Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Should you go for Windows Vista

by sumukh / July 21, 2006 2:20 AM PDT

This is a tricky decision. It will depend on what hardware you have. Whether your PC is Vista compatible? But if you have to take this decison, What will be main reasons?

3D Graphics, Modified search , IE & with additional security, Faster startup and faster shutdown, Better Networking, Windows media player 11. These are some the reasons. Do you think of any other reasons. Please post it here.

Also post vista related sites

regards

Sumukh

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should you go for Windows Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should you go for Windows Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What happened to 98 & ME Could happen to XP
by islandporgy / July 22, 2006 10:40 PM PDT

I can not and will not say when but it could happen to XP and other Operating Systems.
And then there is the future Operating Systems which they are probably working on now. Get use to (Change)

Enjoy what you have now:

Wendell H

Collapse -
change change change
by ogdad223 / July 23, 2006 9:00 AM PDT

it all sounds good but it is like ms is forcing all to do what they want you to do you have to go out and buy a new pc because they are calling the shots.im not saying that change isnt good but support should be around more than a few years before these units are out of date because a new os comes in and now you have an old unit.and we all know that you cant update these (most of these) units all of these dells,gateways hp etc so now what happens NEW ONE NEEDED another 400 to 1000 dollars

Collapse -
cost
by djujecmaoseoionnn / July 24, 2006 12:50 PM PDT
In reply to: change change change

My Vista ready video card I bought was 500 dollars. You cant buy a vista ready computer for 400 dollars. I have a pretty heavy duty machine all current ,new Nvidia 7900 vids, P4 3200 , 2mb l2 cache, 1 gig DDR2 at 533 and when I use the Vista Beta it recommends I turn off the desktop enhancements to Improve performance. I looks beautiful in full bloom on the desktop but I beleive a Vista machine (good) will be in the 1500 to 2500 range decked out with multimedia and all. I have that invested in mine including monitor and feels like I need more to run vista , Hopefully the final product will be more efficient and what I have will be fine. At least for a while. I do a lot of parts selling and installing at my home and have really good sources for anything PC. So maybe I will have to call them up.

Collapse -
Cost
by windy0062 / July 28, 2006 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: cost

Well, there's lots of reasons to go to Vista whenever it is ready and released. And there's good arguments to wait until Vista has its SP1 issued? My opinion: Vista is as good as Windows 2000, but with added, desirable and needed security features. But Cost of a compatible computer? Here's my run down on cost.

I put together an experimental machine just to run Vista Beta 2. I cut a couple of corners using an old DVD ROM and CD-RW that I just happened to have laying around. NEW, never used, but over a year old. I got a bargain on a case for $60 which was on closeout and wholesaled for $165. And I got a bargain on a new 450 W PS for $20 which usually wholesaled for $35 or more. So I did cut a few corners.

But the total cost for an AMD Athlon 3500 CPU, GigaByte MB, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB SATA HD, including the $80 above, was only $475. Email me and I'll send you a picture and the full details. Windy - windy@uniserve.com

Collapse -
Cost?
by Keczapifrytki / July 28, 2006 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: cost

The reason the os is complaining is not anything substantial. You need another gig of ram in there, and then things will pick up. Ram and 64 bit processor are really the hardware that you need for Vista. A Gig of ram is about 60-70 bucks nowadays...

Collapse -
change.
by djujecmaoseoionnn / July 24, 2006 1:00 PM PDT

Change is what got us from the horse and buggy to the Corvette. And from 8 bit software to 64 bit software etc, It sucks that it cost us to keep up but I would rather do that than still be playing pong. Test drive was a wireframe driving sim when it came out in 81 or so. It ran on a 12MHZ machine. I like my 3200 MHz machine a lot better and Test Drive isnt a wireframe anymore. I love the change its spending the cash to keep current hardware that hurts the most. XP will be around for a long while yet. Until mainstream PCs can run Vista at speed without haveing to buy extreme high end hardware..XP snaps quick on my computer and Vista makes it feel as though it has peanut butter on the hard drive. Raid0 stripe that seems a little strange. Has to be the beta factor kicking in.

