Networking & Wireless

General discussion

Sierra Wireless Aircard 595U

by JordanBeckett / January 24, 2008 4:04 AM PST

Hi all, I finally signed up because I couldn't find the answer. Everyone talks about ICS with the Wireless Broadband, but has anyone got it WORKING on their Small Office/Home Office (SOHO) networks?

I have a Linsys WRT54G router, two desktop PCs (The PC hosting the AirCard is XP Pro, and the other PC is XP Home).

Here's the setup from the XP Pro Computer (Aircard connected via USB):

I. Network Connections Showing Following Connections
-Dialup Connection: "Sprint Mobile Broadband"
*On Advanced Tab: All 3 ICS Options Checked
-Internet Gateway: "Internet Connection"
-LAN or High-Speed Internet: "Local Area Connection"
-LAN or High-Speed Internet: "Wireless Network Connection"
*Enabled but disconnected. This one was created by the 595U.

II. Local Area Connection Settings
-Client for Microsoft Networks
-QoS Packet Scheduler
-File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
-Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)
*IP: 192.168.1.102
*SNM: 255.255.255.0
*Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Linksys Router's Address)

Here's the setup from the XP Home Computer(Connect via Ethernet):

I. Network Connections Showing Following Connections
-Internet Gateway: "Internet Connection"
-LAN or High-Speed Internet: "Local Area Connection"

II. Local Area Connection Settings
-Client for Microsoft Networks
-QoS Packet Scheduler
-File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
-Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)
*IP: 192.168.1.103
*SNM: 255.255.255.0
*Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Linksys Router's Address)

Internet Gateway on both computers display as active, but when I click enable on either, they both say "Connecting... Failed!"

Linksys Router is setup with DHCP active, WiFi off, and I've tried it in both Gateway mode and Router mode. I can't figure this out. Every forum thread I read says "Oh, just enable ICS and away you go!..." but I can't find any detailed troubleshooting.

I know this is theoretically possible, but could I please get input who have personally made it work! Thanks so much everyone!

Cheers!
Jordan Beckett
jordan@jbandcompany.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sierra Wireless Aircard 595U
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sierra Wireless Aircard 595U
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try getting it ...
by jackintucson / January 24, 2008 4:13 AM PST

to work on a stand alone machine (no network). If it still won't connect then you are getting too weak a signal or no signal coverage. You may have to install an external antenna to the 595U.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Still trying to share a working internet connection...
by JordanBeckett / January 24, 2008 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Try getting it ...

My apologies! The aircard works fine, and connects to the internet fine when it's plugged into either computer. However, when I try and share the connection over the network throught the Linksys router, the other computer will show an Internet Gateway, but the gateway is disabled/disconnected. I've tried float IPs, assigned IPs, using openDNS... i'm scratching my head on this. Have you gotten ICS working with this or a similar AirCard?

Thanks so much!!
Happy

Jordan Beckett

Collapse -
Researching the device...
by jackintucson / January 25, 2008 1:09 AM PST
Collapse -
ICS Sprint cards
by turnerjm / January 30, 2008 1:40 PM PST

Jordan

I think the deal is that you are setting up your AirCard PC in DHCP Client mode. I have a Pantech card, and am able to do it with ICS.

My laptop is 192.168.0.1, as well as what ever Sprint assigns it. I run the cable out of the Laptop, to the WAN port, and have the LINKSYS pick up an address from the ICS laptop say.... 192.168.0.164

I think step up to another subnet (just to keep me confused) Wink My LINKSYS then runs the network at 192.168.5.XXX with its ip being 192.168.5.5. I stay away from 192.168.1.1 because it is the default for LINKSYS routers.

PCMCIA MODEM--->LAPTOP(.0.1) ---- (.0.164)Linksys(.5.5) ---- wired/wireless network with (.5.XXX)
My DHCP server starts at 192.168.5.190, just to give me room at the low end for my NSLU2, PSUS4(x2), Webcam, and other routers, etc.

I can connect through the router, and do RDC control of the laptop to restart the computer if it locks up, or I want to do a 'Windowz' flush.

--I am concerned of the security of the laptop, but there is nothing on it, though it could become a drone I guess. I am planning on buying a EVDO-PCCard router like KR-1 by Kyocera or the DLINK or Linksys one in teh next month or so. That should also speed up my connection I think.

