Speakeasy

General discussion

Slavery is alive and well in Saudi Arabia

by Diana Forum moderator / December 23, 2008 9:55 PM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slavery is alive and well in Saudi Arabia
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slavery is alive and well in Saudi Arabia
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a surprise...
by EdHannigan / December 23, 2008 10:18 PM PST

in a culture more attuned to the 11th Century than the 21st.

Collapse -
Women it 12th Century Islamic states were better treated and
by Ziks511 / December 28, 2008 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Not a surprise...

freer than Christian women. Islam's attitudes to many things including women has gone through many changes over the century, as has Christianity. Women under Islam could own property, both as individuals and separately from their husbands. That has not been true in most of Christian Europe until the tail end of the 19th Century.

I am certainly advocation the current Wahabist and fundamentalist Islam that has been their response to the rise in influence of Western regimes. The other part is that the rules for men are much more flexible for men away from Islamic societies. They use prostitutes quite commonly in Europe and the US while their wives are sequestered back in Saudi or Afghanistan.

I remember Michael Wood author of In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great having to negotiate transit of Afghanistan from the Taliban who were in charge at the time. He met the brother in law of one of the Taliban's chief leaders in a restaurant in New York where he met a portly short man in a very very expensive suit, drinking wine and flanked by 2 gorgeous blondes who were about 6 feet tall. And that's the strict fundamentalist Taliban. Weird, though not uncommon for men generally.

Rob

Collapse -
Not just Saudi Arabia
by Bill Osler / December 23, 2008 11:50 PM PST

The exact forms vary from country to country but there are significant problems with slavery in several African countries as well.

Collapse -
Yes, Dr. Bill, some African nations have that problem;
by Paul C / December 25, 2008 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: Not just Saudi Arabia

they all seem to be Islamic nations, or the problem is concentrated in their Islamic populations.

The problem is not slavery; that is merely a manifestation of the real problem. The "root cause" - as various apologists would say - is Islam.

Collapse -
It's just an Islamic problem, eh?
by grimgraphix / December 25, 2008 2:33 PM PST
Collapse -
I think you might be right
by Diana Forum moderator / December 25, 2008 10:07 PM PST

Although Islam seems to have a long and accepted history of suppression of half the population.

But you do hear about women coming here from Asia or Eastern Europe for jobs and winding up in the prostitution trade. Not only to this country but anywhere men want to buy it.

I don't know how widespread it is but you're always hearing about kids and women working as maids with no pay.

Diana

Collapse -
Unfortunately man tends to take advantage of the weak...
by grimgraphix / December 25, 2008 10:53 PM PST

... and justify it with philosophy and religion, or explain it as a cultural tradition... or even economics. Whatever logic or ideology is involved in rationalizing what we as a species do. the reality is we do it to ease our own burdens.

Collapse -
Or just blame the victim
by Diana Forum moderator / December 28, 2008 3:38 AM PST

If you didn't make me so mad, I wouldn't hit you.

If your father hadn't gotten in debt, you wouldn't be here.

If you hadn't cut me off in traffic, I wouldn't have shot at you.

You get the idea.

Diana

Collapse -
There are even clearer examples of girls in Pakistan being
by Ziks511 / December 28, 2008 2:19 AM PST

sold by their parents for $50 for a year of work as an unpaid servant. There was even a clear interview with a well dressed woman visiting the remote community and identified as the broker. She looked straight into the camera and denied everything, saying it was illegal in Pakistan to sell individuals, nor was there any such thing as slavery. A few weeks later the film crew visited the woman's residence in a large city, and rescued the girl she had been attempting to buy previously.

The solution to the problem turns out to be the raising of piglets for a year to full growth which provides even more money than selling their children. Why pigs in Islamic Pakistan, I have no idea, but apparently it works.

Courtesy of National Geographic Channel, quite recently.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.