Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

slow, slower, slowest ... why's my PC slowing down?

by frankliw / April 12, 2008 2:38 AM PDT

Dell Dimension 5100C, XP/SP2, Pentium 4/2.8GHz, 512MB RAM

When new, about 2 years ago, my PC performed fine. Now it runs extremely slowly. Programs load very slowly. It can take more than 2 minutes to load IE. Sometimes you can actially watch the pixels paint line-by-line. Why?

I have Norton Protection Center installed and its LiveUpdate is current.

In what I think may be a related issue, booting takes > 10 minutes and I end up with lots of stuff in the system tray which I then manually terminate. How do I get them to stop loading in the first place?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slow, slower, slowest ... why's my PC slowing down?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slow, slower, slowest ... why's my PC slowing down?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try this
by c19002000 / April 12, 2008 3:27 AM PDT

you can change bootup programs by this way
go to start-run- type there this
then go to tab Startup
just unselect the unwanted programs by looking their name or their program path
this will cure ur booting problem

and, most of time, antivirus softwares are making OS's slow
so,try to find a minimum resoruce handling antivirus software
you can do it by searching google or yahoo for this
"anti virus software reviews"
read those sites and deside ur self wht u need

and,, one thign u can do
windows/prefetch,,, see whether this folder is clean,
it also make windows slow
you can clean them by using free software "CCleaner"

Collapse -
If your PC / Note Book Slow
by mv_hari / May 24, 2010 6:21 PM PDT
In reply to: try this

If your PC / NB is very slow

Please do the following
Step 1: Check the user profile size and make sure the size is below 500mb, if not cleanup
Step 2: Clear the "files & folders" under History, Temp & Temporary Internet Files
Note: If you are not able to view the above folder, Check the box to view the hidden files & folders
Step 3: If the Files and folders under "Desktop / My Documents" are more then 50/100mb, Create folder under C:\ or D:\ drive and move, so that your profile size will come down and increase your NB/PC speed
Note: If the user have excel files with links/formula across the files, please do not move those file
You may go to start>run>msconfig and remove unwanted start-up programs

Collapse -
So have you cleaned it up?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 3:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
Aside from Malware issues...
by 30boxheads / April 13, 2008 1:15 PM PDT

There are a lot of ways to improve your computing speed but the best way of improving it is upgrading your RAM. 512MB of memory simply won't cut it these days. Try adding another 512MB module(or 1Gb) to boost up your system performace.

Things to consider:

1) Defrag your disk drives
2) Make sure you have installed the latest drivers for your PC. Generic drivers from windows might not show the responsiveness you get when installing the latest.
3) Use lighter programs (Norton just eats up a lot of resources therefore slowing down your PC. Try AVG or NOD32 AV programs)
4) Uninstall unecessary software
5) Unclutter your registry by using programs such as CCleaner(as already suggested)
6) (optional) You could try tweak programs such as TweakUI to boost your computing speeds but I usually don't recommend it.

Collapse -
Just so you know
by Jimmy Greystone / April 13, 2008 1:23 PM PDT

Just so you know, there's really nothing to be gained by defragmenting or any sort of rotorooting of the registry. At least not in terms of responsiveness, which is what most people equate with computer performance. Defragmenting can be useful if you do a lot of high end A/V work or run a large database cluster, but the average user won't notice a bit of difference. If the user is unaware that the drive was defragmented, the majority of people wouldn't notice any difference. It's purely a placebo effect, except for the aforementioned scenarios and others similar in nature.

The registry is also just a simple database that stores metadata about programs and the OS. It has such a negligible impact on performance, it may as well be none.

Everything else is generally good advice, though removing unused software also rarely has much of an impact on responsiveness. It's just a good idea in general.

Collapse -
Let's just clarify that a bit
by 4Denise / April 18, 2008 5:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Just so you know

You state that there is no noticeable affect from defragging. I assume you mean defragging the registry. If that is what you mean, then you are right. Messing with the registry is something that should be reserved for people who know how.

If you mean regular defragging, you couldn't be more wrong. The boost in performance is not an illusion, nor is it due to any supposed "placebo affect." This is particularly true if the drive has not been defragged in a long time. Using the disk defragmentation utility that comes with Windows is perfectly safe as long as it doesn't get interrupted while it's working, and there's no reason to avoid it. If the time involved bothers you, then have it run while you're sleeping or out.

