Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Slow Shut Down

by Elvis_1967 / April 23, 2006 6:35 PM PDT

I have an Alienware Sentia laptop with a 1.8Ghz processor, 1Gb RAM running XP Sp-2 It has AVG Firewall & Virus guard & I regularly run Spybot Search & Destroy. It starts up quickly & runs fast, I love it... until it's time to shut down. After clicking the red Shutdown button it takes nearly 90 seconds before the lights actually all go out. The screen does it's "windows is shutting down" bit & then goes black but the green LED for disc activity continues for 30-40 seconds which seems an age when you're just stood waiting for it.
Anyone any ideas to speed it up? Or know why it does it (I won't mind so much if I know why) I'm sure it wasn't this slow for the first few months...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow Shut Down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow Shut Down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Slow shutdown
by tomron / April 23, 2006 8:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Slow Shut Down

Click HERE and scroll down to tip #2

One program will not catch all intrusions so in addition to Spybot install AD-AWARE , EWIDO , and SPYWARE BLASTER which is a preventer,not a scanner.

Tom

Collapse -
Configure your msconfig
by rbtcnd / April 23, 2006 10:04 PM PDT

try running this utility available on Windows XP, type msconfig on the Run Tab which is located at the Start Key. There you will have an idea on what programs runs during boot- up and what programs creates conflicts during shutdown process. Make sure to throughly examine every system information you will find before making any changes to the current settings.

Collapse -
Re: Slow Shut Down
by 19sd78 / April 23, 2006 10:42 PM PDT

Is your HDD running out of space or something? You could try clearing all the temporary files and temp internet files etc.. run the disk cleanup utility.
Analyze the fragmentation levels as well. If needed run a defrag.This wud help smoothen the shutdown.

Collapse -
thanks, but I don't think this is it
by Elvis_1967 / April 24, 2006 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Slow Shut Down

it's a 100Gb hard drive with about 40% empty at the moment, I defrag once a month & Firefox is configured not to save anything... I'll give it another bash though just in case.

Collapse -
Load
by Themisive / April 24, 2006 5:08 AM PDT

Ewido and boot to Safe Mode, run a full Ewido scan and delete anythiing it fids.

Now reboot to normal mode - the computer should be faster.

The idea of running a spyware/malware programme in safe mode is simple, modt spyware programmes do not get chance to start!

Collapse -
better...
by Elvis_1967 / April 25, 2006 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Slow Shut Down

I tried this first (it is the easiest option, after all) it's done to about 25-30 seconds now so it did help.
Thanks, now for the others too...

Collapse -
tomron...??
by bently / April 25, 2006 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: better...

RE: Slow shutdown
by tomron (see profile) - 04/24/06 3:19 AM

copied from the link you gave...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

* Change the value of ClearPageFileAtShutdown to 0. Close the Registry, and restart your computer. Whenever you turn off XP from now on, the paging file won't be cleared, and you should be able to shut down more quickly.

On my computer, I have the following.
ClearPageFileAtShutdown REG_DWORD DATA 0x00000000 (0)

Should I leave 0x00000000 (0), or edit it to only... '' 0 ''

Thanks

Ben

Collapse -
Ben
by tomron / April 25, 2006 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: tomron...??

It already is zero,so i would leave it.

NOTE:be very careful with the registry.if you delete something there could be serious issues.

If at sometime you have to edit an entry always backup first.

HOW TO EXPORT:open reg edit>high lite the entry in question (left pane)>on top click on registry>export file registry>you are given an option as to where to save it.

Did you try what 19sd78 suggested in the previous post.

Also heres another LINK

Don't forget to scan.

Tom

Collapse -
Thanks
by bently / April 25, 2006 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Link

Thanks Tom & White,

Checked both threads.

Ben

Collapse -
Thank you
by shankru85 / April 25, 2006 4:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Thank you for posting back .
Let us know if you've come through .

