Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slipstreaming Windows updatesa.

by jackfrost64 / February 28, 2007 2:17 AM PST

Can someone please tell me how to do this as when I download them there appears to be no way to save them

Richard

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slipstreaming Windows updatesa.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slipstreaming Windows updatesa.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No easy way
by jackson dougless / February 28, 2007 2:24 AM PST

However, a few months ago on Slashdot, there was mention of a program to help automate this process. You can try searching through old articles there to see if you can find the program in question.

The biggest problem with this, is the rate at which Microsoft releases new patches. You'd be burning a new installation CD every month. Otherwise, you've got this CD image sitting on your hard drive, eating up about 500MB of space.

The other option is waiting for SP3 to come out. Not exactly sure when that will be, or even if, since Microsoft's timetables can't really be relied on. Could be 6 months from now, could be never, probably somewhere between.

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2007 2:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks for the infomation
by jackfrost64 / February 28, 2007 6:18 AM PST

Will look it over and see but it looks like this is not a very good idea.

Richard

Collapse -
Tried slipstreaming WINXP SP1 with SP2 and AOL went crazy
by DarCLew2 / February 28, 2007 8:00 AM PST

My screen kept popping up to sign in and that was a continious thing. I tried to delete that new connectivity of theirs but it would stop. Then, I told drastic action; deleted all items of AOL. About 50% of my programs got lost in the process plus I disabled WINXP's firewall -thought it was AOL's. I formatted the whole thing and started at the beginning. Of course there was a bogus pop-up i was expecting listed as Registry Repair Pro,it as really spyware named Anti Virus Pro, tried to set me up with fear and attempt to get credit card info and it was a no deal. Third time, it tried this, I was loading Computer Associates Spyware. I saw two breif flashes so they either recognized that they had no results the last time and/or CA Spyware chased them off.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.