Collapse -
Won't adding more RAM just hide the issues?
by frankliw / April 14, 2008 8:51 AM PDT

While adding RAM will surely improve things, it doesn't explain why things have been gradually slowing down over time. It's the same PC using the same amount of RAM, and it used to be just fine. I suspect adding RAM will just hide the issue rather than solve it.

1) Defrag your disk drives
I've done it may times. It doesn't help. (or at least to any noticeable degree.)

2) Install latest drivers
The current drivers are the same ones I used when things used to be OK.

3) Use lighter programs (Norton just eats up a lot of resources therefore slowing down your PC. Try AVG or NOD32 AV programs)
This makes sense. I use Norton because it came free from my ISP. (Verizon FIOS)

4) Uninstall unnecessary software
Unused software's just consuming disk space. How can software slow things down if I'm not running it?

5) Unclutter your registry by using programs such as CCleaner

Collapse -
unused software...
by 30boxheads / April 14, 2008 12:28 PM PDT

"Unused software's just consuming disk space. How can software slow things down if I'm not running it?"

Some programs run on start up and keeps running in the background therefore eating up resources. This can be fixed by using msconfig. But if you don't actually use the program, you're better off uninstalling it. You remove the process at the same time getting more disk space.

Anyways, I'm glad your PC improved.

Collapse -
Sounds like two problems
by 4Denise / April 18, 2008 6:01 PM PDT

Since you have done much of what was suggested, it sounds like you have two problems left to deal with: excessive startup programs (which you mentioned specifically), and possibly a build up of old and/or unneeded data on your hard drive.

The possible build up on your hard drive can be checked easily. Find out what percentage of your hard drive is free. You should always have a minimum of 25% of your C drive empty. I aim for 50% because this gives me plenty of "wiggle room." I know that sounds strange, but you really do need quite a lot of space on the drive for Windows to actually operate, beyond what it just takes up in data files. I won't go into details because it would make my post way too long. Research it if you like.

If your drive is full of unused or unnecessary files, the first thing to do is find out what you can safely get rid of. The simplest way to gain space is to remove any programs you aren't using, as has been suggested. You can also transfer any old data files to recordable CDs or DVDs. If you do this, I recommend making two copies of every disk you make before you remove the data from the hard drive. This ensures that if one fails you will have another to retrieve the data from. You can, if necessary, read the data directly off the the CDs or DVDs, rather than keeping them on the hard drive, so mark them in the way that will make the most sense to you.

Then you come up against the more difficult task of clearing out any "junk" files-- things like temporary and old files. Run the disk cleanup utility that comes with Windows, and any other cleaner you have. Beyond that, you will need someone to actually teach you what can and cannot be safely removed. There is actually a lot of junk that accumulates on a system over time. Much of it can be removed. The trick is knowing what to leave behind and what to delete. See if you can find someone locally who is experienced to show you. Don't just delete files because you don't know what they are-- you can mess up your system that way.

I am running on the assumption that you have a system that you know to be free of spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, worms, etc. Any malware is a danger to your system. It will also slow it down a lot. Also, you should be aware that some software you use may be responsible for the problem, or at least be contributing to it. There are a lot of "free" downloadable programs that are not well written. Some of them are adware or spyware by design, and some of them just aren't well made. If you suspect that a program may be slowing your system down, then try uninstalling it for awhile. You can reinstall it if you find out that it doesn't make any difference. In the case of some programs, some people want them bad enough to put up with the problems they cause. If this is your choice, fine, but at least you'll know what you're doing to your system.

The biggest thing for you to do is reduce those startup programs. This is a serious drain on system resources, even if you disable or turn off some of them after the system is finished booting. You will need to do some research for this. The suggestions made are accurate-- you can easily turn those programs off using msconfig. You can also easily mess up your system, so don't just run off and start unchecking checkboxes.

This is going to take some time. Your system didn't get in this state overnight, and it will take a little doing to get it back to the state it was in when you bought it, but it isn't going to be weeks or anything like that. It also isn't really hard. It just takes a little research. The site I like to use is:

There are others. Some of them have been listed already in other posts. Use any or all of them to do the following.

I am going to go into a little detail on this one. It looks intimidating, but don't let it make you nervous. Now is the time to back up your system. It will make undoing any mistakes easier, if you happen to make one.

