Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Slow internet on some computers in home network

by Kevman914 / March 29, 2004 8:41 AM PST

I set up a home network with two of my roommates in around 6 months ago. For the first 5 and 1/2 months it worked beautifully. Recently, my one roommate's computer died (painfully slow windows XP running for short periods of time until the computer freezes). Coincidentally (or perhaps not), my other roommate's connection to our local network amazingly slow and cannot support any internet activity. My internet is working beautifully, just as before.

Here's the setup:
DSL through a Westell Wirespeed Modem into a
Linksys 5 port router (not wireless) run back to
Each of our computers

I've swapped cords and ports for my second roommate's computer (the one that works), disconnected and reconnected the modem, disconnected and reconnected to the ISP, and checked internet settings.

Anyone have any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow internet on some computers in home network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow internet on some computers in home network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Slow internet on some computers in home network
by DrPepper9 / April 4, 2004 11:53 PM PDT

Hello.........I've got the same problem or a similar one at least. I can get 1200 kbs on my old pc and less than 300 kbs on the new one and I just can't figure out what is wrong. Some one suggest hooking the slower of the two directly to my cable modem and see if the bandwidth improved and if it did to buy a cat5 cable. I sure hope some one can help us. We use the newer pc for gaming.

Collapse -
by Savoir Faire / April 13, 2004 8:54 AM PDT

Try a few things here:

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. Also, manually plug in the Gateway address in one system and see if that improves it. This XP technology is an Experience. Microsoft is trying to assume and do too many things. Often, MS confuses the NIC in what Gateway to use. Negotiations could be bogging you down. Also try disabling any firewalls, virus programs and XP security (WEP, WPA, 802.11x, etc.) Many times this is the case. I have had people tell me flat out they didn't have them running and they did. Also make sure no security is running through the router (even a virus program run through it) Try one system with everyone else completely offline. And is you are using Norton Virus just a tip Trend Micro PC-cillan catches more quicker, faster, better with less overhead.

If that all fails call their tech support or go to their website for an FAQ, do a Google search. Chances are this is a known issue.

Collapse -
by WiBrid / April 14, 2004 4:35 AM PDT

Are you sure it's a router and not a hub ? I ask because I've been a Linksys customer for 4-5 years and I've heard of a 5-port router. Regardless of what the device is your PC's are timing out because it's malfunctioning and needs to be replaced.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.