Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow start up too much stuff in startup

by MARBLEANN / June 18, 2009 3:08 AM PDT

I am inquiring about a Dell 1500 vostro, XP Professional 2002 service pack 3. It is my roommates computer. He knows it start up is as slow as molasses and there are a few programs such as Windows live messenger and MSN that he does not want to start up with the computer. It really slows it down. So how can we get rid of those programs in the start up? But I also looked at the performance of the computer under the task manager and it is running on average at about 50% and there are a mess of programs there. I know that is not good. How can we get rid of all of this seemingly junk so the computer will run more efficiently and start up smoother? I already looked at a thread but it was dealing with another OS and I am not that computer savvy. Thanks for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow start up too much stuff in startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow start up too much stuff in startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: Slow start up too much stuff in startup
by caktus / June 18, 2009 5:09 AM PDT

To remove global startup items (for all user accounts.)
Go to Start > Run > type in MSCONFIG > click OK > Startup tab. Uncheck the programs that you do not want to run at startup then click Apply > OK. Then restart the computer.

To remove startup items in a particular User's account go to Start > All Programs > Startup > and delete undsired programs.

In either case do not remove from Startup any necessary programs such as anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc. A good place to look is http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm
Or if a startup program is not listed just Google it's name. If in doubt about weather a program should be removed it may be best to leave it alone.

Charlie

Collapse -
Task Manager Processes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 18, 2009 6:09 AM PDT

Those entries in the Task Manager > Processes tab are the processes that are loaded into memory so they can be quickly accessed when needed.

You don't say how much RAM this Dell has, but the more RAM there is, the better the performance.

Deciding which Processes are necessary, which are not, and which are possibly malware related, is not an easy, 'one click' task, and some research will need to be done. But in general terms for XP, any more than 40 Processes in total may be too many.

Malware will often set up its own processes, and the only way to prevent that is to guard against malware. For that the computer needs;

1] A Firewall, to prevent hackers from getting in and taking over the computer, all too often without the users knowledge.

2] An Anti-virus utility, always running in the background, always kept up to date, and full system scans done once a day.

3] Two or three anti-spyware utilities, all kept up to date, one of which runs in the background, and all three used regularly to perform full scans, (but not necessary each day). Why more than one? Spyware takes many forms, and no single anti-spyware utility finds them all.

For information on each Task Manager process running, use the site below to find out more about each process individually;
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

You may also want to check which Services are running. You can do this by going to Start > Run, type in services.msc and clicking OK.

In the Services Console you can highlight and double click each entry to learn more and to change its state if required. The Elder Geek's guide to services is very useful for finding out more;
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Have a look at Jimmy Greystone's advice for a safer, more secure Windows PC. It's very good;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?messageID=2750820&tag=forums06;posts#2750820

Mark

Collapse -
Program problem
by MARBLEANN / June 18, 2009 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Task Manager Processes

Thanks to everybody who helped me . I have working on this for hours. There are a few more questions. I went through the task manager lists and went to see what programs I should get rid or disable or keep at the website I was referred to. But there are a lot of programs I do not see listed. Programs such as Objectdock, realsched, rchelper, googletoolbarnot, tmmmonitor, emrctle, dlg, nmbigmonitor, HNM_svc, KADxmain, stsystra. Where can I find if I need them? But right now I am trying to delete a program I just do not need and I am having a problem. I am trying to delete Apple Mobile Device Service which is never used along with IPODservice which is never from the computer and it will not let me. I go to the control panel and go to remove and add software and every time I try to delete the Apple Device Service a pop up come on tells me I am going to lose something and do I want windows to bring it back I push no. It finally seemingly uninstalls but when I go to delete IPOD service it tells me Apple is still installing and I cannot unistall IPOD and then this pop up start counting down. I even shut the computer off. Where can I get rid of this monster at. I am stuck there.

Collapse -
Grif's advice is great
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 18, 2009 8:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Program problem

there is much more detailed information there.

What you are now coming across are the 'bits and pieces' that require more research on your part. Google will help enormously with these. For instance;

1] Objectdock

Googling, What is Objectdock shows me http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/ and their description;

"ObjectDock is a program that enables users to organize their shortcuts, programs and running tasks into an attractive and fun animated Dock. By allowing users to have more control over how they organize their desktop, users can take control of their desktop icons and shortcuts to have them be available when where and how they need them. This, all with the unique style and top-rate performance that ObjectDock is known to deliver!"

That site also has Support Forums.

I believe it includes a Windows graphic replacement called WindowsBlinds, so you can look in the Control Panel > Add/Remove programs for either Stardock, WindowsBlinds, or Objectdock to uninstall it.

{Note: I would reboot, (restart), the computer after each uninstall. This gives Windows the opportunity to reset itself, and to remove any registry entries that are no longer required}.