Hope this helps.

Turner
--Sprint doesn't even think they have coverage where I live, and I live on EVDO!
PC/Mac network, LINKSYS backbone, DIGITAL ANTENNA Cell Repeater due to rural location

I am going to be testing inbound connections soon, (webcam, NSLU2 filesever) now that I think I have DDNS setup, just need to restart the laptop, just being lazy

Collapse -
Will Try both...
by JordanBeckett / January 31, 2008 10:30 AM PST
In reply to: ICS Sprint cards

Thanks, I'll check and see if Sprint will let me swap to a different modem, one that says it will work with the network. I've heard some complaints about this one.

I'm pretty savvy with networks and this has me stumped. Turner, thanks for the great help! I'm going to give that a shot (.0.# with the network running off of something other than .1.###) -- though TECHNICALLY, should the .1.### really make a difference? I'm definately not arguing, but I'm trying to understand what kind of bug is causing this network headache.

ALSO, Turner, could you briefly walk me through your ICS setup (to make certain mine parallels yours)?

Connections Showing:
-SprintCard (Dialup), on advanced I ICS via Ethernet Connection #1
-Ethernet Connection (HERE is where i should assign 192.168.0.#?)
-Sierra Wireless (this is created by the 595U card, do I do anything with this? Currently it says disconnected... is it trying to create a local adhoc wireless network?)
-Firewire (duh)

Thanks folks for all of your help! I'm bound and determined to beat this... it shouldn't be this hard. Even if my numbers are theoretically perfect, is it possible that the 595U still won't do it, simply because of how they designed it?

*Scratches head*

Thanks Happy
Jordan Beckett
jordan@jbandcompany.com

Collapse -
Network Connections ICS EVDO sharing
by turnerjm / January 31, 2008 12:51 PM PST
In reply to: Will Try both...

>Connections Showing:
>-SprintCard (Dialup), on advanced I ICS via Ethernet Connection #1
I dont mess with my dialup Network connection, it causes me more headache than not, other than being sure that I have it as the ICS connection, and firewalled, and defaulted. I use the Sprint software that came with the modem, and set it up to automatically connect when loaded, as well as load with startup.

>-Ethernet Connection (HERE is where i should assign 192.168.0.#?)
ICS sets up your PC as a DHCP server, thus your router requests an IP and gets a random 192.168.0.###. Besure you have the ethernet cable going to the WAN port on your router, and your router setup to "automatically assigned IP" (or similar setting text)

>-Sierra Wireless (this is created by the 595U card, do I do anything with this? Currently it says >disconnected... is it trying to create a local adhoc wireless network?)
Is this one of those 'dual' WIFI/EVDO cards?

>-Firewire (duh)

> Thanks folks for all of your help! I'm bound and determined to beat this... it shouldn't be this hard.
> Even if my numbers are theoretically perfect, is it possible that the 595U still won't do it, simply
> because of how they designed it?
They sold the Pantech to me saying 'three computers' can use it. I am not sure if they are checking mac addresses, or data throughput. I think I officially had 4 on it at one time, not certain. I dont have any PS3,XBOX,HD-DVD,TIVO to connect as well so I have not really flirted with this statement of the salesperson

If you need we can drop to PM and I can do screen shots of everything (or post to flickr/picasa)--*maybe* this weekend, if you are still having difficulties. It really was plug and play for me, but then again, I had shared a dialup (56K) modem w/ Win98 and Proxy+ on a 10baseT network years ago, so this was much easier

--That is an option if you and ICS just cant get along with each other, and Proxy+ looks like it is still free for 3 user networks.
http://www.proxyplus.cz/

Turner

Collapse -
Setting up a LAN with 595U and router
by W5UN / February 4, 2008 8:47 AM PST
Collapse -
ICS AND network, almost there
by JordanBeckett / February 8, 2008 3:59 AM PST

I followed the guide for setup #2, and ICS is working now, however, file sharing is not. I'm currently using a Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO Router. Should I turn NAT off, or adjust any other settings? All of the computers can share the IC, but none will see themselves or each other on the workgroup "HOME"

Thanks for all the help thus far!
Jordan

Collapse -
Im having the same exact problem
by Kasonification / February 29, 2008 3:25 PM PST

