The CNET Lounge

General discussion

SlotMusic: the universe delivers

by mollywood CNET staff / September 23, 2008 5:01 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SlotMusic: the universe delivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SlotMusic: the universe delivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If only the *chip* had been 7"...
by briancnet CNET staff / September 23, 2008 5:24 AM PDT

...it would still be in the pocket of its owner, proudly blazing the trail toward the future of physical media. Or just taking up room.

Collapse -
(NT) conjures a very funny mental picture... lol
by robstak / September 23, 2008 8:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
SlotMusic: the universe delivers
by wizkids32 / September 23, 2008 7:37 AM PDT

It might work in GPS'S because GPS uses Slot Drives in them.

Collapse -
That other object lesson: DataPlay
by Fe1d / September 23, 2008 6:18 PM PDT

DataPlay tried to replace CDs in 2001 with an optical disk the size of a half-dollar:

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/P0000652.jpg

DataPlay won all the big tech awards. Most major labels and MP3 player manufacturers signed on. Then, Apple introduced the iPod. The market dried up for removable media players, including portable CD players. The DataPlay company scaled back its new media to shift focus to DVDs, although they seem to still sell DataPlay media and drives by e-mail.

SlotMusic does have some notable advantages over DataPlay. Solid-state SlotMusic is much more speedy, rugged, and power-efficient than optical disks like DataPlay. At 1GB, SlotMusic cards can hold more CD-quality music than real 600-720MB CDs, but the 500MB DataPlay discs occasionally required some compression. Who cares? Physical media is on the way out; DataPlay understood that and cut its losses.

The only way SlotMusic makes sense is as a strategy to undercut the used CD market. The RIAA gets no income from sales of used CDs. Of course, every penny the RIAA doesn't collect is an act of piracy. With a reusable MicroSD card, you can rip your new tracks to your computer for syncing elsewhere, then erase and reuse the card as digital film, reducing the incentive to resell. "Reuse" is one of the three holy Rs of the green movement, so CDs will become the new styro.

Or, maybe RIAA execs just don't remember DataPlay like they don't remember the 70s. Yeah, that's probably more likely.

Collapse -
On the other hand...
by Fe1d / September 23, 2008 6:33 PM PDT

If DVDs and shrink-wrap software also trend toward 4-8GB RAM or broadband speeds escalate, I'd be more than happy to never see a noisy old CD/DVD burner ever again for the rest of my life. Random-access is much better than slow read/write cycles. Maybe the MacBook Air is the canary in the mine.

Collapse -
Physial Media will be out when...
by Renegade Knight / September 24, 2008 4:15 AM PDT

Physical Media will be out when digital can actually replace it.

Last week were were flipping some books on Amazon. My wife asked "should I sell this book I have it on my computer" I said "can you put it on another computer?" She tried. It didn't work. Her book is as reliable as a laptop and won't survive a reformat.

We kept the physical book. I can put it on any book shelf and it will 'just work'. Digital media can be like that, but isn't.

Collapse -
DRM is the problem
by Nicholas Buenk / September 24, 2008 8:36 AM PDT

Otherwise you can copy a digital file any where and back up multiple times.

Collapse -
Hah!
by warrenrichards10 / September 28, 2008 8:13 AM PDT

The big old school music labels are finally getting the reality of DRM and the new consumer web based method of sales ,( iTunes , MySpace etc ) are increase their market share at the cost to the more traditional types of media storage. Physical media will continue to disappear with the big ?dinosaurs? companies trying more and more desperate measures to get us consumers back. Its not going to work the CD will go the
Way of the Lp and the cassette , devices like the Zune and the Kindle offer streaming of media content that will end up winning ,(once DRM is finally resigned to the ?bad idea bin), still it I got a laugh that Metalica was willing to try it, just desserts from my perspective for them to be associated with this crap.

Collapse -
When it comes to physical media....
by Magishine / September 29, 2008 10:48 AM PDT

Nothing will replace CDs. They're the perfect size. Also, people like listening to MP3 players in their cars and such, so I don't see why people wouldn't want MP3 CDs. I have yet to meet someone that makes a big deal about quality.

Collapse -
But
by warrenrichards10 / September 29, 2008 8:16 PM PDT

Fair enough, I get the pro?s of a physical media for music re a persons car but the world is changing, my cousin is a 42 year old timber truck driver, ( in Australia) when he started out , his father swore blind by something ? 8 Track ? and had, (still has)An amazing collection, my cousin put his money on some ?flash in the pan? new
technology called ?CD?s? , his dad laughed and said it?ll never take off.
my cousins teenage daughter has now converted him to MP3 downloads, I guess the point I was making was the evolution in music is driven by the end users nowadays where in the past the large cooperates ran it to their whims ( and profit margins ), the MP3 CD is still relevant for now , ( I burn them for my cousin ) but he then loads them on to an iPod for playing on long trips but it?s the iPod that?s the physical media ( or any player) that?s the ? container? for a good may now days, I agree with you though no one I know has a problem with the sound quality of MP3 CD?s.

Collapse -
Nicely summarized
by milkky / September 29, 2008 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: But

I had the same reaction, tho I ended up thinking about people saying how those noisy smelly horseless carriages would never catch on. You kept it on music media evolution (and, mostly, the right century!).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.