Web Hosting, Design, & Coding

General discussion

SiteMaker Pro ripoff

by dkt2u / November 19, 2004 3:22 AM PST

I just realized what a complete rip off SiteMaker Pro supposed software is. You pay $50.00 for a disk that all it does is connect to their website, only to be told it's a temporary trial and you have to pay a monthly fee in order to actually use anything. I do not take lightly being ripped off. I am contacting every site that evaluates software and will continue posting warnings about thier misleading marketing practices. It's only if you look at the fine print (the smalles print on the box) on the bottom flap of the box that you find out you are really not buying software at all. This is one of the worst examples of misleading marketing I have seen and will do everything possible to cost them as many potential customers as possible. Would appreciate feedback on anyone experiencing the same fraud.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SiteMaker Pro ripoff
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SiteMaker Pro ripoff
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Make a review!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2004 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: SiteMaker Pro ripoff
Collapse -
Definitely a Ripoff
by Kevin O / March 25, 2005 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: Make a review!

I was taken today by there false and misleading advertising.

I am going to return the Software over the weekend.

Definitely recommend that User DO NOT BUY THIS SOFTWARE due to the fine print. You shouldn't have to be a lawyer to buy software.

Federal Trade Commission needs to be notified.

Collapse -
Make a Stink!
by timwerx / November 19, 2004 6:35 PM PST

Make a stink! Make a stink!

There are too many good open source free programs out there to be ripped off like that.

Make a stink!

Collapse -
Free web building software?
by danac1234 / July 31, 2006 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Make a Stink!

Can you name a few? I have tried three. I know sitemaker pro is not free but it is the most useful and effortless software I have used???
Dana

Collapse -
Re: SiteMaker Pro ripoff
by Atmos42 / December 4, 2004 9:38 AM PST

For one thing, you should have gone to their website to check out the Faqs. Secondly, you should have read the package a little better. They are a website service and not just another wysiwyg editor, not my cup of tea but hey, some people need to have their hands held. The Faq on their website spells it all out. Next time, do your research before you buy, you wouldn't buy a car without taking it for a test drive would you? Maybe then you won't be so suprised by the outcome.

Collapse -
Re: I disagree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 4, 2004 7:38 PM PST

I think the point he was making was that the "small print" was not clear.

How many times have you purchased something and not read the small, (I mean, the very small), print on the box?

You mention the FAQ at their web site. Presumably then their main page does not mention this small "condition" of use of their product? Why would they not mention that? Why hide it away where people have to go digging deep for something they do not even know is relevant?

Marketing like this is unsatisfactory and the manufacturers/suppliers should be told.

Mark

Collapse -
Whoa! Blame the Victim?
by atlascott / February 15, 2005 8:42 AM PST

I just did a web search because I was in my local Frye's electronics. Don't blame the customer. The box says it is a WYSIWYG website editos. The fine print says it is like 2 months free hosting. Evidently, it is 100% rip-off. I read the entire box, and there is nothing on there that says there is no web design software. This is REPREHENSIBLE behavior! I would encourage call to your State's Atttorney General as well as the local Better Business Bureau.

I have used V-Com and CoffeeeCup editors. Coffeecup is easy to use but very basisc--V-Com puts an advertisement for V-Com on your web page whether you want it or not. I want something better. This aint it.

Collapse -
Want something better?
by ididit / February 24, 2005 11:37 PM PST

No WYSIWYG editor is error-free, nor will any do EVERYthing you might want to do. And, all of them will, at some point in time, create an error or something that you will want to change. You should have a good, basic knowledge of HTML before using any software for coding webpages. Otherwise, you are just at the mercy of the software and it's limitations. I would suggest you check out http://www.htmlgoodies.com for some assistance. Learning some basic HTML is not that difficult, and taking the easy way out by relying on editing software entirely will ultimately cause you problems.

Collapse -
Re: SiteMaker Pro ripoff
by manojkona / May 30, 2005 1:40 PM PDT

SiteMaker should have clearly specified that it's only a website service. They mis-direct customers into thinking that its a frontpage like website creation tool while its stands no where comparing to the features offered by even freely available tools. On the package they clearly compare themselves with Microsoft frontpage luring many people into buying it. This is clearly a marketing gimmick and a ripoff. My only advice is don't buy this product thinking of it as a one time investment.

