies is the risk that they've cut corners on parts like cases and power supplies which are critical to the reliability of your PC. Dell can buy good stuff cheap because they deal in massive quantities. Little guys will be tempted to build your computer from junk so that their prices can stay competitive, and will sell you a computer that is doomed to fail because the case doesn't have enough ventilation for the hard drive.

Collapse -
I've seen this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 10, 2007 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Be careful...

They used power supplies that worked for the first year. It wasn't that they were being that cheap but they just didn't have the years of experience to know to fit bigger than just big enough supplies to stay away from trouble. It's also a market issue. The buyers are looking solely at price and you get what you pay for.

Bob

Collapse -
Thats true
by william551 / May 11, 2007 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: I've seen this one.

A business pc wouldn't need a big PSU. But as far as cutting corners, man that guy worked all day and all night. He didn't cut any corners. He just wanted the contract.

Actually, I kinda think that the smaller companies are better than the bigger companies. More devoted, I guess.

Collapse -
So how do you educate everyone?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2007 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Thats true

That big PSU is not for what you may think. It's so that in 2 years after the capacitors age you don't have to replace the PSU or suffer odd and hard to pinpoint random reboots.

Do you know about this issue?

Bob

Collapse -
There are more fundimental issues for the buyer
by jconner / May 11, 2007 1:51 AM PDT

The small builder (SB) may be closed in 6 months so who supports the product?

SB is at Mom's for the week, where is that phone in support? (albeit India isn't such a great experience either).

Replacements - does SB have enough inventory to satisfy your needs when it fails or do you wait until SB fixes it?

However SB can at times provide a custom build which is purpose fit to the customer's needs and uses high-end technology that might not otherwise have a market.

As always its up to the buyer to do some research. In my business I use both big company products and purpose built stuff. At home I do it myself because its fun and rewarding and I don't really believe I'm saving money, though its fun to think so.

Collapse -
When I worked IT
by william551 / May 11, 2007 10:19 PM PDT

I never had a PSU problem. Bad memory, or a bad cd player. But no PSU stuff. Plus, the guy was on call for just about anything.

Tech support for PCs has never been that exclusive. With boards like this one? Or others? You can always seem to find help with your computer problems without relying too heavily on the manufacturer. Its not the same as say a refrigerator or an automobile. And smaller companies will usually bend over backwards for you.

Yup. I worked a business that ordered their PCs in bulk and that where I got mine. It was a lot cheaper than the big brand names. And all the components were easy to replace.

Collapse -
e-bay
by ramiroalejo / May 11, 2007 2:04 PM PDT

I would try and get either a used or new brand name computer off of e-bay. However, I also insist that if you get a computer from e-bay that you buy a warranty from squaretrade who charge you 10% of the the total price for the warranty either 2 years or 3, depending if its new or used. I got a solid e-machines computer for just under $200 and the warranty was less than $20. Also, if you do decide to buy a computer from e-bay, make sure you know what your getting and try and buy from a user who has over 50 positive feedback.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.