Video Games & Consoles forum

Sid Meier's Civilization II download?

by VistaVictim / February 21, 2013 9:55 PM PST

Can anyone point me to a reliable download site for Sid Meier's Civilization II ?

So far all I can find is a bunch of bogus sites offering it for free, but these are actually hosting trojans.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sid Meier's Civilization II download?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sid Meier's Civilization II download?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Of all the legal sites
by Jimmy Greystone / February 22, 2013 2:49 AM PST
Collapse -
by VistaVictim / February 22, 2013 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: Of all the legal sites
Collapse -
It's not that
by Jimmy Greystone / February 22, 2013 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: right

It's not that, it's that the company that owns the rights to the game has to give permission to distribute it as a digital download. From a bit of research, there seems to have been some kind of legal dispute between Sid Meier and the company that put out Civilization II, which might well have something to do with it not being on Steam or any of the other sites. It also assumes that the company is still in business, and someone bought up the IP rights at the bankruptcy sale if not. I honestly have no idea what happens to copyrighted software for a defunct company that the courts can't offload. I would assume it goes into the public domain, but you'd want to ask a lawyer who specializes in copyrights and patents if you really want to know.

Collapse -
by VistaVictim / February 22, 2013 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: It's not that

that's very interesting, I value your insight about public domain.

On that point, where did you see it for download where you weren't sure about the legality?

Collapse -
I didn't
by Jimmy Greystone / February 23, 2013 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: interesting

I didn't; I only checked legal sites. Anything more would be a violation of the forum rules here. Civilization III-V are available via Steam, so unless you have your heart absolutely set on Civ II, that is what I'd recommend you look into. And if you are dead set on getting Civ II, you might be at it for a good long while. A general rule of thumb is that if it's not on Steam, it doesn't exist as a legal digital download. Sometimes you'll find things on Steam and other sites as well, like Amazon, GOG (often a bit more expensive, but they deal in only DRM free content), or Green Man Gaming. In this case Civ II isn't on any of them, so the odds of it existing as a legal download anywhere are probably about zero.

So maybe try contacting some of the Amazon sellers to find out if they'll do international shipping, or see if you can find someone selling a disc based copy near where you are, because again, we can't and won't help you find an illicit copy here.

Collapse -
by VistaVictim / February 23, 2013 4:16 PM PST
In reply to: I didn't

Thanks for the tips. To clarify, for the record, I did not ask for an illicit copy. I just wondered where you have seen copies. Whether it's illicit or not is something I would want to establish, you said yourself "I would assume it goes into the public domain." Please also not that I came here stating I did not want to touch "a bunch of bogus sites offering it for free."

Thanks again,

Collapse -
by Jimmy Greystone / February 23, 2013 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: fyi

However, I am not a lawyer specializing in copyright and patent law, plus I don't know for sure that the developer/publisher went into bankruptcy, or if they did whether or not the IP for that particular version of the game was sold off to someone else or not. You took a hypothetical situation, based on a lot of assumptions, as fact. So it's entirely possible I'm way off base on all of those assumptions. It's entirely possible that it's still illegal, even if the company no longer exists and all the assets went down with the ship so to speak, but there'd just be no one to come after you for a copyright violation complaint. So be sure to take what I said with the appropriately sized grain of salt, because I was basing it on a large number of assumptions that may not hold true.

Also, since you're not in the US, that would make it an international law issue, complicating things even more. I know even less about international copyright laws than I do US copyright laws, where I generally only know a bit more than the basics. It's not inconceivable that something is in the public domain in Country X, but still under some kind of copyright-like protection in Country Y, so downloading it might not be illegal in Country X, but if you're in Country Y, even downloading it from Country X, would still likely be a crime. If there are extradition treaties you could potentially be arrested and sent to Country X to stand trial, assuming Country X bothers with trials and doesn't just toss you into some dark hole where you're forgotten. It can quickly become a complicated mess, so if you don't find the game on the major legal download sites, assume it doesn't exist anywhere legally as a download.

Collapse -
by VistaVictim / February 24, 2013 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: However

Thanks. Like say, I'm searching for a place where I can pay for download.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.