Collapse -
SiteMaker Pro is no rip off
by johnph / January 3, 2005 9:31 AM PST

Here is the deal with SiteMaker. It is not meant to be misleading, it is meant to be simple.

There are thousands of happy customers who have beautiful, professional looking sites up that have no idea how many steps were eliminated in the site building process. There is no need to download programs, no need to buy or secure a site address, no need to deal with finding hosting or FTP access because it is all included.

SiteMaker?s online format lets you access the huge content libraries from any Internet connection, AND the changes are published online immediately.
SiteMaker Pro sites include 100MB of storage and can handle about 2000 concurrent connections. PayPal shopping cart integration and membership settings included.

The only un-happy customers I encounter as the SiteMaker Customer Service manager are people who are computer literate, that don?t take the time to read the box.

The product may not be for everybody, but to say it is a rip-off is not fair to the thousands of SiteMaker customers who have a site online and only know that ?FTP? is a florist.

Collapse -
Sorry, John.
by chuckieu / January 4, 2005 5:02 AM PST

From the information given, this is shady, at best. If I pay $50 for software, my expectation would be to get that software. I normally check out a product (including user opinions) before buying. That said, I also have the expectation that any legitimate company will give me ALL pertinent information up front. Users opinion on a product is much different than the fact that I am not getting what I actually thought I was buying. Having to dig through FAQs or read exceptionally small print on a box(which may not even be possible if buying online) is DECEPTIVE, no matter how you try to explain it away.
Calling anyone that gets taken(and doesn't like it) illiterate(you misspelled that, by the way) is a good tip-off that this is not a real surprise. chuck

Collapse -
By the way
by johnph / January 10, 2005 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry, John.

If you read my original post, I did not call anyone "illiterate", I wrote "people who are computer literate".

Collapse -
Actually, I did read it.
by chuckieu / January 12, 2005 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: By the way

Maybe you should re-read it. Both my original assessment
and statement are correct. The tactics sound shady, and your statement either mis-spells illiterate, or says only
computer illiterates are happy with your product. chuck

Collapse -
RE actually I did read it
by mwkendall1 / January 17, 2005 12:39 AM PST

Actually this was copied and pasted directly from the post - "people who are computer literate".
But I must agree that I should not have to read every word on the box with a magnifing glass to find out I am not getting what it says on the front of the box in big bold print.
John- If you are so proud of your service, put it in big bold print right below the title on the box, so no one gets the mistaken impression that they are buying something they are not.
Hey is it really $50.00 for a "trial" ??
Every "trial" I have ever heard of was FREE!!
Maybe it was $2.99 at the store to help pay for the box. (CD itself cost less than a quarter).
CAVEAT:
I don't usually purchase software until I know I am not buying junk.
Do your homework, you are at a good site for reviews, however this is only one of many places to get reliable info.
Do a google search, if the software is very good, or very bad, you will find websites devoted to it!

Collapse -
SiteMaker Pro is definitely a ripoff
by manojkona / May 30, 2005 1:45 PM PDT

SiteMaker should have clearly specified that it's only a website service. They mis-direct customers into thinking that its a frontpage like website creation tool while its stands no where comparing to the features offered by even freely available tools. On the package they clearly compare themselves with Microsoft frontpage luring many people into buying it. This is clearly a marketing gimmick and a ripoff. My only advice is don't buy this product thinking of it as a one time investment.

Collapse -
To John / SiteMaker pro no rip off!!
by danac1234 / July 31, 2006 1:02 PM PDT

Hey John: You are right! SiteMaker Pro is not a rip off! I found working with SiteMaker Pro very easy and if I needed help I got a quick responce from the support team. I just happened to see this posting while getting ready to build another site with the software.
Dana

Collapse -
Site Maker
by MlgHaloKid / May 10, 2011 5:19 AM PDT

100mb? I DON'T EVEN GET THAT MUCH FROM PAYING $60NZD AND SITE MAKER JUNK IS A COPY OF UCOZ THAT'S BETTER OH AND DID I SAY FREE???

