Spyware, Viruses, & Security

Question

Slow computer and internet

by cariconaway / January 20, 2013 10:17 AM PST

I have been working on getting my computer cleaned from viruses. I have an hp pavillion with windows 7. I have already been using the super antispyware professional trial. I have been able to remove at least 7 or 8 trojan viruses along with about 760 other things that were clogging the computer. I have run and installed updates. I have uninstalled microsoft security essentials and reinstalled it. I have run Malwarebytes scans. When it found things, I followed the steps to remove items. However, even after doing all this, in regular mode the computer programs I try to run all run very slowly. For instance, to do a full scan in super antispyware, it took over 7 hours to do a full scan. Where if I run a scan in safe mode with networking it only takes a little over an hour. In regular mode, if I try to get on the internet, it takes several minutes for internet to display a page, where as in safe mode, I can get right on the internet without any delay. What can I do to get the speed back in regular mode to the computer and internet?

Cari

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow computer and internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow computer and internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I would back up all my data first
by wpgwpg / January 20, 2013 10:32 AM PST

After backing up all my data, I'd restore my computer to factory settings, then reinstall any applications that didn't come preinstalled.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
That slow scan can be a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 10:33 AM PST

First, take Grif's advice and let's see what RKIL finds. Just that and in about a minute we'll see if something else is up.

http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Remember that even if we eradicate all pests, that's not going to repair a dinged up OS. And OS repair is more than files so be sure you are preparing for the final solution.

But the slow scan has been a sign of heat or failing HDD. I don't see much PC detail so I'll wait for the RKILL result.
Bob

Collapse -
Results of rkill
by cariconaway / January 23, 2013 4:43 AM PST

Bill,
Here are the results of running rkill:

Rkill 2.4.6 by Lawrence Abrams (Grinler)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
Copyright 2008-2013 BleepingComputer.com
More Information about Rkill can be found at this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Program started at: 01/23/2013 03:39:56 PM in x64 mode.
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Checking for Windows services to stop:

* No malware services found to stop.

Checking for processes to terminate:

* No malware processes found to kill.

Checking Registry for malware related settings:

* No issues found in the Registry.

Resetting .EXE, .COM, & .BAT associations in the Windows Registry.

Performing miscellaneous checks:

* No issues found.

Checking Windows Service Integrity:

* COM+ Event System (EventSystem) is not Running.
Startup Type set to: Automatic

* Security Center (wscsvc) is not Running.
Startup Type set to: Automatic (Delayed Start)

* Windows Update (wuauserv) is not Running.
Startup Type set to: Automatic (Delayed Start)

Searching for Missing Digital Signatures:

* No issues found.

Checking HOSTS File:

* No issues found.

Program finished at: 01/23/2013 03:40:09 PM
Execution time: 0 hours(s), 0 minute(s), and 12 seconds(s)

Where do I go from here?
Cari

Collapse -
That's a relief to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: Results of rkill

At least that came up clean. Email me your HIJACKTHIS LOG (a link how to later.) But you didn't tell me why you would not suspect a failing HDD or an overheating computer.

Here's how to make a log -> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-post-a-hijackthis-log/

Remember I'm only going to check for things I know about. Overlapping security, toxic combinations that I know about. Again, the fact it had a virus means the OS can be damaged and the good news is you can get your files out and reload the machine. Some folk think that all OS damage can be fixed. True, but at what cost?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Only an observation..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 5:34 AM PST
IF you still have the trial version of SUPERAntiSpyware Pro and MSE installed......

If you go to the MSE Community Forum and ask if the two conflict, you will receive a resounding YES! You will also find the same written within "Microsoft Security Essentials - Installation Checklist and Frequently Asked Questions ".

However, if you go to the SUPERAntiSpyware forum, many say the two co-exist without a problem.

Again "if" SAS is installed and running in real-time, have you tried disabling it to see if it makes a difference?

Carol
Collapse -
Will Give Both a Try
by cariconaway / January 23, 2013 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Only an observation..

Carol and Bob (sorry about the Bill, I forgot when I was writing),
I will give both of your suggestions a try and get back to you on my results.
Cari

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.