Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow, Slow, Slow

by group256 / July 9, 2009 4:18 AM PDT

I have a PCG-FRV31 Sony Vaio Laptop that belongs to year 2003. I was happy using it with my Windows xp until one day its hard disk found some serious problems and I bought a very cheap, but new hard disk(160 GB, IDE). I came home happy and installed my new HDD and windows again, but when I tried to use my laptop it turns out that file operation(copy, cut, move, deletion) is really really slow. And when for example, I try to open my My computer my mouse freezes for few seconds until the window pops up.

I was too down, until hopelessly I decided to use ubuntu(I knew that there was something wrong with hardware, not software) and when I installed the ubuntu, Amazingly, everything was fine. Copy speed was fabulous, no freezing, no crashing. But when I changed back to windows again, same problem.

Could some one please help me and tell me what is wrong???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow, Slow, Slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow, Slow, Slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Google Hard Drive DMA
by Jimmy Greystone / July 9, 2009 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Slow, Slow, Slow

Google how to toggle the Hard Drive's DMA settings in Windows. You're running in PIO mode right now, and once you flip it over to DMA, you should see a marked improvement in responsiveness.

Collapse -
by group256 / July 9, 2009 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Google Hard Drive DMA

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I checked my primary and secondary IDE and they are both in "DMA IF AVAILABLE" mode. So, any other suggestion??

Collapse -
No one?
by group256 / July 9, 2009 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: DMA

Please, if anyone has any information how to solve this problem, let me know.

Many thanks again.

Collapse -
Do the "Toggle" trick.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: No one?

Even though that option is set to DMA if available, try setting it to PIO, click Apply/OK, then return to that option and reset it back to DMA.

More about DMA/PIO here;

Collapse -
Not working
by group256 / July 11, 2009 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Do the "Toggle" trick.

Thanks again, I tried this trick too, but not working yet. I'm really upset and down. I don't know what is wrong with Windows.

I'm still looking for an answer. Anyone has a clue???

Collapse -
just a thought
by KS Writer / July 11, 2009 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Not working
Collapse -
Newly installed
by group256 / July 11, 2009 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: just a thought

I don't think it's the problem as I have just formatted the whole hard disk and installed Windows on it. Not only even once, but 3 times and still god darn slow.

Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2009 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Newly installed

Windows after install has some possible dozen drivers to install unless you were lucky enough to have great restore media.

What else other than Windows for drivers?

Collapse -
hdd prob??or is it
by danny1980b / September 30, 2009 8:18 PM PDT

Have you tried a different Hdd

Collapse -
My guess
by kakarukeys / October 1, 2009 4:25 AM PDT

First, what is the Current Transfer Mode of your IDE channels?
You mentioned Transfer Mode was "DMA if available".

Second, when you installed Windows and Linux, did you repartition the HDD and choose a different file-system and different sector, cylinder, head parameters?

In windows, run dxdiag, and check if the clock speed, memory and page file size are correct.

Collapse -
To techsniper. Posts deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 12, 2009 9:59 AM PDT

Sorry but as a matter of course we remove links to torrent files. Too dangerous as you never know quite what you're getting.

That means I deleted your other post in this forum as well. The thread you started yourself with "Some nice Tricks to Speed up Windows XP amazingly".

Collapse -
oh Alright
by techsniper / July 12, 2009 2:55 PM PDT

No problem. Didn't know posting a torrent download link was not permitted.

Collapse -
i need help , did you fix the problem?
by sonypcgfrv31 / October 30, 2009 2:47 AM PDT

I have the same computer , my 40gighd died so bought 160gig 8mb western digital hd . Now i cannot get into dma mode I've tried , everthing there. I am have the alim5229 pci bus master ide controller installed , not the 1.510 version .

Collapse -
This link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 30, 2009 3:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Recovery cd
by sonypcgfrv31 / October 30, 2009 3:17 PM PDT
In reply to: This link.

I have my radeon driver installed , Maybe updating my bios from sony , I need to get a usb floppy drive to do it.

Does anyone know where i can get a recovery disk? Seems that is what i need to get the right drivers for my primary ide to work in dma mode.

I can find them, but they seem to be either out of stock no avaiable.

Thanks again

Collapse -
Trying again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2009 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Recovery cd
Collapse -
by sonypcgfrv31 / October 31, 2009 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Trying again.

The driver i installed is radeon igp 345m I found info on the link provided but no drivers to download.

I have the western digital dignostic test and it comes back as all good.

Thanks For the responses i really apperciate it!!!!

Is there another test i should run?

Collapse -
That's the right one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2009 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Driver

Collapse -
No answer!
by group256 / October 31, 2009 8:37 AM PDT

Nope, dude,

I searched a lot, and went through any method that I could try. It didn't work and therefore I was obligated to use Ubuntu again. The interesting point is, even when I used Xubuntu, I had the same problem. Only Ubuntu is the one that works perfectly well.

Collapse -
better driver
by sonypcgfrv31 / November 9, 2009 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: No answer!

I installed # 6 on the list and what a difference, instead of my hdd speed at 2mb i transfer at 33mb now.

Tell me what you think about that driver.

Collapse -
Left out!
by group256 / November 9, 2009 4:14 PM PST
In reply to: better driver

Sorry, I didn't understand the part you said you were copying with 32 MB instead of 2. Please tell me if you found a solution for the problem.

Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
new driver
by sonypcgfrv31 / November 9, 2009 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: Left out!

Heres the link to the driver i found.

I used pc pitstop to help when my computer is running slow. They do a hd speed test and before i installed the new ide driver my speed was 2mb a sec , now new ide driver i am running 34mb a sec on my c/ and 35 on e/ . I am acually surprised as the desktop speed was only 13mb secs and it works great. #6 on the list ide4008.exe

Collapse -
(NT) go to tweakxp web site for good speed fixes
by charlz99mn / November 9, 2009 11:47 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.