Internet Service Providers forum

Significance and hitch of IPV6.

by iminmessaging / June 18, 2013 5:21 PM PDT

What would be the significance and drawback of IPV6 in respect of network, security and else.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Significance and hitch of IPV6.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Significance and hitch of IPV6.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
None today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 3:02 AM PDT

As you don't see this in use today, you can see it has no impact at all. And not being in use, then not a security issue today.

Why not read prior discussions and see what folk are predicting?

Collapse -
I heard IPv6 has been in use.
by iminmessaging / June 19, 2013 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: None today.

I heard IPv6 has been in use for many years, it has been deployed on relatively few networks.

Collapse -
I've heard same but never found it in any
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 2:48 AM PDT

I have yet to find it in any workplace or home network. It's all very interesting but for new, your everyday IT staffer can ignore it. However it's like a religion to some and unless you acknowledge it and know about it then you may be called an idiot or worse.

It may be the future but it's not something to worry about today.

Collapse -
Research over Ipv6.
by iminmessaging / June 20, 2013 3:19 PM PDT

I don't think the research what is going upon it to use it widely and more frequently is said to be worse and stupid. It is surely going to be implemented in future and every one has to switch over it.

Collapse -
So the end is nigh?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2013 3:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Research over Ipv6.

We've heard this for years. As to your commented about it "to be implemented" it's already there in Windows, Linux and more if you want to use it.

What's stopping you today?

Collapse -
Technologies do not rely on a single person and concept.
by iminmessaging / June 20, 2013 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: So the end is nigh?

It's not stopping me only, we all including you are waiting for it. You and we all know that the technology what we are using and what we would be using in future has to be accepted through the world.
We are getting away from the topic if you have any idea or conclusion about the topic, "Please Suggest".

Collapse -
Here's my suggestion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2013 2:55 AM PDT

Today - Use what works and wait for this to catch on.

You seem to be aware of some feature you want or need in IPV6 but never revealed it. As it stands today, what do you need in IPV6? You didn't share.

What I'm sharing is that for now, you can ignore it. This can inflame those that want the new protocol or have gear to sell so be sure you know who's telling you need to change it now.

Collapse -
by iminmessaging / June 23, 2013 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's my suggestion.

Thanks! for your cordial suggestion.

Collapse -
Significance and hitch of IPV6
by DELL-Appu_S Dell staff / June 19, 2013 3:38 AM PDT

Hi iminmessaging,

IPv6 networks provide autoconfiguration capabilities. They are simpler, flatter and more manageable, especially for large installations. For more information on IPV6, please refer to Wikipedia.

Thanks and Regards,
Appu S

Collapse -
IPV4 also has autoconfiguration.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 3:40 AM PDT

i.e. DHCP.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.