Collapse -
Hardware is the main issue
by islandporgy / July 28, 2006 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: change.

Hardware is the main issue with vista I am quite satisfied with the system I have now but Change is the name off the game.

Wendell H

Collapse -
But what's the point of Vista? more...
by BlazeEagle / July 31, 2006 5:03 PM PDT

What advantages will Vista give me over XP? Will the new IE have tabbed browsing?

Collapse -
it will have Tabbed Browsing
by gopherit912 / August 1, 2006 8:53 AM PDT

but XP will run IE7 I do believe. A Browser isn't enough of a reason either and a browser by the name of Internet Explorer (Proud Mozilla Firefox+Thunderbird Supporter talking here so if you don't care about what I'm going to say next don't read ahead) IS NEVER A REASON!!!

Collapse -
Espically true for laptops because...
by BlazeEagle / July 31, 2006 4:36 PM PDT

For various reasons, Laptops will be the biggest issue with Vista. Unlike desktops, as fas as I know, laptops can't really be upgraded. It's hard to comment on Vista itself until I can try it out.

I have no issue with change that is good, I take issue with bad change.

I don't mind upgrading as long as it's something simple like RAM or a video card but I shouldn't have to buy an entirely new computer for an OS!! It's similar to buying a new car just for new wheels!

While displeased with MS, I do like Windows alot. I just think Windows is now an bloated OS.

It'd be nice to have an version of Windows that is:

-Streamlined
-Fast working/loading
-Supremely Stable
-Not a resource hog

Lastly, while I don't expect perfection, an OS should not be an bloated hog! Why does options have to mean bloat? An OS should be option filled and lean. Fancy graphics are nice and all but I don't need a super model OS if it means performance of an OS is bogged down.

Collapse -
The support...
by John.Wilkinson / July 23, 2006 9:41 AM PDT

Support for 98 and ME was extended after a series of complaints and outcries from the public, and more importantly (to Microsoft), businesses that were still using the older operating systems. Thus, support for Windows 98 lasted just over 8 years (4 years of mainstream support) and support for Windows ME (which was largely regarded as a minor update to 98SE) lasted 5 and a half years (3 years of mainstream support). When it comes to software, that's a good amount of time.

When it comes to Windows XP, Microsoft has said that mainstream support will end no sooner than January 2009, 7 years after it was released. Extended support is to last through 2014, a whopping 12 years after the initial release! There are several reasons for this:
1.) XP has reportedly been their most successful operating system ever.
2.) They have faced pressure from businesses and various government agencies worldwide for continued support. They want assurance that Microsoft will do its part to slow the spread of malware...a computer running an unpatched OS can act as a carrier or be used in attacks. That's also part of the reason Microsoft released Windows Defender, for free.
3.) Vista (previously codename Longhorn) was delayed several times over, extending the life of XP.

So, with continued support for XP there's no immediate need to upgrade to Vista except for the desire of the new features. Over time, though, newer software will be designed for Vista only, which will force people to upgrade. That will likely be the second biggest proponent of Vista, right behind it being preinstalled on all new computers.

John

Collapse -
If that is the case
by islandporgy / July 24, 2006 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: The support...
Collapse -
That's specifically for the service pack...
by John.Wilkinson / July 24, 2006 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: If that is the case

Microsoft is just ending support for Service Pack 1...the base OS and SP2 will continue to be supported, at least for the time being. I say for the time being because SP3 for Windows XP is scheduled to be released the second half of next year, and support for SP2 will be cut off sometime thereafter, yet prior to the termination of support for Windows XP as a whole.

John

Collapse -
New Features
by islandporgy / July 24, 2006 9:10 AM PDT

Thats what it is all about:
It took me a long time to switch to XP, realy forced because of memory.
I wanted to use 2 gigs and was not able to with windows ME
Just had built my first PC:

I now enjoy XP and is willing to go to Windows Vista when it is available on the market.

