PC Hardware forum

Question

slimdriver software harmful?

by canbrett / January 9, 2013 12:20 AM PST

hey everybody, i'm looking for some help regarding the free slimdriver software i downloaded from this site. i have a dell laptop with windows seven that has been acting up. sometimes a message saying there was a driver error and it restarts itself automatically. i thought i would try and use the slimdriver software but when i installed it, it completely crashed my computer. it will not turn back on. when i try it brings up start up repair which runs for hours and then states it can not automatically fix the problem. i tried doing a system restore however after it runs it says it was unable to complete the action. any ideas or suggestions??
thanks in advance

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slimdriver software harmful?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slimdriver software harmful?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's be honest.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2013 12:25 AM PST

Driver finders and such can't find all known drivers or even the right ones. Registry cleaners, driver cleaners are also in that boat.

So yes, it can mess up a working system but "harm"? No. The hardware has yet to be harmed by such things.

ABOUT SYSTEM RESTORE. Too many causes from your antivirus choice to malware to registry cleaners to other.

It is not reliable enough for you to count on so you use the age old system of backup of what you can't lose.
Bob

Collapse -
Incorrect
by Wildmoodswngs / January 19, 2016 1:29 PM PST
In reply to: Let's be honest.

It is harmful. Very harmful. And make absolutely sure you have a proper antivirus installed.
It creates broken irrelevant and/or incorrect updates. It is more a scam. It can pull off basics most of the time but it is just a link of sales. I find it atrocious that CNET promotes it and confirms my long prior dislike for avg. Please, it is very dangerous and even more dangerous for gaming computers.

Collapse -
Remember I consider it harmful but not "HARMFUL."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2016 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: Incorrect

That is, it can mess up the installed OS and drivers but that's why you and I backup our PCs. Only the new folk and those that didn't backup tend to feel these are "HARMFUL." Harmful to what's on the HDD but so far I've yet to see it damage hardware.

I guess I could write longer but you get the idea.

Collapse -
Answer
Absolutely
by Wildmoodswngs / January 19, 2016 1:27 PM PST

It creates broken irrelevant and/or incorrect updates. It is more a scam. It can pull off basics most of the time but it is just a link of sales. I find it atrocious that CNET promotes it and confirms my long prior dislike for avg. Please, it is very dangerous and even more dangerous for gaming computers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

LAST CHANCE TO WIN

Free trip to the Grand Prix

Don't miss your chance to win a trip to the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Monaco for you and a plus-one.