On the start menu, click on run. In the box, type msconfig. Click on Okay. Go to the startup tab. Have a paper and pencil ready. Write down all of the entries. Make sure you write them exactly-- including the precise spelling. Some of them are very similar. Sometimes only one letter is different. It is important that you spell them right. While you are in there, don't be afraid to take a look. As long as you don't make changes you can't mess anything up. The better you know the startup tab, the easier it will be to make sure your system doesn't get in this state again.

Close the configuration utility (msconfig). You haven't made any changes yet, so you don't need to restart Windows. Get online. Have your list ready. Go to one of the mentioned sites and begin typing the entries you wrote down into the search boxes to find them-- remember to type them correctly. You can read what they are and whether or not they are needed. You might want to make a few notes on your list. If you can't find an entry, try going to your favorite search engine and typing it into a search box.

Once you are armed with this information, you are ready to begin making changes. Open the configuration utility again and start by unchecking the checkboxes next to all startup entries that you know beyond a doubt you don't want starting with Windows. When you close the utility, you will be prompted to restart Windows. Go ahead and do so. When Windows restarts, there will be a pop up dialog box that will tell you that you are in selective startup. Click okay. Once you have made the last changes you are going to make, you can check the checkbox on the dialog that tells Windows not to show the box again. Don't worry about remaining in selective startup. It won't hurt your system a bit.

On any entries you aren't absolutely certain about, the best thing to do is disable them one at a time and try running without them to see what happens. This is the part that can take some time. You want to test them one at a time, so that you know for certain which one to restart if there's a problem.

I think you can take it from there. If you mess up your system and you don't have a backup, don't panic. Boot into safe mode and reopen the configuration utility. Undo the changes that messed things up.

Let us all know how it goes.

Collapse -
focusing on start-up and services
by frankliw / April 19, 2008 4:50 AM PDT

Excess files don't appear to be my problem. My drive is 80% unused. (28.5GB used out of 145GB)

I run virus and Spyware scans regularily via Norton and aside from some minor tracking cookies, all's well there too.

I now think, with the help of these posts, that the problem lies with the startups and services. I've stopped those I could easily recognize and have seen improvement. I'll follow your adivce and research some more of them.

Collapse -
You're welcome
by 4Denise / April 19, 2008 8:55 AM PDT

Sometimes it helps to have a step by step recommendation to follow. Those of us who have done this stuff repeatedly sometimes forget that when we try to help.

Collapse -
by Dango517 / April 19, 2008 8:22 AM PDT

RAM helps too.

Some errors can create large volumes of reports these need to be deleted occasionally. These are created in the event viewer. See disk cleaner in C: drive under the "general" tab.

Check your deleted emails files. Remove as many as possible.

Reduce the number if restart points that your system created. I'd suggest eight.

There are numerous tweaks that you can do to improve system performance and speed. To many to be mentioned here.

See link:

Registry repair software can help but these programs are often times overly aggressive and may delete items you want or need. They do improve system performance but possibly with a price.

I use this to keep my system running at it's best. It is not free.

everyone that uses this PC, uses it before they log off. Takes about 10 minutes and does it all with a "one click" function.

We also use a RAM optimizer and a third party "real time" defragmenter.

Avoid......manually altering the registry and disabling services unless you "really" know what your doing.

Collapse -
The Sys Tray Comment is Telling.....
by tobeach / April 13, 2008 4:35 PM PDT

"with lots of stuff in the system tray which I then manually terminate.". These are the things to uncheck in config start-up. These are all loading at that time & delaying full usability until finished.
Here's a page listing description of items common at start-up:

I suspect that a change from Norton to AVG AV or Avast AV (both available free) would make a noticeable difference in speed both boot & use. If you decide to un-install Norton, be sure you have alternate downloaded & ready to install & be SURE to use Norton Un-install tool for your version & reboot before installing new choice:

There maybe software conflicts such as 2 AVs or 2 Firewalls or other background real-time guards running together & conflicting causing slowness.

System Restore points accumulate and may be hogging 12% of HD space.
Many other XP files just keep getting bigger constantly & eventually..
as suggested CCleaner (free) can help with those. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
on the mend
by frankliw / April 14, 2008 8:20 AM PDT

Thanks for the help.

I used "msconfig" and removed some startups and some services - things with recognizable names that I don't use. (Why isn't that available via the Control Panel?)

