Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Slow DSL connection on new PC

by peterj76 / December 31, 2006 6:34 AM PST

Hello,

I hope there's someone here who can help. I've just purchased a brand new P4 e-machine and hooked it up to my BTOpenWorld DSL connection with an Intel AnyPoint modem. Everything on the computer is fine, apart from the Internet connection; it takes about 5 minutes to open pages such as www.bbc.co.uk/news and www.hotmail.com i.e. slower than dial-up.

Initially I figured that a cable must be loose in the modem, I checked and the cables were fine, then I hooked the old PC up with the connection again. Everything was fine and the Internet connection fast again. Then I went back to the new PC, still ridiculously slow. I've been trying all kinds of things to get it to normal speed, installing Mozilla, Opera, upgrading IE etc, none of it worked; it's slow with all browsers.

It's a Windows XP machine, with a free trial of McAfree. I've tested uninstalling McAfree, but this didn't help, nor did uninstalling various other programs that came with the machine. I've got all the latest drivers for the modem. There shouldn't have been any spyware, adware viruses on the PC as it was brand new and from the first moment of connecting to the Internet it has been slow.

I can normally find answers on messageboards, but not this time, so I'm writing a question myself. I've been working solidly for days trying to solve this. Perhaps it is something obvious, so obvious that I overlooked it, or perhaps it's something beyond my understanding.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow DSL connection on new PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow DSL connection on new PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
internet tech support
by PsychoticDeath / December 31, 2006 8:06 AM PST

1st thing is to check your settings.
internet explore

tools internet options>connections>make sure there is no dialup connection set or that it is set to never dial a connection.
Lan settings>all fields should be unchecked(or maybe with your dsl automatically detect settings should be on. not sure)> close

start menu> control panel> network connection> local area connection properties> internet protocol tcp/ip properties> automatically optain ip address> automatically obtain dns server> alternate configuration tab> automatic private ip address> close

start menu> run> cmd> ipconfig /flushdns> ipconfig /release> ipconfig /renew

you should get a valid ip address upon renew, as long as its not 169.254. or if your on a router you may get a 192.168 adress.
always check you router configuration!

tell me what happens after all that and if it doesnt work ill give you the next steps.

Collapse -
who can help me?
by a true friend / December 31, 2006 1:21 PM PST
In reply to: internet tech support

hey ! i have problem .when i reinstall windowxp .my computer connecting interner very slow.why? i think you can answer me soon
thank

Collapse -
Response...
by t1shopper / January 11, 2007 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: who can help me?

What kind of internet wervice are you on? DSL? Dial up? Do you happen to know what kind of DSL? Do you have a username/password you have to use to signon with before you can start using the DSL?

<b>Thanks!</b>

Collapse -
Phoned IT Support
by peterj76 / January 2, 2007 10:35 AM PST

Thanks for that PsychoticDeath, I've tried your suggestion; first I set up internet exporer as you said, then did what you said within network connections. Next the ipconfig /flushdns did work, but when I tried the ipconfig /release> and ipconfig /renew it said something along the lines of 'can't do this when media disconnected'. When I do ipconfig it says that the Local Area is disconnected, and then lists the IP etc of the Intel Modem.

Is the method you suggested specific for one who uses the Local Area Network for their Internet connection?

Today I phoned up BT IT Support, they tried for over an hour to resolve the problem unsuccessfully. Apparently the connection is fine, but they have a suspicion that the USB 1.1 Modem is not working well with my USB 2.0 PC. Do you or does anyone else know a way or resolving this (assuming this is the issue) without having to buy a more modern modem?

Thanks again

1st thing is to check your settings.
internet explore

tools internet options>connections>make sure there is no dialup connection set or that it is set to never dial a connection.
Lan settings>all fields should be unchecked(or maybe with your dsl automatically detect settings should be on. not sure)> close

start menu> control panel> network connection> local area connection properties> internet protocol tcp/ip properties> automatically optain ip address> automatically obtain dns server> alternate configuration tab> automatic private ip address> close

start menu> run> cmd> ipconfig /flushdns> ipconfig /release> ipconfig /renew

you should get a valid ip address upon renew, as long as its not 169.254. or if your on a router you may get a 192.168 adress.
always check you router configuration!

tell me what happens after all that and if it doesnt work ill give you the next steps.

Collapse -
Power Supply
by peterj76 / January 2, 2007 1:24 PM PST

Just found this on the web...what do you make of it? Thanks

CAUTIOUS TALE

We received a reader?s letter from David Hall, which sounds a cautionary note: ?I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 8600 and then got Broadband, however BT Broadband comes with an Intel Anypoint DSL modem. It?s a little box that needs 500mA to power it. Guess who?s shiny new laptop requires a powered USB hub to get the modem to work ? all Dell can say is that its USB controller hubs don?t supply that kind of power.?

We have hit this problem with all manner of laptops and PCs. The Alcatel USB modem requires 500mA, however the USB standard states that a controller should be able to supply 500mA but 10 percent of the lower should be unused. In other words, your controller can legitimately supply 450mA of useable power, which is usually split between two or more ports. It is quite common to have a working Broadband connection that fails as soon as another USB device is connected, whether you use a powered hub or not.

Collapse -
Problem Solved
by peterj76 / January 4, 2007 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Power Supply

Thanks for your help everyone!! I appreciate it!!

A powered USB hub solved the problem, now the Internet is up to speed! So it turned out that USB 2.0 didn't give the modem the power it required, whereas with USB 1.1 there was sufficient power.

Hopefully this thread will help others who encounter the same problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.