Collapse -
Ive Had great success with sitemaker!
by gregghamil / July 24, 2011 7:51 AM PDT

I just wanna say that ive used sitemaker for several years and have built dozens of sites using there online program and have had a lot of great success. Sure you have to pay a fee...common sense tells you that. There program offers you a lot of options and new ones come out pretty often. You can really make a nice looking site and be very creative in the process. What i do wish they would do is show clients that are more advanced how to be more creative with working around there site and an email every once in a while with whats new would be nice as well.

Collapse -
Sitemaker Pro SU_KS
by summit Graphics / January 17, 2005 1:32 PM PST

In response to the person who works for website animal. I looked at the box thuroughly and didn't see the real fine print until I read this post. The software box is very misleading. I have an established website and wanted to spice it up abit.

I dont need:

www.sitemakercrap.mywebsite.website.animal.//:http.com.
Could you imagine even being ranked in the first 1000 pages of Google with an web address like that.
This crap is going back to CompUSA.
The online Support sucks and why do they have an electrical socket instead of a telephone or lan socket on the box.
I normally don't write reviews, but man this software
SUCKS

Collapse -
Take a Free Trial
by johnph / January 21, 2005 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: Sitemaker Pro SU_KS

OK everyone, go to www.websiteanimal.com and click on "Get Started" to take a free 7 day trial.

See what you think.

Collapse -
WebClickGo
by sonicsam / January 27, 2005 12:36 AM PST
In reply to: Take a Free Trial

Or try these guys.

http://www.WebClickGo.com

Try it out for as long as you like, create a website in minutes and only subscribe when you deside to publish.

Collapse -
Pay with a credit card
by billstott / March 29, 2005 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: WebClickGo

Cnet is the best reading material I have ever owned.

Thanks to Compusa and a lot of internet things that appear out of the night on my credit card, I pay everything with the credit card. I keep a nice letter to the card company telling them to remove this rip off and to block any thing else from this company.

It only takeas a couple minutes and these $20 dollars and $50 dollar charges add up to a lot of nothing received.

Since they seldom can be contacted, the credit card company will not waste their time with endless voice mail, they just take the charge off, and send you a letter of confirmation.

Collapse -
Not Enough Templates
by cntrygurl / June 8, 2005 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: WebClickGo

They have a very small selection of templates. Nothing that was useful for the site that I want to build. Yahoo has better templates and you don't have to pay until you publish, also.

Collapse -
Link For 7-Day Trial Doesn't Work!
by jrjollymon / June 9, 2005 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Take a Free Trial

I decided to take SiteMaker Pro for a test drive, as suggested. Too bad the link for the 7-day trial doesn't work! Guess I won't be buying this software! I'm glad I read these messages before I bought the program.

Collapse -
SiteMaker Pro is definitely ripoff
by manojkona / May 30, 2005 1:44 PM PDT

Collapse -
READ THE DESCRIPTION
by cntrygurl / June 8, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

Before I even came on here to read what others had to say about this software, I knew it was an internet only service. It states it very clearly. Here is what was on the COMPUSA site.

The easiet way to build and maintain a high-quality business website and sell products ONLINE. Everything needed to be online instantly including 60 days free hosting.

Sitemaker Pro is a multiple award-winning website building service that allows you to quickly and easily create professional looking websites. These sites are based entirely in Macromedia's Flash technology, which not only mean they look great, but they have many distinct advantages over other website builders.

Features
TOTALLY ONLINE SERVICE
Because it is completely online you can edit your website from anywhere in the world! There is no software to download, install or upgrade.

There are more features listed but the VERY FIRST FEATURE tells you clearly there is no software that it is just ONLINE.

DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO READ & RESEARCH THINGS BEFORE YOU BUY THEM. DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT SITEMAKER BEING THE IDIOTS. I THINK YOU PEOPLE JUST DIDN'T READ.

Collapse -
RIP OFF
by MlgHaloKid / May 8, 2011 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: READ THE DESCRIPTION

THIS SITE MAKER JUNK IS A COPY OF UCOZ BUT THEY THEY MAKE IT MORE SUCKER AND MAKE IT SO THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT!!! RIP OFF

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.