I also downloaded "CCleaner" and it removed lots of junk.

Everything still seems to still be working and the responsiveness is definitely better; not as good as I think it should be, but much better.

My "windows/prefetch" directory still has a lot in it (6MB) even after "CCleaner" was done. (The "CCleaner" option says "Old prefetch data".)

Collapse -
Glad for the Improvement......
by tobeach / April 14, 2008 4:20 PM PDT
In reply to: on the mend

to give you and idea just how severe I've trimmed my start-ups back:

I have only 3-3rd party "programs" running at boot up: AVG AV, Intel Graphics & Spybot's Tea Timer settings guard! Additionally total of 10 "system inis". Total of 22 process running (26 when on the net as now).
I'd rather wait the 2-5 seconds extra for a program to load when I need it rather than loose performance always. XP Pro fully booted at 45 seconds from button push to no hourglass.

I have reset my Sys Restore to use only 4% of HD instead of 12% default, giving me about 2 months worth of daily manually created points.

I believe I have also disabled "file Indexing" to reduce load.

I purposely choose smallest, lightest versions of programs (CCleaner "slim" only 1/3rd size of regular), Fox-it PDF reader and keep Adobe turned off .

Most items will boot , IF required, during use (example printer when you click "print"). Others I disable & then just right click "send to my desktop" to create a manual trigger Icon.

Don't get in habit of leaving "non-system" disks in various drives (say audio CD or DVD etc.) as machine will try to load them at boot up also slowing boot-up.

You could try running system file checker (SFC) if you haven't lately in case something has created confusion there-in. Note: This may restore some things you purposely have turned off & may have to disable again.

Keep at'll get better & better. Good Luck!! Grin

Collapse -
so many questions
by frankliw / April 15, 2008 10:15 AM PDT

What's "Sys Restore"? What are "daily manually created points"? How do I know if I have "file indexing" enabled? How do I know if I WANT "file indexing" enabled? What is "file indexing" anyway?

I removed 12 items from Startup but still have 20 remaining. The ones I removed could easily be identified by the path to their file, but I don?t know what the other 20 are, what they do, or if I need them. What?s ?C:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe? do? Do I need ?C:\Program files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDlauncher.exe?? Will removing ?c:\Program files\Java\ire1.6.0)-5\bin\jusched.exe? cause a problem?

Same thing with the services. 52 out of Out of 94 are running. What are they? If I hide the MS Services I still have 9 of 22. I eliminate 4 to get down to the 9. Some said ?Symantec? on them, so I think I want them, but what?s ?COM Host? ?DSBrokerService? or ?dvpapi??

Collapse -
Hi,again! I Can't Really Go Thru Each One....
by tobeach / April 15, 2008 4:12 PM PDT
In reply to: so many questions

which is why I posted the link to the start-up list.
There is another method (similar to config) but using Spybot S&D to describe & start/stop individual items. It's handy 'cause many items are described on far right of each item showing what they are & how necessary at start-up. I use it in my old Spybot 1.4 but I expect it's also in New Spybot 1.52 which I'll be installing this weekend (probably).

Of those mentioned:
System Restore Function. These are snapshots of your registry taken at boot-up or when you make a major change such as installing a new program.
Used to restore system function after a problem. It resets system files/registry to what they were when the point was created (presumably when working well). Since I update many programs daily, I prefer to set a new point myself after update so those updates will be included if I need to restore.

Here's instructions on how to turn off system restore (deletes all existing points: used if points have infection included in some of them & how to turn back on. Upon opening system restore you'll be offered choice of restoring back to avail. points or to manually create a new point which involves just naming/describing point and pressing "create. When on this page you'll also see a link to the left saying sys restore settings. If you click this you'll see your drives (C:) and will also find a slider that varies the amount of HD reserved for holding points. I find 3-4% good but if you're machine has a lot more stuff you may need more (most cases 6% should do).

Re Indexing: Here's a forum page on the subject more can be had thru search:

Igfxtray puts adjustable controls icon in sys tray (near clock) that allow you to change Intel Graphics properties settings. Most people (except heavy gamers?) just set the graphics once at install and never touch again. Can be "disabled" as setting also found in Control Panel (CP)if need be.

DVD link launcher keeps dvd program available & running in background using up some resources. In my case I disable such and instead just go to programs list and find that program & right click & select "send to desktop:create short cut" to send it's icon to my desktop which I can click to start up if I want to open program. I do same for Adobe, Win Media Player, Defrag etc.

