Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

slow print commands

by mauifrankie / October 21, 2007 1:28 PM PDT

when I choose "print" it takes a long time for the printer info window to open. then it takes even longer to choose and activate any further command. whether I want to choose another printer I have installed or even if I simply click "ok" for it to print the document. every step is very slow, the pc almost looks, feels frozen. eventually printing starts and the printer prints just fine.
I have 2 printers a canon i950 and a hp photosmart c6150 allin one. this last printer is hard wired to my main computer but it is also shared with a mac wirelessly. In addition, just to give more info. When I have MS Word open, it also responds very slowly to commands, like "save" or any other command. same feeling of "frozen"
thank you for any help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slow print commands
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slow print commands
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a networking problem
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 21, 2007 7:41 PM PDT
In reply to: slow print commands

No information is given about this computer but I wonder if this is a networking problem. The MS Word item is a clue. With Word open, when you goto File > Open in MS Word does the system seem to freeze? If so I suspect Word is attempting to connect to the network but is failing, and so keeps trying until timeout. The printer problem could be related.

Do you have any "mapped drives" on this computer?

Mark

Collapse -
slow printer
by mauifrankie / October 22, 2007 10:12 AM PDT

thank you for replying. I am not sure what "mapped drives" are. I tend to agree w/ u about network being the problem, although problems started after we bought a brother printer a while back. we then removed it and returned it and bought the HP.
should i try to cancel the network but keep the printer on wireless?

Collapse -
Yes you can try that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 22, 2007 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: slow printer

This might be a process of elimination. Perhaps connect the printer directly to the computer first, and see if that speeds it up.

Also, did you completely uninstall the Brother printer? Windows may be searching for it if it is still marked as the default printer. Goto Start > Printers and Faxes and see what is listed. If the Brother is still there, delete it. Make sure you have the right printer set as default, (right click it and set it from the menu). Then reboot the computer.

I would do all that before trying any networking changes to other computers, because it can be a pain to set up a network again.

Mapped drives? Windows Help is very good at describing this. Goto Start > Help and Support and type in Mapped Drives and see what it says.

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
slow print commands
by mauifrankie / October 28, 2007 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes you can try that.

ye sthe brother printer is uninstalled. thew new hp is the default.
it seems that a lot of other apps are slow to open (or close)i ngeneral everything opens very slow. and responds very slowly. but word beats them all.

Collapse -
If your computer is generally running slowly
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 30, 2007 7:27 PM PDT

then this may be a different matter.

I would still try the computer without the network and remove all mapped drives, to see what effect that has, but if there is little difference then you need to be looking at other causes.

The link below lists several areas you can look at. The most important being malware infection by viruses, spyware, worms or trojans;
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm

See if they help.

Mark

Collapse -
computer running slow
by mauifrankie / November 3, 2007 11:12 AM PDT

i have disconnected the mapped drives no difference. computer is not always slow, some particular functions, command are slow. like when i choose to print something or try to open WORD or even something as simple as opening"help &support" it is just darn slow to respond.

Collapse -
slow print command
by loismay11 / July 30, 2009 7:24 AM PDT

xp and lexmark33. between file,print and print takes over 20 seconds, even longer with print preview. ideas?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.