Tnank You Very much for you input:

Wendell H

Collapse -
New Features???????
by jcrobso / July 28, 2006 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: New Features

Thoes are dropping like flies, When Vista(A rose by any other name would still have thorns) make it to the world it may only be new curtans for XP. John

Collapse -
Support? Which support?
by doctorcrack / July 28, 2006 2:35 AM PDT

I had a Dell laptop last year, and the time/date got messed up automatically after daylight saving changes. I called up Dell to ask for "support", and they say it isn't "covered" on the customer helpline, and I should call another phone number. Obviously, the other phone number was charging me few dollars per minute or something like that.

Then I turn to microsoft for support. I call their support, wait for forty five minutes, and then their representative "regrets" me and says that I should "search on their website".

And then everyone says Dell provides support, Microsoft provides support. Which support are we talking about? The average user is still very much on his/her own when handling PCs, and there is nothing like support from the company which made the hardware or the OS. At least not from Dell and Microsoft.

Even the Linux people are much better at this: I post a support request at forums and it gets replied within 15 mins. That's what I call support!

I have sold off the Dell laptop to a needy friend at half the cost, and have bought an apple macbook.

Collapse -
OEM support...
by John.Wilkinson / July 28, 2006 6:19 AM PDT

Something that the average consumer frequently overlooks is the license associated with Windows when it comes pre-installed. The OEM license is completely different from the retail license, giving you much less flexibility.

1.) OEM software cannot be moved from one computer to the other...it's a violation of the EULA (End User Licensing Agreement) and thus illegal, not to mention usually technically impossible. With Retail versions, however, you just have to make a toll-free call to Microsoft and have them OK the transfer.

2.) All support is up to the manufacturer. Why? The manufacturer bought a bulk license for Windows, not you, so they are entitled to Microsoft support, not you. This branches into multiple problems:

* The manufacturer's employees do not, for obvious reasons, know Windows as well as those that are specially trained to work on and provide support for it. Thus, they usually provide sub-par support when something goes wrong and will quickly fall back on the option to reformat and start over.

* You are not entitled to the two free support calls to Microsoft. Microsoft has no obligation to you because you did not purchase Windows from them. Thus, you are simply limited to the Microsoft KB and Windows updates.

* In some cases, Microsoft's technical support personnel may not be able to help you even if you wanted them to. Why? The manufacturer customizes parts of the OS here and there and then inserts third-party software, some of which is completely unwanted. Microsoft has no idea what to do about it, or what exactly the manufacturer did. Thus, they are caught in a fog.

Personally, I rely on forums like these, not the manufacturer's or Microsoft's support. This way I receive multiple perspectives and benefit from the personal experience of dozens of others, not the advice of one that has just read a manual on possible solutions.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
I learned a lot from Forums
by islandporgy / July 28, 2006 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: OEM support...

I got more support from Forums like these than I got from any company.

Thank You
Wendell H

Collapse -
CNet Support
by Carazara / August 4, 2006 7:23 AM PDT

Me too. I've learnt a lot and have been able, on occasions, to sort out any PC problems I've had. I don't think I've ever approached a company for their help - I'll always visit here first. Thanks to everyone.

Collapse -
Why Xp and its activation sucks!
by b_laur14 / July 29, 2006 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: OEM support...

You have to ask them for an ok to change your hardware and your pc's OS, what a crock of _____!!!!

