PC Applications

Question

Simple file backup (I miss bac.com)

by mvwoolner / January 1, 2013 2:39 AM PST

PC Magazine published a free, simple backup utility called bac.com (from the 1980's, I think) for DOS. It copied files from one drive to another, but did not copy files that had not changed. It had a few (very few) bells and whistles, but I used it regularly and it was very serviceable. Today, however, it cannot handle large files or longer than standard DOS filenames.

Does anyone know of any free or inexpensive utilities similary to bac.com? All I need is to copy files from my had drive to my flash drives for backup, and avoid copying the whole thing (three hours!).

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Simple file backup (I miss bac.com)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Simple file backup (I miss bac.com)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
BAC.COM Update
by tkneal / July 23, 2013 2:38 AM PDT

Marshall

I was looking for exactly the same utility as you when I found your post. I used BAC.COM previously extensively and miss its re Lotus Notes "replication" features which I would like to find in a current command line utility as well. I too have a data/files directory on both my PC and Flashdrive on which I use to keep current files. I now teach at several colleges and keep class/semester related schedules, docs etc on my flashdrive which I access at school. Recently my flashdrive had a hardware error, from which I was able to recover, but it forced me to now copy from one directory to another, making sure I keep track of the time and date file stamps to make I am not overwritin anything important - which is a tedious task at best - I do not have tha amount of data that do you, but have multiple subdirectories I have to manually sync.

As an old DOS expert and recent Lotus Notes Professional, I would like to find a current utility that would meld the features of the two, the DOS BAC.COM command line simplictiy, with the "replication" features of Notes that keeps every instance of a file in sync.

Please let me know if you have been lucky enough to find something.... surely with all the software out there, some one has written/updated this handy utility - especially now it would seem with all the flash drives out there.

Perhaps we can pool our request to get something done.

Thanks
Tom

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I use a few apps for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 2:52 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank you. Perhaps some clarification
by mvwoolner / February 1, 2013 8:10 AM PST

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. What I want may be so simple that it already exists in xcopy; I have read the Microsoft online information about xcopy, but not sure if it does everything I want it to do.

I use a directory called "data" to store all the files I create - jpeg, Word .doc, Excel, PowerPoint, genealogy files, etc., each in it's own directory below "data"

What I would like to do is type in one command line command to replicate all of the subdirectories and files under "data" to my 128GB flash drive, which also has a directory "data" My first copy of this took over 2 hours, and a subsequent copy/past took just as long. I would like to:

copy only files that are new (do not exist on the target) or have been modified since the last copy; and create any new subdirectories and populate them.

Since I plan to do the synchronizing about once a week or so, I was hoping that the process would only take a few minutes if it only involved copying new and changed files, instead of the whole mess.

I was studying the command line switches for xcopy but could not make out if there was a parameter to copy only changed files and new files.

Any help will be appreciated.

And thank you again for taking the time to answer.

Marshall

Collapse -
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2013 9:34 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.