Phones forum

General discussion

Signal problem! I just bought Straight Talk... Help!

by yiwakawa / October 23, 2009 2:24 PM PDT

Hi I hope I didn't shoot my self in the foot going cheap, but I just bought Straight Talk from Walmart and all it will show is I'm on Roam. So I'm out of service at home. I got to get back to my old Boost plan if this don't work.

I guess the question I want to know. Who provides the service in my area? I know Sprint only gets 1 or no bars around my home "I had one and my friends has the same issues here", and my friend that has Verizon gets about 2 and sometimes 3 bars? I'm seeing 4 full bars on my Samsung R451C. Anyone know who's signal I'm seeing on Roam? To my knowledge we only have Verizon and Sprint as the CDMA carriers in my area for sale.

Thank you for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Signal problem! I just bought Straight Talk... Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Signal problem! I just bought Straight Talk... Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Signal problem! I just bought Straight Talk... Help!
by plarsen111 / October 23, 2009 10:23 PM PDT

Verizon Wireless provides the network. Boost mobile runs on the Sprint Network.

I would see if you have a friend or family member who has a Verizon phone, and have them make phone calls from your house. If the quality is poor on their phone, then you know it is the carrier (Verizon). If it is fine on their phone, then you need to take your phone back to Walmart or StraightTalk.

BTW, I inquired about the return policy from both Walmart and StraighTalk. They will take it back.

Do everyone a favor and report back your findings. It will be nice to found out if it is the phone, or the carrier.

Collapse -
Keep in mind that...
by Pepe7 / October 24, 2009 1:09 AM PDT

...the OP's findings will only apply at his specific location/domo\icile. If he would supply a zip code it would be inherintly more useful if we could pop over to the verizon prepaid coverage web site and see what coverage should be expected.

-Pedro

Collapse -
OK.
by yiwakawa / October 24, 2009 1:19 AM PDT

OK I'm going to see if I can get the Verizon phone out to my house again.

I really don't know what kind of signal Straight talk's getting? It's got to be Verizon since I know all my other friends "about 4" got to hike up the little hill in the yard to get 1~2 steady bars. I had the same issue with my old Sprint phone. I went with AT&T but the sound quality was not too great in the area, and Boost offered about the same quality for a lot less.

On the straight talk phone it shows 4 full bars again? I really think it's a Verizon signal. Just don't know why my phone won't work on it?

Thanks again!

Collapse -
ZIP CODE
by yiwakawa / October 24, 2009 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: OK.

My ZIP CODE is 98230 it's about 15 miles away from the Canadian border in Washington.

Collapse -
Your specific location
by Pepe7 / October 24, 2009 1:43 AM PDT

If you have experienced reception problems with other carriers besides Verizon/Straight Talk, I believe you have answered your own question. Your friend's experience sounds like it mirrors yours too.

Quite a lot of the problems with cellular service are solved by trial and error, apart from any sort of technical support by a particular carrier. Hopefully the Verizon tech can determine if it's a topography/small dead spot issue.

Collapse -
No the Verizon worked as good or better than AT&T
by yiwakawa / October 24, 2009 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Your specific location

No the Verizon phone my friend had worked great. The Voice was good little better than AT&T? and had really fast web.

I just got to get him out here again to see if he's on roam too.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Signal Strength
by alamoflyfisher / May 21, 2010 11:18 PM PDT

Straight talk phones will NOT roam. When you see roam on your hadset it, on a straight talk phone, means you do not have a signal. Roam on a Verizon phone means it is roaming and using someone else's tower. Your options are switch carrier's or possibly use an in home cell signal booster. The latter is somewhat expensive. I guess the third option is move close to a Verizon tower.

Collapse -
worst phone system ever!
by solar goddess / November 2, 2009 8:15 AM PST

I purchased this phone, thrilled to find a phone that promised verizon carrier and cheap. However, today i had to go and sign up for an expensive contract with Verizon because all i have had is trouble from day one. I use this for business and people OFTEN get a message that the "number they dialed is disconnected" or more often, that the "network is busy". I bought two of these phones, one for myself and one for my S.O. He gets the same trouble as well. When i called the straight talk line they said that they had not had this complaint and the woman was totally useless. When i went to wal-mart, the daft clerk also said that she never heard of this problem, but when i googled StraightTalk and Problems, i found others complaining as well. I am hoping that they fix this problem within the month so i can cancel my verizon contract. When i asked verizon if they were the carrier for straight talk, they said they never heard of it, yet in all the press releases, it says verizon, and when i place a call to my VoiceMail on the phone, it sometimes says Verizon Wireless, this call can not be placed as dialed." so it is a verizon network, but probably not the top tier.

