Samsung

Question

Slow buffering of video over network by allshare

by dilipraorachuri / September 2, 2011 10:03 AM PDT

I bought a samsung UED6510 tv today and connected to Allshare. I have shared my video .mkv files on my HDD but the problem is the video plays for 2 sec and then pauses and then again for 2 sec and this goes on. I thought its a problem with wireless networks so I connected my laptop and Tv with cable to my router but the problem persists.
Also the tv doesnt recognize my Seagate HDD(3 TB) when I connect it directly.
Please can someone help me..

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow buffering of video over network by allshare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow buffering of video over network by allshare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
And the other details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2011 10:07 AM PDT

Since you might have your PC connected with wifi you get half or less the bandwidth due to that choice.

To help this you would have an all "N" network with WPA2/AES for security.

Samsung usually does not help with home networks and 3TB drives are too new for most appliances. Let's hear more.
Bob

Collapse -
wired network
by dilipraorachuri / September 2, 2011 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: And the other details.

As I said earlier, I am currently using wired network and no wifi.

Collapse -
There is more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2011 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: wired network

I make no apology for the forum poor formatting that I'll lose a point so moving on.

You can try other DLNA servers as folk discover the stock app is lacking at times. And since all speeds of laptops exist with firewalls and conflicts (Teatimer continues to be one) you find no Samsung support for the PC or network.

It's up to us to sniff out why it works for others and not you.

-> Do you think it's time for makers to not offer items that can't be supported?
Bob

Collapse -
Serviio
by dilipraorachuri / September 2, 2011 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: There is more.

I tried serviio DLNA server but the problem remains to be the same. Can anyone provide me with a solution for my network?

Collapse -
That's a good clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Serviio

But until all is revealed about laptop, network, router and such how would anyone guess?
Bob

Collapse -
details
by dilipraorachuri / September 3, 2011 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a good clue.

Hi Bob,

first of all thanks a lot for all your help. I have a Fujitsu Siemens v5505 laptop
The router is a D-Link with wireless-n but am connecting both my tv and laptop with cable.Anything else you would like to know?

regards
Dilip

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: details
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Fujitsu-Siemens-Esprimo-V5505.10809.0.html

That's not a bad laptop but your issues could be YOUR CHOICES of what's not stock. For example read 7723-6122_102-510824.html

Look at how we had to get into logs and more to discover the software conflicts. You'll have to do this work since nothing in this discussion points to any new suggestions.
Bob
Collapse -
Details
by dilipraorachuri / September 3, 2011 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a good clue.

Hi Bob,

First of all thanks for all your help. I have a Fujitsu Siemens v5505 laptop. The router is D-link 'n'. I am connecting the network with cables and not wifi. Please do let me know what else you need to know

Regards
Dilip

Collapse -
Answer
allshare sucks
by onyx_64 / March 10, 2013 4:02 PM PDT

ever since they updated their software, i am facing the same problem as the OP. The streaming pauses every minute, with PLENTY of available b/w on the router. I never had this when i bought the TV. and the update was mandatory - "push".
This is just pathetic! samsung might be good in hardware, but they wont reach anywhere with their crappy softwares..

Collapse -
Re: allshare sucks
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 11, 2013 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: allshare sucks

Hi onyx_64,

I'm very sorry to hear that has happened. In order for me to help you most accurately, please provide the complete model code for this device.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Here you go..!
by onyx_64 / March 21, 2013 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: allshare sucks

UN46ES6150

Collapse -
Re: here you go
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 22, 2013 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Here you go..!

Hi onyx_64,

Thanks for that! So every minute on the minute it pauses to buffer? Or is that an approximate number? Does it happen with all videos, or is it only particular file types? Also, are you using the Allshare software on your desktop or some other server on your network?

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
Same problem with buffering on allshare
by abhijits007 / March 23, 2013 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: here you go

I have this exact same problem on a un46es6850.

I am running a i5 3570Kw/16GB RAM, win7 Pro, and video files on a USB 3.0 HDD. Network is an N network (wndr3700 router) with fast copy speeds across machines. I think this is either an allshare problem or something is slowing allshare down. This problem has rendered my entire collection of movies on my drive useless as far as my new TV is concerned. I can watch 5 minutes and then a 10-20 second pause, sometimes the pausing is more frequent.

Would greatly appreciate any help, Samsung_HD_Tech...

Collapse -
The WNDR3700 has 4 models.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 4:38 AM PDT
http://support.netgear.com/search/wndr3700

And it does have issues. Netgear messed up in some way as you can see at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWS4ha-dn0 and other links had me downgrading my wndr3800 back a version.

This also helped my streaming.

