Mac OS forum

General discussion

Single Click to Open Files?

by raybeauchamp / March 8, 2005 11:55 AM PST

I use Mac at home and Windoze XP at work. There's only one feature of Windoze that I like better than what the Mac has to offer. It's this: being able to single-click (browser style) to open a file. I've gotten so used to this with Windoze, it really bugs me to have to double-click to open files in Mac. (Otherwise, I'm a Mac fanatic -- no flames, please!)

Surely there must be a setting or a small utility I can use to do this relatively simple thing, but I can't seem to find it, though I've looked high and low. (System is Mac OS X 10.3)

Can anyone please help? Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Single Click to Open Files?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Single Click to Open Files?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm confused
by dark angel / March 11, 2005 1:46 PM PST

If you are already in Panther then why doyou need to double click.

You can either access the programs you want by the DOCK, after placing them down there---then you just need to click once on the icon there.

The other way would need to either double click or click once to highlight them then command-o to open them and that would be to open the window of the folder that the programs live in.

To Add the program to the dock:

1. Find it in the Applications folder or wherever you have the original program located.

2. Click/drag the icon of the program to the dock area and place it where you wish it to be there.

To remove from the dock:

Click/drag the program icon to the trash (make sure the program has been quit out of.

Hope this helps some.

Collapse -
Re: I'm Confused
by raybeauchamp / March 15, 2005 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: I'm confused

Just to clarify, I'm talking about opening individual files in Finder, not applications. For instance, to open a particular document in Word, I'd rather just click once on it to open it (like opening another Web page in a browser by clicking once on the link to it) than have to double-click it or click once then hit Command-O or open Word first and then find the document. I don't want to put every document I have in the Dock, either, although this might be possible.

Single-clicking, browser-style, to open documents is a simple folder setting in WinXP, but it seems impossible thus far in Mac.

Again, I realize this is a small thing. It would just be nice, and I'm thinking there must be some way to do it either within Panther or via and add-on utility of some sort. If anyone has any further info, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.

Collapse -
Double Clicking
by taboma. / March 15, 2005 2:33 PM PST
In reply to: Re: I'm Confused

I am not sure of a Utility that you can use for single clicking. May be nice in M$ Windoze and M

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.