Storage forum

General discussion

Simpletech simpledrive 250GB not detected on my computer

by shahhar / September 5, 2007 1:21 AM PDT

I bought a Simpletech simpledrive 250GB external drive. After connecting it to my home desktop (Compaq Presario SR2002X) front USB 2.0 port and leaving it on for a while, my computer won't detect it. To check if my computer had a problem, I connect the drive to my work laptop (Dell Precision), it still wasn't detected. I tried everything from changing the BIOS setting on my desktop to disconnecting an extra internal drive I have, but still nothing happens. I am thinking about returning the drive. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Simpletech simpledrive 250GB not detected on my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Simpletech simpledrive 250GB not detected on my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds defective.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2007 1:35 AM PDT

Or there are no partitions on it. Some expect these to be ready to use. Some models aren't.

Bob

Collapse -
Does your system recognize that you've attached as USB
by VAPCMD / September 5, 2007 2:01 PM PDT

device...as shown in the systray USB Icon ?

If yes...go to
Start
Settings
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
Disk Management
See anything noted as 'Unallocated Space'?
If yes...Right Click on it, Partition it and then Format it.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
It was a defective drive
by shahhar / September 5, 2007 11:20 PM PDT

I exchanged it for a new one in the store and now it works with all my computers. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Good to hear you got it resolved ..Thanks for the feedback
by VAPCMD / September 6, 2007 10:13 AM PDT

.the lesson don't use an external HDD to store the only copy of something you can't afford to lose.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thank You VAPCMD!
by Technofauxb / September 23, 2007 5:11 PM PDT

I bought a SimpleDrive 250gb USB External Hard Drive, and when I plugged it in, it refused to play with my Dell Dimension 2400. Although Windows XP detected and allegedly installed the SimpleDrive, it was nowhere to be found when I double-clicked My Computer.

After spending hours trolling through various online forums (seems that more than a few Dell owners have had troubles with SimpleDrives), I found your post. I followed your instructions and, yes indeed, the SimpleDrive was listed as "Unallocated Space." I have no earthly clue what "Unallocated Space" is, but I did as you directed -- right-clicked, partitioned, formatted -- and suddenly my SimpleDrive is listed in My Computer.

I've transferred a sample file to the SimpleDrive with no problem. We'll see if it continues to play nice as I put it to use. But thanks for saving me a trip to OfficeMax to return it. (I now feel much better about the great price I got -- $69.00)

Collapse -
My vista will not recognize simple tech ext. storage usb dev
by dewey brunner / October 15, 2007 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank You VAPCMD!

For days tried some of your sugg. and others and cannot get ot recognize. I have the simple tech 250 mg hard drive which i loaded it with movies etc and cannot get vista to recognize. Have also tried on wife's xp with same results. Trying to call Simple Tech is like flying to the moon. Their site is worthless with no answers. Do you have any place to start? I do not remember when,or where, but I saw a driver for this unit.
Please give me a place to start. I have no icon on bar like you said on another' problem. Thanks for your help..Dewey in Tampa

Collapse -
Re: hard disk not recognized
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2007 3:21 AM PDT

You say you loaded it with movies etc. On what machine did you load it, and can you still access the files there?
What does disk management (in XP) say about this drive?

Kees

Collapse -
ext hard drive not recognized
by dewey brunner / October 15, 2007 8:51 AM PDT

Finally got ext storage simpletech, to come up under computer management, however, generated disc drive 6. All properties are correct and correct driver is established.
Now when I go to My computer this drive, does not show any where. yet it is in drive 6 not one like c,f,g, h etc. When device usb unplugged while still in computer management, the drive 6 disappears. when plug back in info re appears.
What can I do to get My Computer to recognize drive 6? Thanks so much. Dewey in tampa

Collapse -
ext hard drive
by dewey brunner / October 16, 2007 12:22 AM PDT

Finally was able to formatt ext hard drive. It wiped out all on drive. took about ten hours to format. Then connected to source receiver and loaded movie. It formatted it and loaded movie.
When hooked back up to computer I had lost my k drive and would have to format again. is there an answer to not having to re formatt. Or not losing k drive again?

Collapse -
Simpledrive 500Gb problem
by geoffwessex / November 7, 2007 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: ext hard drive

I got the external SimpleTech Simpledrive 500Gb a week ago. Installed it - simple, no driver required, but it wasn't pre-formatted, as I'd expected. Formatted (NTFS) with no problem. Started to put a few file folders on and that was quick, all seemed well. Next day I find that the drive has reverted to RAW formatting again. I tried installing again via the accompanying disk, reformatted to NTFS and, after two more days, I put a few more folders on. A day later, I go back to the drive and find that it's reverted to the unformatted state - gone back to the RAW - so I couldn't access it (the file folders were mainly back-ups so I wasn't unduly worried).

Hmmm - tried their 'Support' line - no reply (and it's been either no reply or voicemail several times since). Sent an email a week ago via their 'support form' at their website. I get no reply after three emails (and note that the 'Case Number' has risen by around 2000 in a week).

I gave in and reformatted today, moved a folder over no problem. Since then I've been getting system error messages, "Windows Delayed Write faied. Windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:\$Mft. Failure of computer hardware.... etc".

I've read elsewhere on this forum about drivers for USB etc, but surely I don't need something else?

Any ideas most welcome.

WIndows XP,
2Gb RAM
80Gb HD
USB2.0

Geoff

Collapse -
Tell us about the USB port you used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2007 8:21 AM PST

Is it on the front of a desktop machine? If so, move to the rear port and start over.