---> HOWEVER if you are streaming over WiFi to the TV from your WiFi connected laptop you are getting much less than half speed of your WiFi for reasons widely discussed.

On my WNDR3800 I solved it by putting the HDD directly on the router.
Good luck.
Bob
Collapse -
Thanks Bob..
by abhijits007 / March 25, 2013 1:33 AM PDT

Bob, Thanks for the reply. Attaching the wndr3700 to the router also doesnt improve things in my case. I think this must be a problem with the streaming client. If netflix hulu fios and a host of other streaming clients can get 1080p over wireless it is sad that a behemoth company like Samsung is unable to. And Samsung's Allshare software on the PC restarts frequently. I think strengthening their software team is key to Samsung's future success as more and more content gets distributed by streaming as opposed to traditional cable.

Collapse -
I think you give them too much credit. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob..

It's a shame we are discussing this in this old thread. There are very good reasons why these manufacturers can't fix everything. It's called patents and they can't support saw those 3D MKV encodings for quite a few reasons and patents.

-> But using netflix as an example is not that good. Why? Because those streaming providers work very hard to encode their content and tweak their player to deliver.

In the case of most folk, so few know about encoding that's it's not fun to discuss this area.
Bob

Collapse -
formats..
by abhijits007 / March 25, 2013 6:01 AM PDT

I have generic avi and mkv files. If I understand you correctly, you are saying to build high quality streaming clients for these formats, Samsung would violate patents, and it is easier to build clients for proprietary formats. in this case, they should make sure that allshare servers near the content read and convert to a potentially proprietary format that the samsung client does does. Respectfully I disagree that this is the best solution Samsung can find to this problem. It is rather unacceptable.

On a different note, if anyone has thoughts on what is the best video format that Samsung SmartTV plays (i dont think they play m4v, which compresses a 32GB video into a 4gb only-slighltly-lossy copy), I'd appreciate it.

The mkv files take too much space for my blu-ray backups..

Collapse -
As this is off topic.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: formats..

It's best to not try to go any further here. You see the issue and know that encoding/decoding as well as moving the bits across all matter.

And all the BluRay rips I've seen are a nightmare. I don't want to enter that tar pit.
Bob

Collapse -
Same problem with buffering on allshare
by mmanikas / March 24, 2013 9:03 PM PDT

Sorry weghing here, but have similar frustrating issue with my un46ES7000 and Synology DS212j when streaming with AllShare over LAN. However, my router is a poor one (Thomson) but never have issues with other media than only with mkv 3D movies with srt file in same folder.
And still can't finger out whose issue is and which piece I should focus on.

Thoughts?

Collapse -
The MKV is your clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 12:48 AM PDT

That's not an encoding but a container so I'd look at the encoding choice you made and ask what's supported as well as keeping it on the LAN and off WiFi.

You as a 3D movie maker will not need my help with encoding. And all the 3D movies I've seen so far are rips or pirated. Go figure how folk are going to get support for that!
Bob

Collapse -
PS. If any WiFi is used, enabled I turn that off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 25, 2013 3:05 PM PDT

-> I've lost count how many times.

PPS. It's a shame we are in this very old discussion. Buried here, we can't really dig into it.
More ideas are in the CNET Networking Forum.

Collapse -
Re: Same problem with buffering on allshare
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 25, 2013 7:30 AM PDT

Hi abhijits007,

I read down the tree that should be just above this. Any interesting excursion down that trail, but I'd like to follow a different line.

Are you using the Allshare client on your PC or is some other brand of software? Also, was the 5 minutes approximate or is it exactly that time index each and every time? After 5 minutes again, so the 10 minute mark, does it buffer again?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Allshare
by abhijits007 / March 25, 2013 1:51 PM PDT

HD Tech,
I am using the allshare client.
actually, it pauses for 5-20 seconds every few minutes (say 3-4 minutes). the frequency varies from time to time. I hope its a conflict or some other simple problem. I would really like to address the video content over my n network if possible.thanks!

Collapse -
Re: Allshare
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 26, 2013 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Allshare

Hi abhijits007,

OK, so I'm going to fairly confident that there's no software problem going on between the two devices. However, if you could, I'd like to eliminate the network connection issue as a problem. If you could just for the sake of troubleshooting, reduce the distance from the wireless access point to your TV, or better yet, run a wired cable from one to the other.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Skipping issue
by onyx_64 / March 26, 2013 1:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: here you go

Turns out that, with the latest push updates, some video files cause the TV to freeze when i skip to a certain time. i.e., im forced to re-watch the video all the way, without skipping, rewinding or stopping!

never mind the troubleshooting.. I sold the TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.