Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Sigmatel HD Audio Problem

by thomasriddle / September 14, 2007 9:18 AM PDT

hi, I bought a Gateway MT3422 Laptop and I downgraded the system from vista to genuine Windows XP SP2. Everything works fine except for the audio. I installed KB888111 hotfix and the Sigmatel HD audio driver from Gateway, but it wont work, and in Device manager under the Sigmatel HD audio codec sign there is a yellow dot. No sound can be played.

My system:
Windows XP Professional SP2
nvidia c51gm chipset/AMD hammer FSB
nvidia nforce 430 south bridge(MCP51)
Sigmatel HD 92XX audio Codec

Thanks in advance for the help!
If any more information is needed, I am glad to provide.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sigmatel HD Audio Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sigmatel HD Audio Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem with Dell Inspiron 1420
by octothorpe / September 18, 2007 3:38 AM PDT

Downgraded from Vista to XP SP2. Could get all drivers except sound. Dell customer support could not help with this either.

The SigmaTel 92XX C-Major HD Audio driver got installed, but sound doesn't work. In Device Manager, SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC has a yellow exclamation mark on it and sound doesn't work.

Anyone with any workarounds/alternate drivers?

Collapse -
Update
by octothorpe / September 18, 2007 4:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Dell Inspiron 1420 audio
by Orioncomp / September 19, 2007 2:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Update
Collapse -
It works!
by octothorpe / September 21, 2007 4:30 AM PDT

It works!

Thanks David, for the excellent blog!
Thanks Orioncomp, for providing that link!

Collapse -
problem with soundcard
by norton4 / September 30, 2007 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: It works!

I have an emachines w3609 and i downgraded from windows vista to windows xp home edition and now my sound card is not working. does anyone have a driver to fix this problem

Collapse -
It works for me too!
by tjcozz / November 11, 2007 1:45 AM PST

Thanks Dave. I've been trying for days and finally found this thread. What a relief!

System: Gateway MT6723 Notebook PC
(Downgrading to XP Pro)

You have made my day!

Collapse -
Installed new driver same problem - reloading XP again?
by powerx86 / December 3, 2007 7:32 PM PST
In reply to: It works for me too!

hey thanks for the link for the new driver - but for all that say they have this running is there some thing I am doing wrong???? I really do not want to reload but need to resolve for sound.

With this new driver from 122161 I just installed over what was there and still not working. Then I removed from Add/Remove the sigmatel driver install then re-installed 122161 rebooted and still no sound.

I have created a version of XP load with nlite which i needed to get by SATA driver issue - then loaded XP pro without any issues.

So if I do a reload again - should i load the kb888111xps2 1st then load sigmatel driver or vice/versa????

Please for those that downgraded to XP pro with this box - can you point out want I am doing wrong???

BTW - this laptop smokes with XP pro on it versus Vista!

Collapse -
Maybe it wasn't the right one for you device
by PudgyOne / December 4, 2007 12:04 AM PST
Collapse -
Still trying to get Sound on MT6723 -Gateway support no help
by powerx86 / December 5, 2007 5:10 AM PST

I am still trying to get this thing to work - Can anybody give me tips - I am installing Vanilla XP Pro on the Gateway MT6723 and no luck. Of course I tried their support absolutely no help! They do not have an image or drivers. So I have been using the Dell drivers in the links and the KB888111 driver - but no joy.

I set the BIOS to factory defaults and now trying again. There must be a specific order that you must load. I see post that say it works just fine but no details. If any of the parties that got this MT6723 working with a downgrade to XP - could you lend a hand.

Seeking help!

Rich

Collapse -
Rich, try this
by PudgyOne / December 5, 2007 6:28 AM PST
Collapse -
mt6723 cant get sound to work
by fernandoestebanlarocca / March 26, 2008 2:00 AM PDT

Hi, please if you make it work send me the sound driver for the mt6723 cause i cant get it to work, thanks.

Collapse -
Gateway MT6723 - still not working with after hotfix/driver?
by powerx86 / December 3, 2007 2:11 PM PST

What am i doing wrong. I have everything working on my Gateway MT6723 except the Sound on this downgrade to XP Pro. I installed the kb888111xpsp2 and the R153908 from Dell site. I still have a yellow sticky and no audio?

Can anybody put me in the right direction or tell me what I have done wrong. I have installed/re-installed. I do not want to go back to Vista.

modem works
Wireless works
Ethernet works
touchpad Works

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance!

Collapse -
The driver you want
by PudgyOne / December 3, 2007 3:07 PM PST
Collapse -
I finally got it...after about 5 hours
by rolandmi / September 16, 2008 8:18 AM PDT

To all those poor souls with a Gateway MT6723 laptop with everything working - less sound. The driver I finally found to do the trick was located on Gateway's website after searching for ANY driver with Sigmatel in the name. The file that did the trick for me was:

D00800-001-001 and can be located here:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=22026&dscr=SigmaTel%20Audio%20Driver%20version:%205.10.5615.0&uid=208562055

As a side note, I did install KB888111xpsp2 prior to install above driver. This also has not been tried with SP3, only with SP2.

Good Luck!

Collapse -
Awesome!
by Ogdilla / October 1, 2008 5:13 PM PDT

Dude, you rock. This driver works like a charm on my Gateway T-6836 running Windows XP (with a pretty funky-looking audio control panel as well). I don't understand why the hell Gateway can't just compile a basic list of XP drivers somewhere and point people at it. The working driver was buried in their own site all along, support probably has no idea it's even there!