Bob

Collapse -
USB Port
by geoffwessex / November 7, 2007 12:11 PM PST

A USB port at the back, along with the others (my front USB ports gave up after about nine months).

However, after I posted here I got an email from SimpleTech who suddenly seem very helpful - I'm fairly sure I lost my data but they'll exchange the drive for me. Can't say fairer than that! I'll report here when I get a new drive and test it out. Thanks for the reply, though!

Collapse -
One more suggestion...B A C K U P and never
by VAPCMD / November 7, 2007 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: USB Port

put the only copy of anything you can't afford to lose on your external HDD.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Point taken
by geoffwessex / November 7, 2007 10:16 PM PST

Though it kind of defeats the object of having an external drive if I've also got to have all my data on CDs, which would then be the only true backup.

Collapse -
HDDs .. especially EXTERNALS are susceptible to failure,
by VAPCMD / November 16, 2007 11:13 AM PST
In reply to: Point taken

infection or corruption at any moment. CDs or DVDs are safe but very slow compared to HDDs.

I use a second INTERNAL HDD for my primary backup and an external HDD as my second backup (always unplugged except when saving backup). And my backups are partition images...complete images of C: (OS and APPs) and D: (ALL DATA and DOWNLOADS). Backups are quick and easy ...only had to restore once to put in a larger capacity HDD.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
best place to back up files?
by ragazzaviola / May 8, 2009 1:33 AM PDT

Where is the best place to put the important files? I just got this Eee Pc with "Hybrid storage" but I'm afraid to put files online that the company can decide to terminate any time it pleases. This little netbook is nice, but not big enough to store all my files. So I was thinking to keep everything on an external hard drive, but this is not a good idea?

Collapse -
Simpledrive (SimpleTech) 500 gb problem
by radio_frequency / November 15, 2007 12:55 PM PST

I just bought a 500 Gb Simpletech external hard drive today at Officemax $129.99 after $40 instant rebate. Pulled it out of the box and connected it to my Dell Inspirion 2200 (1.7 GHz; 504? MB RAM) running XP Home Edition SP2. It won't recognize the drive or even show up in the disk management tools as unrecognized space. Its USB identity does show up and in the system tray it does infer that I can safely remove Hardware. The CD ROM does say that it is preformatted with NTFS but if it isn't formatted how could I tell?

Collapse -
Try connecting thru a port located at rear of PC or
by VAPCMD / November 15, 2007 8:16 PM PST

another PC.

If it fails to work ....exchange it soon.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Simpledrive 500Gb
by geoffwessex / November 15, 2007 10:02 PM PST

My new Simpledrive 500Gb was NOT pre-formatted and I had to reformat it as NTFS. (You find out about formatting via the Properties, if the drive shows up at all). Once I'd reformatted I transferred some files to it and it seemed fine, then a day later the computer didn't recognise it again and I discovered that the formatting had been lost (it was back as 'RAW') so I lost the files too. I eventually got a reply from the Simpletech support via email and have now sent it back for replacement.

Collapse -
No detection here either, but it's the computer.Suggestions?
by Lerxst69 / February 16, 2008 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: Simpledrive 500Gb

I've plugged in a 500GB with no luck for detection. I tried a different cable and locations... nothing. I then tried a 320BG Simpledrive that I know works, and nothing. Any suggestions?

M/B: Asus K8V-X SE
O/S: XP (fully updated)
RAM: 2GB
HDD1: 80GB
HDD2: 300GB

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Collapse -
Never be sure it's the computer.
by Kees Bakker / February 16, 2008 11:49 PM PST

First try both drives at another PC. If they work there, it's the computer.
Then try ALL USB-ports. Some may work, some may not work. If you find a working one, you're done, more or less.
Then try a working USB-port (check with any other USB device, like a mouse or a USB-stick) and connect it the disk through an active hub to that port.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Simpledrive 500Gb
by trip seven / October 14, 2008 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Simpledrive 500Gb

how do i reformat my external simpledrive 500 Gb back to ntfs

Collapse -
by carol759 / February 6, 2008 8:40 AM PST

and if not? what should i do?

Collapse -
Not the drive.
by Lerxst69 / February 17, 2008 10:47 AM PST
In reply to: ....

I tried plugging the drive into another computer... it worked like a charm... so it looks like it's my computer. Not sure what to do next.

Collapse -
Are you shahhar ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2008 10:50 AM PST
In reply to: Not the drive.

Just checking. This post looks like it's getting hijacked and is getting fragmented.

I looked at just your posts and can't tell if you use the rear USB port and if you installed your motherboard's chipset drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
True enough... sorry for the hijack.
by Lerxst69 / February 17, 2008 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: Are you shahhar ?

I tried different USB ports, and will update the drivers.

Joe

Collapse -
thanks
by hotsofali / February 29, 2008 6:24 PM PST

I just did what you said, and it worked fine for me. Thanks a lot

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear....Thanks for the feedback !
by VAPCMD / April 20, 2008 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks
Collapse -
Does your system recognize that you've attached as USB - res
by Rogue013 / September 21, 2008 8:26 AM PDT

VAPCMD - That worked like a champ... Thx

Collapse -
simpledrive
by shellie daybell / September 11, 2009 2:27 PM PDT

i tried to do everything you posted for another person and i just cant get it to work ive retarted my computer with it plugged in and nothing ive turned it off and on several times and nothing it worked for a while when new i had to move my computer so i ejected it properly moved my computer and plugged it back in and ever since then it refuses to work HELP ME!!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.