The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Sleep Apnea

by jlnaz / March 11, 2008 3:17 PM PDT

> raygun01: Apnea: yes. Mask: yes. Surgery to fix? yes! Happy
> raygun01: Awaiting the results of my sleep study. To apnia, or not to apnia? such as.

Heh, you'll never sleep better until you start strapping your mask on every night.

For some the surgery would be too invasive. Totally disconnecting the jaw, moving it out, and changing the facial structure.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sleep Apnea
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sleep Apnea
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's what I keep hearing...
by raygun01 / March 11, 2008 4:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Sleep Apnea

I'm looking forward to better sleep. I am tall and skinny... from the Dr's perspective, he rarely finds someone he feels surgery might actually be an option for... He sees me as a good fit for it... I'm all for it if it means no need for a mask for the rest of my life.

But really, anything to be healthy Wink

Collapse -
The worst thing about ll of it is the actual sleep tests
by minimalist / March 13, 2008 4:39 PM PDT

They wire you up with so many electrodes that of course you can't sleep because you are tangled in wires!

But the first night you try the mask can be a revelation. Its like the deepest sleep you have ever had. Now I barely notice the mask is on. I have the least intrusive type that just presses against your nose and goes over the head. As a bonus the mask teaches your body to breath through your nose when you are sleeping and you will never snore again.

Collapse -
by Nicholas Buenk / March 12, 2008 1:05 AM PDT

Now I'm wondering if I should go get tested for that!

Nicholas the hypochrondiac.

Collapse -
don't forget the hot needle!
by kid_entropy / March 13, 2008 1:02 PM PDT

One method for surgically treating apnea is inserting a hot needle into the soft pallet. It kills some tissue and causes the pallet to retract. The patient is under general anesthesia but i can't help but think that would leave a smell that would linger.

This is why i wear the mask, I'm so used to it I find it odd to sleep without it. What kind of headgear do you all wear? I have the Opus nasal interface system, which is just fun to say.

Collapse -
Yes, sleep mask not that bad, Brother in law got his
by merrybrown / March 13, 2008 2:46 PM PDT

Life back. Was falling asleep behind the wheel etc. before.
But if you are up for the surgery, go for it!

Collapse -
I know where you're coming from
by kid_entropy / March 14, 2008 8:35 AM PDT

I remember being at work only vaguely aware of how i had driven there. Scary Stuff. Also had times when i was dozing off on my motorcycle! I put it down like that, only minor damage to the bike and I wasn't harmed at all, but it was a real wake-up call(is that a pun?) I got the wheels rolling on getting a sleep study done etc.

Here's a pic of me all wired up getting ready to go to sleep:

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.