Cameras forum

General discussion

SLR Vs Non SLR.....

by augmrao / November 27, 2009 10:38 PM PST

I have been using cameras both film and digital but I still could not exactly follow how to make a selection of a digital camera with choice of lenses focal distances and how SLR will help getting a better picture

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SLR Vs Non SLR.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SLR Vs Non SLR.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 27, 2009 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: SLR Vs Non SLR.....

Getting a better picture is mostly dependent upon the person holding the camera.

The more expensive cameras will let you get good pictures in difficult or unusual situations. But it requires that you know something about photography.

When shooting in low light the DSLR has the advantage because of its larger CCD or CMOS sensor assembly.
A larger sensor assembly has larger pixels.
Larger pixels can produce more light for the camera.
The disadvantage is, a larger sensor assembly requires a larger lens, which requires a larger camera.
A larger camera means more weight, which is actually good.
A heavy camera is easier to hold steady.

All DSLR cameras have manual controls so that you can adjust for difficult and special situations.

Only about 5 percent of the non-DSLR cameras have exposure related manual controls.
And even that 5 percent do not have as many manual controls as a DSLR camera.

Collapse -
Superficial, moi ?!!
by fihart / November 28, 2009 12:12 AM PST
In reply to: DSLR - NON DSLR

Having owned some really nice 35mm cameras -- Leica 111G and Canon F1n I'm firmly convinced of the superiority of SLR -- for film-type cameras.

I can't get enthusiastic about DSLR's at all. They're ugly and enormous and kinda plastic looking. Though they doubtless take better pics than a pocket digital, these are more desirable objects. I guess the real advantage of SLR was seeing the image at a decent size while framing and being able to focus accurately -- which (sunlight allowing ) is now always the case with even the smallest digital cameras.

I would however make a case for an optical viewfinder -- and that seems to be being left off so many new digital cameras.

For the best of all possible worlds -- small size, great picture quality, good controls, optical viewfinder -- you only have one choice: Canon G11.

It even looks like a real camera -- not like a ladies powder compact (yes, you Panasonic).

Collapse -
I'd say
by jump1127 / November 28, 2009 2:15 PM PST

that the man behind any camera does matter mostly ! No matter how good your camera is; the picture outcome is still decent if he doesn't know how to shoot. No offense, but a fact ! A DSLR camera is for someone who want to get seriously with the photography, and try something beyond any P&S camera can do. For instance, CPL filter, color filters, gel & flashes, supertelephoto lenses, small depth of field, and etc.

The limits are upon each camera's performance. You can't get a small camera providing excellent picture quality at every shooting aspects. Today, many P&S digital cameras are extremely excellent. I own many P&S and DSLR cameras as well. Each one serves me well under the different apsects. So, before you haste and purchase any camera, get to know what you really need and what for. Good luck.

Collapse -
Cameras and photography
by hjfok / November 28, 2009 6:16 PM PST

Photography is an art of capturing light. There are many ways you can choose the exposure to express your vision and creativity. The camera body is the black box, the sensor or the film is the recording medium, and the lens focuses the light onto the recording medium. There are several simple physical laws of optics that defines the characteristics of the lens choice, yielding a variety of photographic effects. Having a working knowledge of how to manipulate the camera settings to achieve the desired exposure and effect is a critical part of photography. The SLR or SLR-like cameras give you more control and thus freedom to create your vision. Using automatic mode surrenders your thinking and decision to the camera's processor, and resulted in a photo that is more or less the same as everyone else.
However, there is another side of photography, which can be used as a tool to tell a story or create a content. In this case, the photograph is more than just a pretty picture but it may convey the emotions or point of view of the photographer. As an analogy, a good movie does not necessarily need superb cinematography, the content can be more important than the visual effects.
Therefore what camera you need depends on what kind of photographer you are. It is the photographer who makes the photo, and the camera is just the tool.

Collapse -
Why I prefer an SLR
by LucJs / November 30, 2009 4:56 AM PST

The good thing is that you have a better view of the picture that you're going to make and that you can see all the settings without removing your eye from the viewfinder. That gives you better control.

Personally, I'm a bit in love with my Panasonic DMC-G1 (hope it lasts). It looks like an SLR but the viewfinder is in fact also a screen. It also gives you full control and you see the picture you've taken, immediately after taking it, also without taking your eye of the viewfinder. You even can see the depth of field very clearly in the viewfinder.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.