Computer Help forum

General discussion

Slow to shut down

by b06jeo / November 12, 2011 12:51 AM PST

Running a Dell Studio XPS 9100 with Win 7 64 bit. Up until recently it would shut down within 10 seconds. Lately it has been taking 5 minutes or more to shut down. This is not like the other problem I have seen in the forum, where there is a shut down and then it restarts itself. Have checked for viruses, defragged it, removed recently installed programs, etc. Still have the problem. Don't see anything unusual running before trying to shut down. Can't tell what the system is trying to close once the shut down process is started. Help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
b06jeo

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow to shut down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow to shut down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Event Viewer may help
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 13, 2011 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Slow to shut down

Make a note of the time of shutdown when this next happens then when you reboot, check the Event Viewer for Windows logs for both Application and System. Check the times to see if anything is causing such a long shut down period.

Mark

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by oldad1955 / December 12, 2012 8:49 AM PST

I have a Gateway SX2803 with Win 7 64bit system. I have been trying every possible way to troubleshoot this system to find why the shutdown sequence has gotten so long. MS 'fix-its' don't seem to help. I tried safebooting and using MSCONFIG from the 'run' menu to only enable minimum processes after restarting and then shutting down again and the problem still exists. The was a program that tracked shutdown times for each process but there was no way I could find to disable those. When you are doing system maintenance that requires frequent rebooting then this issue is far from insignificant. Any Ideas anyone?

Collapse -
Just Another Thought...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 11:22 PM PST

Occasionally, there are issues with files and the drive which can be corrected with the "Chkdsk" utility.. First, delete all junk files such as those in the Temporary Internet Files folder and all the "Temp" folders.. Once that's done, run a Disc Defrag if you haven't in a while.. Once that's done, run the Chkdsk utility using the instructions below:

Click on Start-Computer to see the various drives in "My Computer". RIGHT click on the "C" drive listing, choose "Properties" from the list, then click on the "Tools" tab, then click on the "Check Now" button in the "Error Checking" section.. When that opens, place a CHECK mark in both boxes listed there and click on the "Start" button. You'll then receive a popup indicating that Windows can' run the scan while it's in use, SO....click on the "Schedule a disc check" button. Once that's done, restart the computer and Chkdsk will run when it boots up.. THIS SCAN WILL TAKE AN HOUR OR MORE....so please don't turn off the computer till after the scan is finished.. If you've not done this before, the scan will show a DOS type screen, not a typical Windows display.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.