Collapse -
Gateway T-6836 ~ Vista to XP question
by lcwest1 / October 11, 2008 3:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Awesome!

Ogdilla,

I'm getting the same laptop ... and definitely want to 'downgrade' (?!) to XP.
Hope you get this note and are willing to give me tips, before I start.
ANY and ALL, much appreciated!
(by you or anyone)

I do own XP Professional, version 2002 ...
that I had installed before on my Mac (in Parallels).

Can I use this?
and what do I do?

Thank you!
so much.

Linda
Libertyville, IL

Collapse -
Help needed
by ilovemywarwick / October 20, 2008 2:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Awesome!

I'm in the same boat as lcwest1 -- I just bought a Gateway T-6836 and would like to "downgrade" to XP. I also have a OS CD for Windows XP, SP2, Version 2002.

I have actually been wholly unsuccessful at installing XP on that my new Gateway -- I can't get it to take the XP OS at all. I placed the XP OS CD in the CD drive, and booted from CD. After I chose the "set up Windows XP now" option and accepted the End-User License Agreement, it goes to the screen that shows partitioned and unpartitioned space on the hard disk. However, it says:

Unknown Disk
(There is no disk in this drive.)

Sooo, booting from CD doesn't work.

If I just boot up Vista and try to run the XP OS CD, a window entitled "Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP" opens up, and I choose the "Install Windows XP" option. Then, a window promptly pops up that is entitled "Program Compatibility Assistant" that says "This program is blocked due to compatibility issues. Check online to see if solutions are available from the Microsoft website. If solutions are found, Windows will automatically display a website that lists steps you can take. Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD. Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered."

Any ideas on how to force-feed this?

Collapse -
Thanks rolandmi
by yuniverse / February 28, 2011 5:08 AM PST

I can't thank you enough!
I was downgrading vista to xp on Gateway MT6821 and your driver finally worked!

Thank you again!!!!

Collapse -
Audio troubles and more
by faltor12001 / November 12, 2007 1:25 AM PST

My trouble is similar but not quiet the same. I have a Dell Precision 390 with the Sigmatel HD Audio CODEC. The problem I'm having with mine is that I can't record audio from the speakers. It seems that through much research that Dell won't allow this option for some reason. I guess my question is does the "R153908.EXE" fix this problem as well or just give you back your audio. I'm not very computer savy when it comes to drivers and things of that nature so I don't have a clue. Thanks.

Collapse -
Help for Sigmatel Audio Update for Dell Dimension E520
by rglutz / September 3, 2008 3:37 PM PDT

How can i find the update for my Windows XP Sigmatel audio card for my dell dimension E520? My microphone inputs will not work. I can hear find from my speakers and headsets for everything. I'm trying to do skype and have done all of my settings properly for both skype and windows. It's definitely the audio card/driver. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Hint:: Dell
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2008 10:12 PM PDT

That's dell.com, your service tag and look at the drivers they give you.

Collapse -
It worked!
by bing1015 / October 9, 2008 9:53 PM PDT

Thank you so much!

Collapse -
DELL XPS M1330
by majikk / November 10, 2009 3:04 AM PST
Collapse -
To Master.Ternopil
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 12, 2007 5:09 PM PST

Sorry but I have removed your post.

It included a link to a .exe file which we at CNET find problematical. Direct links to .exe files can be dangerous if a member clicks the link and their browser is set to open the download immediately. They don't have a chance to investigate the web site to see if it is suitable and secure, and that opened executable could be anything, in particular malware.

We try and limit the opportunities of malware to 'get hold' in these forums.

Please consider this before offering similar links in the future.

Mark

Collapse -
also try the modem driver first
by Slickinator / March 23, 2008 3:22 AM PDT
In reply to: To Master.Ternopil

the modem driver has a high def driver needs to be in stalled first then the sound will work fine because sometimes it needs the h d driver from the modem in first to make it all work

Collapse -
sigmatel driver
by wft1957 / March 13, 2008 8:33 AM PDT

i`m having the same problem by downgrading my gateway laptop from vista to xp pro my gateway model is ML3108B
can anyone help my please as i`ve been pulling my hair out looking for sigmatel hd drivers that work and i`m nearly bald

thanks in advance
william

Collapse -
Same problem
by Walden50 / March 19, 2008 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: sigmatel driver

I am having an identical problem with an Acer Aspire notebook 4710z. Audio card works great in vista and ubuntu - but not at all in XPSP2.

PLEASE HELP!! Been dealing with this issue for months, have scoured the web.

Collapse -
Tell me your install instructions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 3:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem
Collapse -
thanks
by Walden50 / March 19, 2008 3:51 AM PDT

I haven't noticed anything about UAA drivers - would the same one work on my acer, or where should i look for ones that do?

Install starts with Gparted to create newly formatted single partition in ntfs format. Run windows XP install as normal, then first install the chipset driver, then the audio driver - no sound.

I have no problem re-doing the install if you have ideas on what order I should go in, +the UAA question.

Thanks much for your help at any rate!!!

Collapse -
For current laptops you need UAA drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2008 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

These will usually come from the maker. I didn't research where yours are since you didn't share where you looked. My post is to get you up to speed about the issue and that the install order may matter.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.