Collapse -
I agree
by plarsen111 / November 2, 2009 9:34 AM PST

I give up. I went back to ATT. Not only that, I signed a two-year contract to get a decent phone (it pains me to sign a two-year contract).

I will say though, I feel like a big burden has been lifted. Everybody sounds much more clear.

Pre-paid will get there someday, but I have tried Net10 and StraightTalk, and they are not quite up to par.

Unless you are really cheap, I say stick with the big boys.

Collapse -
Hofo is a good resource too for prepaid, etc.
by Pepe7 / November 2, 2009 10:10 AM PST
In reply to: I agree

Howardforums.com is a useful site for additional feedback on prepaid, etc. Keep in mind you didn't have to obtain the phone directly from ATT. You could have brought in an unlocked phone to avoid being locked into a contract. All they would have charged you for is the initial activation fee and possibly the cost of the SIM card. Granted, this is not something they advertise however.

Collapse -
T mobile has no contract plan.
by yiwakawa / November 2, 2009 5:03 PM PST

T mobile has a plan that you buy the phone full price up front and your not locked into a 2 year contract. I hated cellphone contract since my phones never seem to live past the first year, and your stuck with a contract and got to buy a new phone full price anyhow.

I'm really happy that a cell phone company has a plan that cater to people like me. Some what cheap, don't want to be locked in, and want a choice of nice phones! Not bad for about $70 a month with unlimited talk and text.

Collapse -
Run From The Big Boys
by SkyKing49 / February 9, 2010 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: I agree

I have had AT&T for 7 years and am jumping ship for Straight Talk. I pay 90 bucks for me and my wife and we get a whopping 550 min. with AT&T. With Straight Talk We would get 1000 min, 1000 text and web access for 60 bucks a month. I could ditch my land line because 1000 min is plenty for me. That saves me 300 hundred a year easy plus 30 bucks a month cell phone savings. All toll it would be around 600 bucks a year is savings. The big boys are going to go the way of the Dodo bird I hope.

Collapse -
Agree
by Kattie55 / January 11, 2011 12:13 AM PST
In reply to: Run From The Big Boys

I was also a customer from At&T and switch to Straight Talk because a received a whooping bill of $398 for going over minutes. I just wanted to tell them off, but said no way let's do it the smart way, paid my bill, paid my going out of contract early, and left. Now am saving, have no contract and no $398 bills. Those savings are for traveling in May, June or whenever we can. Straight Talk has made a difference and also my husband finally switch. Thanks for the information. And to everyone that wants to save, switch to Straight Talk.

Collapse -
Straight Talk Phone
by Jasmine82_00 / September 11, 2010 4:44 AM PDT

Been reading the posts about signal problems on Straight Talk phones. I just had mine activated and am unable to get a signal at my house. Thinking I should have stayed with my Verizon prepaid phone or got a plan since they're apparently the only ones that get a signal here.

Collapse -
Sometimes cellphone come damaged
by Kattie55 / January 18, 2011 5:37 AM PST

I have read in several comments they have had problem with either Straight Talk, Net10, Att or any other cellphone. I've had all kinds, but recently purchased a Samsung R355c / Straight Talk cellphone from Wal-mart and no problems so far. I guess that the manufacturer needs to re-check (like other kinds of equipments, like Pc's, cars, Digital TV's) so persons don't have to go to the burden of exchanging or simply returning the equipment back to the store, that will be a loss for them. I have this ST cell for 5 months and no problems so far. Just wanted to place another comment on the above mentioned.

Collapse -
Got it.
by yiwakawa / October 24, 2009 6:58 AM PDT

I went back to Walmart and asked what was going on. Thay say it takes 7 days for my old number to port and once the number ports the "Roam" will disappear and the old phone stops working. If I remember right Boost gave me a temporary number while the number got moved from AT&T to them.

I wish they told me when I bought the phone.

Thank you for all the help!

Collapse -
Porting
by Pepe7 / October 24, 2009 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it.

