Networking & Wireless

Question

Signal strength - how good is good?

by RVHAT / August 27, 2012 2:04 AM PDT

I have a Linksys WRT120N router and a bunch of devices wirelesslly connected. My office, with my laptop and desktop are only about thirty feet away from the router and on the same floor. There are a few walls in the way.

My laptop connects very well and never drops the signal. inSSIDer shows a signal strength of -61 to -68 and Windows 7 calls that "Excellent". (BTW, inSSIDer is a fantastic tool to actually see how your signal strength varies).

My desktop, right next to the laptop, also Windows 7 with a Linksys AE1000 USB wireless adapter shows a signal strength of -71 to -75 and Windows calls that "Fair". Also, on this machine the signal gets dropped frequently (several times an hour) but reconnects quickly. It's a pain in the butt.

So, I have a few questions...

1) What is a good signal strength? Even when I bring the laptop so it sits right in front of the router the signal strength is -30 to -40 (quite a lot of variation). Is that good?

2) Why the difference in signal strength between the laptop and desktop given they are right next to each other. Is there that much difference between the network adapters?

3) Why does my AE1000 USB network adapter drop the signal so frequently. Is it because the signal is so weak or could it be that it's just not a good adapter? (I have two of them and there is no difference between them.) Can I get another USB network adapter with greater sensitivity?

4) I am considering getting a repeater to put in my office and then hard-wire it to my desktop. Would that be better than getting a better router with better coverage?

Any help is appreciated, TIA.

Bob

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Signal strength - how good is good?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Signal strength - how good is good?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
So, how does one measure signal quality?
by RVHAT / August 27, 2012 2:24 AM PDT

Thanks for the response. It sounds like the problem is more with my USB network adapter than with the router itself. Since the laptop never drops the signal that implies that the router is fine. Yes?

Thanks

Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
signal strength
by bill012 / August 27, 2012 2:17 AM PDT

This is mostly because there is no standard to what these words mean. Like cell phones and how many bars you get. Some devices like to make it appear they are better than others when they are not really.

If everyone had to use db levels then at least it would be a start.

But it all doesn't matter. Signal strength is only part of the issue. Signal Quality is much more important. Some wireless cards will actually show the quality based on how many errors it is getting in the data. Getting errors is what causes the cards to drop or at least shift to slower encoding methods.

The best example of why signal strength means nothing is take 2 radios and play them on different stations at maximum volume. You would hear lots of sounds but not a lot of usable.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.