2] Realsched. You can Google What is Realsched?. but I know from my own experience that this is part of Real Networks, ie the Real Player, a particularly insidious piece of software that creates settings all over the place.

If you re-visit MSCONFIG, (goto Start > Run, type in msconfig, click OK, goto Startup tab then look for all entries for Real, or Real Player, or realsched, etc, and un-select them.

3] rchelper. Google tells me that this is a process related to RegClean Expert Scheduler.

I suspect that can be found in Add/Remove programs under Registry Clean Expert or similar.

Just a note. We don't recommend any so-called Registry Cleaners in these forums. They can cause no-end of problems t the unsuspecting user.

4] googletoolbarnot. By the name I suspect this is a Google Toolbar. Does Add/Remove show any listing for Google or Google Toolbar?

5] "tmmmonitor, emrctle, dlg, nmbigmonitor, HNM_svc, KADxmain, stsystra" - I won't search for all of these, but Googling, What is xxxx? will help you.

6] Apple Mobile Device Service is a Service. I described how to call up the Services Console in my previous post, and this can be disabled from there.

I also found Apple's web site, which gives instructions for uninstalling iTunes, Quicktime, and any Apple services and processes, here;
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1925

You will need to scroll down for the section that relates to this computer. Note how the say to 'restart' the computer after each uninstall.

Anything else you need to uninstall, or check up on, Google really is your friend.

Mark

Collapse -
Over 80 programs in Task Manager
by MARBLEANN / June 19, 2009 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Grif's advice is great

I want to tell everybody that the computer comes on like a charm now. It would not even hibernate correctly before. All this said I haven't even removed a lot of the programs yet. I did remove a few out of the start-up. What a difference. Every single one of you have helped me. There is so much info to decipher because of the vast amount of programs in his Task manager. Probably over 80 in small text and they were not even in alphabetical order. Just to figure what needs to go and not was a major task. I had a headache after a few hours Today I am going to try to uninstall some more useless programs. He does have a registry on the computer and it comes on every time it starts up and after I uninstall. So that is on the hit list. Thanks again.

Collapse -
From The Newbies "Tips" Thread
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 18, 2009 8:34 AM PDT

Some of the same information provided by the others, but this is all in one location

For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance tab" in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank you
by MARBLEANN / June 19, 2009 6:01 AM PDT

Hi! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. There are so many programs in his Task Manager in start up after working on it for hours I needed a 2 extra strength Excedrin's. I am going to work on seeing what the rest of these programs are and uninstalling some today. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Over 50 progams in start up
by MARBLEANN / June 19, 2009 6:56 AM PDT

I went to run and typed msconfig, clicked start up and I thought I was in the middle of a bad sci fi movie. Can someone please tell me what I need so I can get rid of the rest of the stuff. I suspect I need Dells Network Assistant, but maybe I don't. I still have those update for the java, windows and the anti virus icons even though I have them all manually checked as advised. Around 2 icons of monitors x'ed out, total media manager, Remote control(?), Itellsonic Speech Enhancement, BDA TV Monitor, Speech tools, microphone just to name a few. This is a whole different list then the Task manager where I have make sure I can delete something. I just need to know what I absolutely need in my start up. I might of seen somewhere else but this computer is such a mess I am lucky if I remember my name now. Thanks again.

Collapse -
The Information Is Provided In The Link I Gave You
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 19, 2009 8:15 AM PDT

It should take you to a webpage where you can check the various names of program in "msconfig" and decide whether they're needed or not.. The webpage with such information is below:

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

It may take a while to determine the unnecessary startup programs, then UNCHECK them in msconfig, but it should speed up things a bit. And remember, not all of the programs listed in the Task Manager need to be eliminated.. Many are necessary so it's not wise to get too picky about removing everything.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Very careful
by MARBLEANN / June 19, 2009 9:06 AM PDT

Thanks. I have been very picky about removing anything. It is not even my computer and I ask my roommate everything before I do it. So far I removed only around 7 programs. I will take your advice and use the link. One question. If I mistakenly take something out of my start up I can just put it back?

Collapse -
Here's what I do
by traffictipsnow / June 19, 2009 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Very careful

I go into msconfig and go to startup and disable them all. When you restart you will notice that some startup anyway; if they do , they are malware or something like aim or msn im lol. I then disable them and restart again. Then I check only the programs I want to run at startup. Happy

<a href="http://www.traffictipsnow.com/>Traffic Tips</a>

Collapse -
sounds good.
by MARBLEANN / June 20, 2009 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's what I do

Now that sounds pretty easy. Thanks.

Collapse -
Yep, If You UNCHECK The Wrong One, Reverse It..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 21, 2009 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Very careful

It's easy to fix in both the "Services" section and in msconfig. Just go back and re-enable the item you goofed on.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.