Generally if needed they'll start on their own if called for by say dbl. clicking a .wmf file or inserting a CD or DVD. It crowds my desktop a bit but icon link takes virtually no resources to just sit there.

Java\ire1.6.0)-5\bin\jusched.exe? is auto updater for Sun Java. I prefer to do that myself when needed & convenient. Can disable in config or by going to CP and clicking on Java coffee icon and selecting to disable in settings there. Your Java will still work fine and it you check the Security/Spyware Virus forum here, the updates are listed daily & will let you know if a new version is available.

Use common sense: You Do NOT want to disable anything to do with your current AV/Anti-spy/Firewalls or other protectors unless you're absolutely sure it won't cause trouble.

DS Broker service has to do with Dell Computer support? You run a Dell? If so leave?

"dvpapi" belongs to Command Software Systems, Inc. - anti Virus,
info for Authentium Antivirus. Did you previously have this AV installed or trial version? IF so & this is left running, it may conflict w/ Norton AV and could slow down system significantly. Remember you can have ONLY 1 AV active.

Most items you can search on the net "Google is your friend" but avoid any that are suggesting you download a program (free or to be not free later). Don't click on any sponsored links & try to choose safe sites from Google findings for info (like here or security sites like Castle Cops,McAfee,Symantec (Norton) has a very extensive list of things via their search engine,Bleeping Computers, Spywarewarriors etc.You only need info. Hoping this helps! Grin

Collapse -
by frankliw / April 16, 2008 9:21 AM PDT

Sorry, I didn't expect you to reply to each item. I only used them as examples to show how much I don't know. The whole things a bit overwhelming. Shocked

You've been more that helpful and have given me lots to investigate. I've already made some inprovements and will keep working on it. thanks.

Collapse -
Good Hunting & Post Back if ....
by tobeach / April 16, 2008 3:49 PM PDT
In reply to: sorry

you get really confused or stumped. Caution when disabling "services" as many have several different functions depending on them as part of whole.
I have saved in My Docs (but not actually used) a FREE program Called: Start Up Lite.exe from Malwarebytes. It is supposed to automate the reduction of un-necessary programs etc. by running it. Might give that a try.
Malwarebytes (Very Reputable)is the same group that has brought us (among others)
Rogue Remover which is quite good at getting various Rogue Anti-Virus/Spyware (the ones that say your computer is infected after they infect you in a drive by download)programs. It also has a Free version:
Enjoy!! Grin

Collapse -
The Very FIrst Thing to do
by waytron / April 18, 2008 9:07 PM PDT

The very first thing to do is UNINSTALL NORTON. This is the main cause of your slowness. Just because it came with your Verizon service is no reason to keep using it. There are plenty of Free security solution out there. If you must, at the very least uninstall Norton completely, reboot and the then reinstall it again.

Collapse -
Be aggressive about removing those items from
by Dango517 / April 19, 2008 9:19 AM PDT

the start up folder. This is were most of your problem is. With all those programs running your system is overwhelmed. Your PC is more confused then you are, a lot more. Grin

Collapse -
A controvercial, but effective solution
by 3rdalbum / April 19, 2008 7:32 PM PDT

This is a very effective solution, but I know lots of people are going to post back and ridicule the hell out of me for posting this solution.

It's called "Shifting the load from hardware into wetware".

First, check that you have a firewall somewhere between your computer and the internet. Usually, an ADSL router will have a firewall built-in. If you don't have one, install one onto your computer. Use the Shields Up ( web-based port scanner to check that the firewall is indeed blocking all incoming connections. If you get "open" ports, you need to tell your firewall to block all incoming connections.

Second, run a full virus scan with whatever anti-virus program you have, to check that no viruses are coming with you.

Third, make sure that you know not to run .exe or .com files that have been sent to you via e-mail, or that have been linked to within an e-mail. If you recieve a file through an Instant Messaging service (like Windows Live Messenger or Yahoo), ask the sender to verify that they have sent the file before opening it. NEVER EVER open "e-cards" (electronic postcards).

Fourth, get rid of the bloatware that is starting up that you are complaining about. I'm not sure how this is really done in Windows, but I'm sure the other posters here can tell you how.

Fifth, remove your anti-virus software, and reboot.