That was my biggest peeve about xp, almost everything else was great! But that damn activation. Someone like me, who has 5 pc in the house for each family member, is not going to fork over $200 for an OS for each that is $1000 for OS's Microsoft is ripping everyone off!! The only reason I stay with MS is Gaming, and supior apps/3rd party stuff, otherwise I would switch to linux, as mac is worse then MS with prices and no varity plus DRM, but that is another topic all togeather! I build my PC's at home from individual components, upgrading as needed. You used to be able to buy one copy of windows and install it on all your pc's like you should! Why do I need to buy it again its insane!! Why don't people protest, petition, raise holy hell, at MS? I don't get it! Thankfully there is other ways to install the OS on multiple PC's. (I leave it as that, because I'm sure MS is listening through one of X]'s varous "Security" Patches!!!

By building my own Pc's I save money and know exactly what is on each pc, and what hardware I have!! I get drivers and manual for every individual component! (unlike Oem wjere you get a general dumbed down pc users guide for idiots) and drivers/support for each component that I bought seperatly. I don't need to call MS support, because; A. I don't get many problems B. I know how to diagnose the pc.
C. Can figure out problems on my own.
D. If I can't fix problems I go on forums and use google, you can get greater help online in user forums then from outsourced help support lines from india, like dell.

I will never buy a premade pc again!! Did it in 1999 with packard bell and got a pc with a pentium2 clone a cyrix that ran 100mhz slower then advertised(it's performance equvilence was only for integer not floating point, so it was useless for gaming!) and shoddy used pc components inside, plus intgrated crap. Not even being able to play a game 4 years older led me on the exiting road of pc upgrading, overclocking, and building/testing myself. It opened up a whole new world for me, a new hobby and a new business!! SO I don't regret buying that crappy oem machine, I will never do it again. I now warn people off of buying dells etc...(espicially mac's the worst computer around, if you buy one you can't upgrade, tweak, game, or use the multitude of cool 3rd party apps, and have to pay an insanly high price just to be owned by apple! not worth it!)

You can get an incredible pc if you custom make it yourself, by the parts discounted on Newegg.com . Use internet guides/forums to learn what components to buy and why, as well as how it all fits togeather and how a pc works. Install a corporate edition of XP so you can use it again on other pc's. Once you have done it once you can do again no problem! And you've gained a new skill and hobby, and bragging rights! You will not need tech support because you know how a pc works and how to diagnose and fix it yourself, and it will boost your selfesteem at the same time! Hope this helps someone!

Collapse -
XP Activation is a pain
by islandporgy / July 29, 2006 8:30 AM PDT

If I do not make any changes to my computers, The activation goes well.
It is when I make changes to my computers I have to call and have them activate my computer, and I have to tell them that this is the only Computer that is using this Key. I have four Keys For XP That I purchased.

Windows 98 & ME There is know problem wiht those operating systems you can use the key as many times as you want. (And that is why there is and Activation with XP and others)
Microsoft do not want to losse Money they want to make
Money.

Thank You
Wendell H

Collapse -
You rock
by cro.manag / July 31, 2006 12:44 PM PDT

I've come to the same conclusion. It's absolutely true that building your own has many advantages. On the other end though one should also consider the negative side of this approach. You're sometimes waiting for weeks for parts to be delivered. You'll have to be very sharply following price changes and act in a timeframe of just a few hours to not miss out on excellent deals ...etc...Consider also the time factor in getting your machime fine tuned. When you can afford to spent heaps of time, studying the effects of your changes, well then go ahead.

Collapse -
Is it possible to build a custom Laptop?.[more]...
by BlazeEagle / July 31, 2006 4:52 PM PDT

I'm bed ridden & use a laptop because of this fact. Is it even feasible to build a custom Laptop?

Collapse -
Huh? Vista will be...
by BlazeEagle / July 31, 2006 5:28 PM PDT

PREinstalled on new computers? That's not right at all!

Being preinstalled should be an option, not shoved upon new computers & their users.

Collapse -
yeap
by Joeski2 / July 27, 2006 10:29 PM PDT

right on ,,man

Collapse -
What happened to them then?
by donferg2 / July 28, 2006 12:23 AM PDT

So tell me what happened to 98 and ME (besides being rough as guts to begin with? I mean 3 blue screens a day rough as guts.) Why could this happen to XP (whatever it is)? You're funny in that you made a point without actually making one. A job in a government position awaits you!

