Computer Help forum

General discussion

slow to load web pages

by praxsdad / June 11, 2008 2:55 AM PDT

i am running windows 2000 ,use Avira anti virus , have not had any trouble till 3 days ago when suddenly my Pc is very slow to load any web pages it take almost 2 mins just to get to internet explorer MSN home page anyone have any ideas ? i have run a scan with super anti spy ware and no results ANY help of suggestions would be welcomed

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slow to load web pages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slow to load web pages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do other browser fair better?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2008 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: slow to load web pages

And what do you do about pest control?

Collapse -
no all web pages load VERY slow
by praxsdad / June 11, 2008 3:32 AM PDT

it dosent matter what page or browser i try they all run very slow takes me 2 mins to get to yahoo mail and it seems to be getting worse
i did have AVG on my PC but i tryed Avira and it did discover a trojen and removed it but it was of no help

Collapse -
That trojan can do untold damage. Let's repair the winsock.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2008 4:57 AM PDT

Fixing the Winsock. The old Windows 2000 way to do it was to add another protocol, remove the tcp/ip protocol, and then add it back. Remove the other protocol when done.

Sorry but I'm going to shortchange you on step by step since this is Windows 2000 Professional where I'd expect it's owners to be able to get it done with just simple instructions.

Collapse -
Slow function(s)
by Phil Crase / June 11, 2008 4:46 AM PDT

Assuming you did some free downloads for security purposes, that could be part of the issue. recommend purchasing some decent anti virus anti spyware software and perhaps using Mozilla or Opera as web browser instead of IE. Before you install new security software it is important to purge other (prior) softwares (security) from system to preclude potential conflicts. Removal of prior software loads can be tricky so be careful, especially when doing embedded removal from the registry. Best of luck.

Collapse -
Tell us a bit about your connection ...
by Edward ODaniel / June 11, 2008 4:49 AM PDT

dialup or broadband?

any router involved?

Unless yours is strictly dialup, try rebooting modem and then router then using IPCONFIG to release then to renew leases.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.