Finally, bask in the new-found speed of your computer, and DON'T let your guard down with that third step. Your wetware (your brain) is protecting you from viruses now, and the good news is that it doesn't require one single extra byte of data on your computer, and takes up exactly zero megaflops of CPU power. Your brain is a much more efficient and effective anti-virus system than anything Symantec or McAfee can come up with.

Collapse -
ecard safety
by netdog00 / October 12, 2008 10:02 AM PDT

Here is a press release from with the steps to ensure safe receipt of e-cards.

People are getting more experienced with the email safety (including ecard, phishing, banking spam, etc). Some ecards do convey more than simple emails. Check out the artistic, animated ecards from sites like and With the personal touching messages, those beautiful ecards can almost replace the run-of-the-mill paper cards.

Collapse -
2 Other problems that can cause slowdowns/system crashes.
by CKinVA / April 28, 2008 3:14 PM PDT

Other (common) problems that can cause slowdowns/system crashes:

1. Having Windows 'Defender' (free with XP/Vista and installed/active by default) and another anti-virus and/or a (proactive) anti-ad/spyware product installed/running. You can't uninstall Defender, but you should turn it off before you install/activate Norton/Symantec anti-virus, AVG anti-virus, Spybot Search & Destroy ('Imunize' and/or 'TeaTimer'), etc.

... Generally the above will not crash your system but will slow it down (ie: every file, etc., scanned multiple times per use).

2. Installing a replacement antivirus or firewall without uninstalling (and rebooting) the first/previous software and then
uninstalling the prior anti-virus product.

... Often the 'uninstall' can (will) "break" your system.

For example: I get a PC that has a sample version of Norton AV installed. I like free AVG, so I install it. I then realize I forgot to uninstall Norton, so I uninstall Norton ... I may have just hosed my system over!

It turns out that when my PC was built by Dell/HP/etc, the Norton install replaced some 'windows' files (thoughfully saving the original windows files as backups). When I installed AVG, it also replaces 'windows' files (it also thoughfully saves what it thinks are the original windows files as backups but which in fact may be the Norton files).

When I uninstalled Norton, it put back the files it backed up (the original windows files) ... probably leaving me with a mix of AVG & Windows files.

Since AVG is expecting all of its files to be installed (not some of the original windows files), it won't run right.

Ah I'll fix that ! I'll just uninstall & reinstall AVG ... but when I uninstalled AVG, it puts back the files it saved (possibly a mix Norton and Windows files) ... so now I have a mix of Windows and Norton files ... not a pure windows or complete Norton file set!!!

Basically, I am hosed and may need to rebuild completely (especially if I have installed/uninstalled several anti-spyware tools, etc., also as they can 'replace' (and back up) windows files too. Sometimes I can get away with reinstalling AVG but if I ever want to go to say McAfee AV, I'd better not uninstall AVG ... I just have to pray that the install of McAfee works or it just gets worse.

Collapse -
Norton is heavy!
by markerichannelly / May 4, 2008 9:03 PM PDT

Really XP runs much better at about 1GB RAM. Try upgrading to 1GB RAM. Norton Protection Center is quite heavy on system resources. I'd recommend something like Kaspersky Internet Security or Panda Internet Security. Also check for spyware + malware using Spybot search and destroy and Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free Edition, both you can get from Try uninstalling any old/ unused programmes using C Cleaner. It can really help. It also has a startup editor, that is more friendly to use than regedit or msconfig.

Collapse -
Norton is heavy is being very kind
by waytron / May 4, 2008 10:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Norton is heavy!

I would not recommend using Norton unless you basically have a super computer and even then uninstall and reinstall it every 6 months because it tends to get corupted. I would REMOVE Norton, reboot and then download and run the Norton Removal tool which will make sure that you have uninstall all remnants of any new and old Norton installations. If you have been using Norton for several years you can have leftover junk from each version.
Download Norton Removal tool from

Install AVG Free and Avast Free antivirus. If you want a firewall install Comodo Free Firewall or ZoneAlarm Free. If you happen to be a Comcast subscriber install their free McAfee Internet Security, although McAfee is heavy as well.

Collapse -
I would Recommend
by Tank2379 / May 5, 2008 3:26 AM PDT

Trying to convert to

This is a way better Anti- Virus and Spayware program than Nortons... Faster and uses way less RAM to run on...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.