Best Regards

White [ITA]

Collapse -
CLEAR PAGE-FILE AT SHUTDOWN IS SLOWING YOUR MACHINE....
by snadge / April 25, 2006 7:52 PM PDT

Hya, Your Laptop sounds like it is set to 'Clear page-file' at shutdown
(the page-file is a file about 750MB in size that keeps all your files and programs that you use occasionally for faster program start-up and file location)
XP can be set to clear this at shutdown which can take some time (and also slow down your Laptops overall performance when using programs and files in windows as once its been cleared the Computer has to retrieve your file/program from its original location)
I use Tweak XP to disable this but you can do it manually but involves using Regedit, if you are unfamiliar with the registry then dont change any other settings than this one....
[Start] [Run] [Regedit] GOTO

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

in the list you will see ClearPageFileAtShutdown, if the value is 1 then its active, if its 0 then its not and the problem lie's elsewhere
if its active you can double-click on it and change the value and then close and reboot (note that it might not come into effect until you have rebooted so the 1st reboot might still be slow but after that1 it should be ok)....

Please let me know if it sorted it out as i can fix it for you if this didnt work (process of elimination)

paulbartley30@hotmail.co.uk

Collapse -
sorry but it's already set to 0
by Elvis_1967 / April 25, 2006 8:49 PM PDT

I thought this too...

Collapse -
Edit msconfig start-up paneland scan for spyware in safemode
by snadge / April 26, 2006 12:06 AM PDT

If it didnt used to be that slow (90 seconds is quite a long time for a shutdown) then it must be an application thats having trouble closing properly OR some Professional software (like AutoCAD or similiar) could be saving work and closing down... big programs like that can take a while (if you use large programs that is)....

I would start the Laptop in safe-mode and then use msconfig (start / run type 'msconfig) hit return and select the 'Start-Up' Tab and de-select any programs that are running at start-up that you dont really need to or any suspicious looking files that might be spyware (widen the location column to get clues as to what each item is with the installation folders names...)
Then have a look at the services Tab aswell but be carefull not to stop any microsoft services (click 'hide all microsoft services')
After that run full spyware and virus scans...
Then re-boot and shutdown before you use any programs... see if that makes it any better...
paulbartley30@hotmail.co.uk

Collapse -
Other
by Themisive / April 26, 2006 4:38 AM PDT

Things that may cause slow shut-downs are anti-virus real-time scans and/or spyware/malware real-time scans. These normally work whilst your machine is running, and are perfectly OK.

If however, the problem did not arise until - say you loaded a piece of software - I would suspect that software, some software has spyware built into it - GAIN is one example.

If you can, remove ANY software like that, make sure it's all been cleaned out, and check the registry - that's a favourite place for them to put a false key, so even if you uninstall the programme, you may well have this on your registry still without knowing.

Get Ad-aware, Spybot S & D and Ewido, load them all, update them if necessary, log off the 'net, reboot to Safe Mode and run them all - with Ewido, run a full scan - detete anything they find. Reboot back to normal mode and run a full anti-virus scan.

As far as the registry is concerned, go to start/Run, type in "regedit" (without the quotes), then go to File/Export, you can use this to backup the whole registry, select a folder for backup and give the backup a unigue name.

If you removed anything like GAIN or any of the Instant Messenger programmes or even Peer-to-Peer software, go to Edit/Find and type in the name of the software, regedit will automatically scan through ALL the keys, and if it comes across something YOU KNOW has been uninstalled, then delete it, otherwise leave it alone.

Because of the risk, I use a small programme called RegCleaner it's freeware and you can download it from http://www.jv16.org/

Collapse -
tried this now... no better

Sorry it took a while to reply. This hasn't helped (nothing found in any scan). The only 'big' prgram I regularly use is an audio program called Sound Forge (v8.0b Build 110) other than that I use Excel & Word (from Office XP) & Firefox.

Collapse -
You highlighted the problem earlier.
by Me, Myself and You / November 1, 2007 1:10 AM PDT

Firefox.

Simple. Too many a machine can easily be infected with it.

On the other hand, and a more serious note, try looking into hardware issues. Something is stopping the machine powering down. Why?

Collapse -
And the winner is...
by Elvis_1967 / November 1, 2007 12:39 AM PDT

Just in case anybody's still watching this thread I'll tell you the only thing that's helped - a little freeware app called TuneXP 1.5. It also behaves generally better having run this program. Thanks for all the other suggestions.

Collapse -
yay for tuneXP
by tf42 / January 22, 2013 4:51 AM PST
In reply to: And the winner is...

Followed suggestion from here. Downloaded from softpedia. Ran, selected faster shutdown, bingo.

Collapse -
(NT) This 2006 thread is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 5:15 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.