I just got a 595U Sprint Aircard myself the other day and was attempting to establish a connection a lot like the one you are Im using a Desktop XP making my connection shared taking off the firewall then connecting an Ethernet cord from the LAN port on the Desktop to the WAN port of Linksys Router doing this I think I may have gotten the router my internet signal because the internet light did come on However this is what I was doing different instead of connecting to another Desktop I am trying to connect to a Playstation 2 so I can play a MMORPG called Final Fantasy 11 SO with that being said I took another Ethernet cord and ran that from a switch on the router to the Ethernet jack on the back of my PS2doing this I think I may have managed to get my PS2 connected to the internet however I was unable to retrieve the primary DNS at a point when signing into the game. I wanted to try to solve this by going into the settings of my Linksys router however I was unable to using 192.168.1.1 I have never had that problem before with that I did restart everything and power down and reset it all and plug it in correctly by taking an Ethernet cord and plugging it from one of the switches on the router and NOT the WAN port of the router and plug that in the Ethernet jack on the PC. I think it may just be the Aircards compatibility or maybe something else I am unsure and it has caused me a great deal of frustration so to hopefully end this dilemma of mine I threw down and ordered a CradlePoint CTR350 EVDO Router off Ebay for $133 bucks shipping included they seem to be $150 every ware else hopefully this does the trick But I don't know yet I am gonna get it on like March 4th or something I'll let you know how it goes

Collapse -
How I share the 595U
by doctord_MI / March 3, 2008 10:30 PM PST

I have my 595U connected to my Desktop with the proper setup as directed by the software. By default, if you have a LAN connection also on the same computer you will get error saying that you can't use the 595U connection at the same time while connected to your LAN.

To get around this, DON'T use the Dial up manager, Instead start the 595U connection by dbl-clicking the connection inside My network places / View Network Connections

Then to share the connection I use FreeProxy Internet Suite, Download at http://www.handcraftedsoftware.org/

On my Laptop I set Internet Explorer Lan settings to point at my Desktop IP. the path to those settings are: Tools/InternetOptions/connections/LanSettings/UseProxy
IP of my desktop and Port 8080 or what ever port is set in freeproxy

Hope this helps

FYI: to boost my signal (Cause I live in BFE!) I use a wilson antenna setup like this http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/Products.php?Type=B

My setup:
Antenna - http://www.mycellularsolutions.com/yagi_antenna.html
Booster - http://www.mycellularsolutions.com/universal_amplifier.html

Collapse -
it worked for me
by rrut63 / September 17, 2008 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: How I share the 595U

I followed the same path as doctord MI. With the very basic directions of the help file of free proxy, it worked just fine. I have 3 computers using the aircard at the same time

Collapse -
Sierra Wireless Aircard 595U Internet Connection Sharing
by alaninflorida / March 14, 2008 11:08 PM PDT

I had the same problem in sharing the 595U connection. I got it working using a proxy from AnalogX.com.

http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/download/network/proxy.htm

Setup your local network but don't turn on ICS. Instead use the proxy. I am able to share the 595U connection with other computers in my house and my iPhone.

Collapse -
Which Router to use for Aircard 595U
by kathygannett / May 25, 2008 5:58 AM PDT

I bought the Linksys WRT54G3G-ST router but CANNOT connect it because the router does not have a USB connection where I can plug the Aircard into the router (the outlet looks like a telephone cord). I spoke to Linksys yesterday and they said they do not make a router for a USB Aircard. Sprint also said they do not have one. I have no faith that Sprint will help me by letting me swap for another Aircard. I filed a ?Corporate? complaint with Sprint yesterday.

Do you know if there is a router that will work with my Aircard? I live in a small island, Vieques, P.R. Wold my speed.security be better if I got a different Aircard. Are there other issues I should consider before deciding to get a different Aircard? I have a guest house with two apartments for rent - I just want to let my guests check email from their own computers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(I use a Dell PC two years old with Windows XP)

Thanks,

Kathy
kbg@prdigital.com
www.casadekathy.com

Collapse -
(NT) Said router is at 3gstore.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2008 6:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Try This
by musicnut19 / June 2, 2008 10:14 AM PDT

PHS300 CradlePoint Personal HotSpot

This unit will accept a USB Air Card 595U

Then plug into your computer, it will log on to the network.
You can then use it as a wireless connection, or line from box to router/ computer.

Hope this helps....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.