Computer Help forum

General discussion

Size of image doesn't fit monitor screen. Help!

by Tanchan / November 3, 2004 9:22 AM PST

I've just completely wiped the hard disc and installed windows xp professional on my computer. But now the screen image seems to come up to small and no longer fills the whole monitor screen. It leaves large black margins above and on either side. Can anyone help me on how to fix this?

Also, would it be related to a box which keeps popping up which says

NEW MODE
HF: 31.5 KHZ
VF: 60 Hz

???

I am fairly new to IT and to this site, so just warning you that I won't understand many technical words.

I hope someone can offer some solutions. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Size of image doesn't fit monitor screen. Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Size of image doesn't fit monitor screen. Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Size of image doesn't fit monitor screen. /my guess
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2004 10:00 AM PST

Your reinstallation probably did not have the correct drivers for your video display device. If you know what video card you have, you should be able to get the latest drivers on the web. Check in your Control Panel under System. Go to Hardware and then Device Manager and look for Display adapters. Click there and see if it mentions a specific device. If it does not, part of your problem is that XP does not have the correct drivers so has loaded a generic one that has limited function. Still, with the correct driver, you need to set your display resolution and refresh rates. Your monitor itself should have some controls to adjust the display size. The first step is to know the display device and get the proper drivers for it. Post back what you find and good luck.

Collapse -
similar problem
by rt2001 / September 3, 2008 5:11 AM PDT

I'm having a similar problem: the image is not filling the screen size. it's a dell laptop that came with XP already installed. the problem only occurred after running a video game. I've tried messing with the resolution and refresh rates to no success. any other suggestions?

Collapse -
My guess
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 3, 2008 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: similar problem

is that the game is not returning the system to its proper screen resolution after you close out of the game.

Video games generally run at a much lower resolution than the screen resolution we use normally nowadays for Desktop displays, typically games run at 800 x 600 or less. If you are exiting the game correctly, then I would think the game has been poorly coded and doesn't return the laptop to its normal resolution.

If that is the case there is not much you can do except check on the game's web site for possible solutions.

It may be that the video driver needs updating, you don't say much about the laptop, model number, how old, any other problems, etc, neither do you name the game, but generally I would say if the system otherwise works well, then it is not a driver issue.

The other thing that could be the cause is the game's minimum specification requirements. Does your laptop meet them?

One other thing. Did you check the date this thread was started? You're lucky someone called in. Often members here pass on by when they see old discussions like this resurrected.

Mark

Collapse -
Image does not fill the monitor screen
by vikonau / June 16, 2009 4:54 PM PDT
In reply to: My guess

I have an HP laptop Presario B1810 with a 12" screen. I shut down the computer in the afternoon and restarted later in the evening and suddenly the 12" screen started displaying a 10" image leaving a 2" black stripe down the right hand side of the screen. I was not running any games or unusual programs. The entire image is present, only too small. I am running Windows XP Home. I have updated the BIOS, updated the graphics drivers, and tried adjusting all the settings. Nothing has any effect. Note: the size of the image on the screen is 10" from start-up, that is, from the moment the computer is turned on, before it even begins to load windows. So the HP splash screen is also only 10".
Any help would be appreciated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.