Seriously, Windows XP has been what, in development 8, 9 something years (I'm including time before it was released up to the current day), and it's has about 2 million KB updates and patches and fixes released, that it's probably the most solid Microsoft operating system you'll ever see. I work as a software developer and we have a saying... "Don't shake the jello." This describes a caution to developers to avoid changing something that works. XP works. It's tried, proven and low risk, and pretty solid. I've run the Vista betas on virtual PCs, and relative to other operating systems (95,98,ME,NT,2000,XP,2003) Vista is a DOG!!! It seems to improve with extra memory, but I didn't want to spend extra $$ on more memory just to maintain the status quo.

Vista would lierally have to rub my back while I sat at the computer before I'd deliberately make the move to it. I just bought a fast dual core machine with 2Gb RAM; I don't want that negated by Vista, and I'm definitely not Anti-Microsoft - I've made my living from them.

Anyway, that is my own feeling and if you wanted to get Vista, go for it, but for my own machine I'll be waiting until the hype is over, a few SPs are released and we have something worth looking at.

Collapse -
Dog
by djujecmaoseoionnn / July 28, 2006 7:52 AM PDT

I agree that vista seems to require more than the basic system has to offer in terms of power. But do you think that it is an issue that may be repaired in the final version. Surely they cant expect everyone to buy 500 dollar graphics cards and multiple gigs of mem as well as fast Dual core processors just to take advantage of the Aero features which from what I have seen aand read are the things getting the attention and causing the hype.

Collapse -
I have said XP was a dog
by islandporgy / July 28, 2006 11:44 AM PDT

I have said that XP was a dog years ago but I enjoy XP and prior operating system which I still use.
I still have a lot off games that XP does not handle, I use Windows ME for a lot off old games. The way technology is going today I have to keep up with it that is just my opinion.

(I like Change:)

Thank You

Wendell H

Collapse -
Nothing last forever
by islandporgy / August 1, 2006 8:16 AM PDT

When XP came out, and I was using Windows ME.
I said why change a good thing, But here comes new features, performance, security with in Windows XP.
The reason why I switced to XP, I built my first computer and I was upgrading my memory from 1 gig to 2 gigs off dual channel memory.
Windows ME will not handle more than 1.5 gigs off memory never mind Dual Channel Memory amongst other situations.
And after the installation off XP I noticed a big change in performance. It took me a while to learn my way around XP, but now I like it.
I am pretty sure that it will be the same for Windows Vista.
I have built Four computers since then and now once again it is time to build another and it will be with in the next year.
I am aware that hardware is the name off the game around Windows Vista.
(I like a challange:)
Yes it will be built for Windows Vista.
Every Windows based operating system needs support from Microsoft.
(Security & other patches is the name off the game)
Microsoft has said more than once about not supporting
Windows 98 & ME & XP Service pack 1.
For instance the 2 links bellow.

1)http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

2) http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-3667_7-6543933.html?tag=txt

I am sure that there is a lot more but Microsoft will do what they please.

I am new in the Forums and I like it and I am learning a lot.

Thank You Very Much:
Wendell H

Collapse -
I will "upgrade" to Vista after a full year
by gumbawakka / July 28, 2006 2:34 AM PDT

Because I've been a Microsoft Victim (aka, unacknowledged beta tester) and purchased previous Windows iterations before they were 'ready for prime time', I've learned. I admit I'm a slow learner, but I finally got it.

I will wait a full year, until the various patches, upgrades, fixes, etc etc etc come out and are workable. When the stream of invective on websites calms down; when the other software mfrs have released their fixed versions and their patches and work arounds, then I'll CONSIDER getting Vista, but only if I don't have to spend a fortune on hardware upgrades.

To Hell straightaway with Microsoft and their policies.

Question: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
Answer: None, it's a hardware issue!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.