Computer Help

General discussion

Shouldn't desktop computers come with a modem?

by sarahbn / October 26, 2007 1:10 AM PDT

I ordered a new desktop computer from Dell and assumed a modem would already be installed in it. It's not. Here is what I ordered

Intel Core2 Duo processor E6750 (2.66GHz,1333FSB) w/DualCore Technology and 4MB cache

1 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

1 Dell USB Keyboard

1 20 in (20 in viewable) E207FP Widescreen Flat Panel Display

1 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

1 320GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache

1 Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader

1 Internet Search and Portal

1 Icon Consolidation Application

1 Vista, PC-Restore, Dim/Insp

1 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English

1 Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access

1 Resource DVD, XPS 720

1 Dell Support Center 1.0

1 DELL SUPPORT 3.4,DIM/INSP

1 Dell Optical USB Mouse

1 No modem requested for Dell Dimension

1 ADOBE ACROBAT READER 8.1 DIM/INSP

1 48X Combo and 16X DVD+/-RW

1 Roxio Creator Basic

1 Integrated Audio

1 Dell AS501PA Sound Bar with power adapter for all Enrty Flat Panel Displays

1 Network Associates McAfee 8.0 English, 3-Year Subscription

1 No ISP Requested

1 MS WORKS 8.5
1 $50 Promo Dell Gift Card Card Card to arrive 6-8 weeks afterpurchase Redeem before 1 year expiration. dell.com/giftcard

1 4 Year Limited Warranty

1 Soft Contracts - Qualxserve

1 Warranty Support,3 Year Extended
1 Warranty Support,Initial Year

1 Type 15 - Third Party At Home Service with Nights and Weekends, 24x7 Technical Support, 3 Year Extended

1 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Extended Year

1 Type 15 - Third Party At Home Service with Nights and Weekends, 24x7 Technical Support, Initial Year

1 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year

1 In-Home System Setup with DataTransfer

1 Soft Contracts - Consumer Complete Care

1 CompleteCare Accidental DamageProtection, Dimension, 4 Year

1 You have chosen a Windows Vista Premium System

1 No Preinstalled Software

1 DataSafe Online Dim/Ins/XPS

1 Datasafe Online 10GB,1 Year Free

1 XPS,Datasafe 10GB,1YR(Incl w/price)

1 To activate your online backupaccount, go to Start, Programs, DataSafe Online
Subtotal: $2,585.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Sales Tax: $155.10
Total: $2,740.10

Right now I'm using my daughters notebook which is hooked up to our wireless network and our cable modem

The wireless network is slow and unstable so I assumed I would have an internal modem as well as a etherernet card so I could use wired and wireless on the desktop I wanted to cacnel the order unless I don't need a modem Thanks for your help sarah boucas neto

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Shouldn't desktop computers come with a modem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Shouldn't desktop computers come with a modem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends on country.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2007 1:29 AM PDT

The analog dial up modem is a dead product. Why ask everyone to buy one if less than 1/2 the machines will ever connect a phone line?

I think it should be optional.

Bob

Collapse -
So what should I have in it's place I'm in USA
by sarahbn / October 26, 2007 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends on country.

If no modem then what should I have instead an internal ethernet or cable modem? Thanks

Collapse -
Or wifi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2007 1:54 AM PDT

I see today's makers do give a choice. You make that choice based on your needs.

Bob

Collapse -
Wifi?
by sarahbn / October 26, 2007 2:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Or wifi.

Is wifi a reliable connection is it installed inside the computer or external?

Collapse -
wifi help
by sarahbn / October 26, 2007 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Wifi?

What will my computer need to use wifi? Since it just arrived and there's no isp on it either. We do have a wireless network here already that's the one my daughters laptop and printer aRe connected to

Collapse -
Wifi basics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2007 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: wifi help

If your daughter is using wifi it is likely she can tell you the name of the router and password she uses to connect with.

Is it reliable? Only if yours is. No one will tell you it's reliable enough to say run a respirator.

Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by sarahbn / October 26, 2007 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Wifi basics.

Thanks

Collapse -
No, they are a peripheral that must be ordered ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 26, 2007 6:37 AM PDT

scroll down your post until you come to the part that says:
1 No modem requested for Dell Dimension

If you need a modem (for faxing or because you do not have any broadband or simply as backup if broadband goes down) you can easily add one yourself as they are inexpensive and easy to install.

You mention "Right now I'm using my daughters notebook which is hooked up to our wireless network and our cable modem" which is broadband which gives you an option of wireless networking or wired networking but I don't see anywhere in any of the specs you listed where either a CAT 5 connection or a wireless adapter is included with your system - you might want to contact Dell and find out that little bit of info.

Collapse -
internet connection
by sarahbn / October 26, 2007 9:54 AM PDT

"I don't see anywhere in any of the specs you listed where either a CAT 5 connection or a wireless adapter is included with your system - you might want to contact Dell and find out that little bit of info."

Thanks I will I told then last week what kind of internet connection I had here. They never even suggested it

Collapse -
No, they are a peripheral that must be ordered ...
by phil66 / October 26, 2007 10:55 AM PDT

ED

I have a Dell XPS 600 that is about 1-1/2 yrs old

In my manual there is a picture of the back plate with a description of all of the connections.

The connection is called Network adapter connector
The description is To attach your computer to a network or broadband device.

When I questioned Dell they said that was the connection for dsl it was also known as 10/100 ethernet.

Could this be what she is looking for.

I did not buy a modem as I use an external serial modem to be able to connect to Linux

Ray

Collapse -
Nope, Different Jack Sizes...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 28, 2007 3:28 AM PDT

A dial-up modem uses a RJ-11 phone jack.. If there is an RJ-11 jack on the computer, you can bet there is a dial-up modem installed as well. The Network adapter for DSL, cable, and such is a wider RJ-45 jack.

Some computers have them both.. Other's don't.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Shouldn't desktop computers come with a modem
by sarahbn / November 3, 2007 5:54 AM PDT

Thanks everyone! I'm using it now. it's the wireless that's connected to the wired comcast modem not that stable though I guess it's the old comcast modem.

Funny I hoped wireless would use less wires but there are so many wires here now that I'm afraid I might trip over them.

Collapse -
the ethernet
by ozos / November 3, 2007 2:14 PM PDT

port will allow you to connect to the comcast router's connection, if your computer has a jack on that back that looks like a wide phone jack (100% gurantee it will) you can connect that using an ethernet cable to the modem provided by comcast, it'll be a lot more stable connection than wireless, and offers somewhat higher speeds, if you dont have a cable, go down to your favorite electronics store and ask for an ethernet cable of an appropriate length (how many feet does it have to go from your computer to the modem box, keep in mind you likely don't want a lot of tension (the wire being tight) or the wire following a straight path through the air/across the floor)

hope this helps some

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.