Yeah, it's always nice to know at the time of purchase Wink

Glad you have it figured out.

Collapse -
Get Google Voice Number
by plarsen111 / October 24, 2009 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it.

As I previously mentioned, I got rid of my iPhone and am going to StraightTalk (currently Net10).

But I would not being doing this unless I was lucky enough to get a Google Voice account. I tell everyone my number, go buy different phones, set up Google Voice to ring my new cell phone...and I receive every call.

In two years you will laugh that you ever worried about some company porting your number again.

Collapse -
Google voice?
by yiwakawa / October 24, 2009 12:24 PM PDT

I got a invite for that few months back. Just didn't know what it was for? It would be nice to have a permanent number after this kind of junk. It's $10 to set up Google voice right?

Thank you.

Collapse -
HELP
by PAIZJG / May 9, 2010 10:10 PM PDT

Please elaborate further...
You're saying use my Gmail to set up a Voice account and then give out what number? The Google voice or the new phone I purchase?
Step by step instructions is best because I'm dumb...lol
Thanks....

Collapse -
Didn't work out got T Mobile.
by yiwakawa / October 30, 2009 2:58 PM PDT

Hi everyone

Sad news the Straight talk didn't work out for me. I could not take the number from Boost, and when I asked for a new number for the last 5 times or so they told me it just take 4~24 more hours and they call me when I can activate. Too bad it never happened.

Any how today I got on with T Mobile plan that you buy the phone full price and no contract. I think it's going to work out. Has as good of sound as AT&T too.

Thank you again for all the help!

Collapse -
come back
by linzday / November 2, 2009 4:32 PM PST

why not come to Walmart for a free checking ??

Collapse -
hello Straighttalk User
by tracfone1 / November 12, 2009 11:44 PM PST

My name is Elston and i am her to assit anyone that is having problem with there tracfone net10 safelink or straighttalk issue you can contact me by elombillo@tracfone.com

Collapse -
Call Time Remaining Message
by Steve C Rainey / December 9, 2009 1:46 PM PST

Every time I dial a phone number a system message states the amount of time I have remaining before placing the call, how can I make this go away, I'm on Straight Talk with a R451C phone.

Collapse -
Call Straight Talk Customer Service
by ppmyers / January 14, 2010 5:25 AM PST

Ask them, and they will turn off that annoying "time remaining" message.

I listened to that message before every call for about 3 weeks (it was making me crazier), then when I called to set up auto payment, I asked the guy if he could turn it off, and he did.

I made a call about an hour after I talked to him and the message was gone, and has stayed gone.

Collapse -
STRAIGHTTALK: HORRIFIC SERVICE (INDIA CUSTOMER SERVICE)
by Austiniter78727 / July 15, 2010 11:12 PM PDT

My family tried out StraightTalk for a couple of months. They had horrific issues with cutting us off days before our prepaid service ran out. I wrote Wal-Mart which sells StraightTalk to let them know they were defrauding consumers, and that calls to India was making it worse. StraightTalk as a company is horrible - don't waste your money, they're out to defraud you. Verizon should cancel their agreement with this company as it sends a really bad message to people that companies like Verizon are allowing this to happen to the general public. I sure hope this companies goes out of business, they're corrupt, dishonest and should be CLASS ACTION SUED.

Collapse -
Straight Talk
by yhicr / December 26, 2009 4:30 AM PST

sNot ure what your problem is. Mine works fine.

I had Verizon then switched to AT&T but the bills were CRAZY!.

When I heard about Straight Talk I couldn't believe it but got it from Walmart and have had it now for 2 months and it is just sick! I'd heard that it was on Verizon and the coverage is rock steady, so yeah!

Collapse -
ringtones
by joshstark09 / January 15, 2010 12:52 AM PST

I need help as well not only with this but with ringtones to my phone. I am a very poor college student and this is my first phone I need to know if there is anyway to get free ringtones on my LG290C or if I need to take it to wal-mart to get it looked at or checked out. Because it sends the stuff to my phone but when I try and open the message it says message expired or unable to read or something like that please help me.

Collapse -
Straight Talk
by SkyKing49 / May 11, 2010 10:26 PM PDT

Well...at least you did not have to sign a contract with Straight Talk. If you continue to have problems I would go with Boost Mobile. My son has it and he is satisfies. It is 50 bucks for unlimited everything. Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.