Windows 7

Alert

SLOW start up

by Gamer74123 / December 29, 2012 10:23 AM PST

I have tried EVERYTHING to speed up my start up, and NOTHING has worked. What else can I do?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SLOW start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SLOW start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2012 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: SLOW start up

Let's say it's slower than new. We can go back to it's former speed by restoring to the factory load (yes, our files are now gone.)

But given the story so far, it's the only possible answer.
Bob

Collapse -
We need the following information to assist you -
by tallin / December 30, 2012 3:23 AM PST

I think what R.Proffitt is saying is something like the following:

If you are Asking for Technical Help:
Please give us as much information as possible
Some details of your system, brand name, model, desktop or laptop, CPU, RAM, age of the system.
Which OS have you installed?
What were you doing when the problem occurred
Briefly explain what is not working for you and what you were doing when the issue occurred. Have you made any recent changes to your machine? Tell us any error messages displayed.

In the topic description guide us to your problem, don't say "Help I am desperate" which tells us nothing. Give us an example 'Software Problem' for example. Also tell us what you have done to try and fix your problem.

Try and be patient, problems often take some time to research and if you are assisted, please thank the volunteer posting back if your problem has been solved telling us how it was solved....we are all learning too.

Following the above will help us to help you more quickly.

kind regards,

Collapse -
Try Selective Start-Up
by aahnagupta85 / December 30, 2012 4:11 PM PST

Open msconfig from windows. Mark the selective start-up, there you will find start-up , In start-up option just remove the programs that you dont want on windows start-up. As sometimes many unwanted programs run during windows start-up.Just apply the settings , and restart it. Hope your problem will be solved.

Collapse -
Re: Try Selective Start-Up
by Gamer74123 / December 31, 2012 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: Try Selective Start-Up

I've tried all what you said and it's still severely slow. I am almost wondering if it's my computer itself, not the settings.

Collapse -
It could be.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 7:10 AM PST

But until the machine is detailed out such as make, model number we can't comment on that.

If it was slow new, it's likely just a slow PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: It could be
by Gamer74123 / December 31, 2012 3:16 PM PST
In reply to: It could be.

It was fast when I first got it, then it got slow just a couple months ago. Where do I find the make, and model number?

Collapse -
I wonder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re: It could be

If you don't see a make or model, it's usually what they call a clone.

But now that you have revealed it was fast when new, it's not as important about the make and model.

Think over what you installed a few months ago. Torrents, movies, etc?
Bob

Collapse -
Any of the below possibilities
by aahnagupta85 / January 2, 2013 3:55 PM PST
In reply to: It could be.

As this issue can be caused by any of the below possibilities:
Not enough hard drive space.
Left over programs and bad files.
Data Corruption.
Missing Windows updates or outdated drivers.
Corrupt OS.
Malware Affected

Collapse -
Nice list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2013 11:32 PM PST

But what if this was just a slow PC? The OP does not appear to be telling much so the guesses will continue.
Bob

Collapse -
Have you by chance
by itsdigger / December 31, 2012 3:43 PM PST

change anti virus programs lately? Some a/v's really bog you down....just a thought..Digger

Collapse -
Taking it in
by Gamer74123 / January 3, 2013 1:09 AM PST

I've decided to just take the computer in. I am gonna get it fixed by a professional.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.