Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Should Newspapers Publish Abortions?

by James Denison / January 4, 2013 1:54 AM PST

Maybe do like with gun permits, give out names and addresses of women who have abortions?

Ann Coulter believes so.

Is murder of an unborn child a greater reason to publish their name and address, than someone who has a gun permit, but has killed no one?

It's an interesting concept. Open abortion records might work to halt the carnage of the unborn. Is it possible a liberal newspaper's actions toward gun owners may have revealed the best approach to discourage Abortions too?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Should Newspapers Publish Abortions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Should Newspapers Publish Abortions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sex offenders have their addresses available
by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2013 2:20 AM PST

in my city, anyway. Convicted felons who have been released...even violent ones...can live among you and you'd not know. They have more protection from the public than legal gun owners.

Collapse -
Medical records are private
by Josh K / January 4, 2013 2:45 AM PST

Gun registration records are public information.

I wonder how Ms. Coulter feels about drivers' licenses being public info, being that at one time she had two of them, from two different states, with two different birth dates on them.

Collapse -
when medical records become
by James Denison / January 4, 2013 3:23 AM PST

govt property under Obamacare, all that might change, eventually.

Collapse -
(NT) HIPPA is still the law of the land
by Diana Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 3:33 AM PST
Collapse -
HIPPA is also the bane of the land
by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2013 4:34 AM PST

It's why you might get mysterious phone calls asking for a specific person in your house by a person who will not identify themselves or where they are calling from. Medical calls need to qualify the person at the other end as being the patient or legal representative of the patient. An OB/Gyn office will refuse to speak to husband of the woman patient. You may also have trouble finding out the status of a friend or relative in a hospital. HIPPA rules have their down side.

Collapse -
When my wife was in the hospital
by Roger NC / January 4, 2013 7:15 AM PST

they asked me for a password that anyone asking for information on the phone would have to give to receive information, and then limited

We never had a problem with out doctor office, but then my wife liked for both of us to go when one of us had an appointment when possible, so our doctors were use to talking in front of the spouse.

You can designate when you're there anyone that you want to allow access to your records.

Sadly the refusal to speak to a spouse is a result of bad events when a spouse found out medical conditions the patient didn't want them to know. The most obvious is STD's. But there have been other cases I have read. Spousal abuse has resulted from information being passed to someone other than the patient. Rare perhaps, but it has occurred.

Cutting off ties with barely grown children if the family finds out about sex or pregnacy isn't as common now, but it use to happen. Throw a pregnant 18 year old out of the house and what are the chances for her or the baby is she has it?

It's just another case of bad results from a rule trying to prevent bad results.

Collapse -
For patients who are really sick, HIPPA can be a real pain
by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2013 9:07 AM PST

I got to deal with this for a family member who was ill enough that she couldn't handle the phone calls to/from providers, billing departments, insurance, short term disability and other administrative functions related to the disease and treatment. I was able to get authorization to communicate on her behalf only by putting her on the phone simultaneously with me to provide needed personal verification of such. I've also experienced a couple of disabling conditions and had to deal with answering phones and making inquiries from providers, insurance, etc., so I got pretty good and knowing the drill. I swear that a person in real dire condition might just think that it's better to let go of life than be put through hell while trying to get well. Sad

Collapse -
I understand, but how many times have you heard
by Roger NC / January 4, 2013 9:45 AM PST

of either a nurse, caretaker not family, and even family members taking advantage of patients confusion, more in long term chronic rather than acute I admit, and siphoning off money and goods?

My experience may be different in part because I was the primary on the insurance, and so they at least were inclined to go to me rather than the patient, my wife, anyway.

As far as the doctors, well we had been in the hospital and she honestly was visually not competent at a couple of times and that may have influence things also, even after we got home. And even today, I think there is still just a bit of an unconcious attitude that makes it easier for a husband than anyone else, even a wife, to deal with medical providers for their spouse. There is still a hangover of "the man of the house" attitude subconciously I think.

I still think the pain in the *** for 95% of us with the rules regarding patient information etc, is because of misuse of that information by the 5%.

Collapse -
RE:all that might change, eventually.
by JP Bill / January 4, 2013 3:46 AM PST

Maybe in "six days", the time it took to create the Earth/Universe. Palm trees grow naturally in MD.

Ann Coulter, I guess she's taking The Donalds place for the start of the new year...Tag team loonies.

Collapse -
Re: records
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 3:48 AM PST

The IRS, it seems, has a good reputation with regards to the secrecy of their data. I didn't hear about any leaks about Mitt Romneys much discussed income and taxes, while I'm sure that somebody over there has all the details Romney didn't want to share with his voters.

Why do you expect it will be different with medical data?

Kees

Collapse -
That's a poor example
by James Denison / January 4, 2013 11:01 AM PST
In reply to: Re: records

if you consider the amount of open reporting of investments in stocks and bond required under SEC rules, especially for those over a certain percentage ownership in a corporation. Since it's not that difficult to figure out how much major investors such as Carl Icahn make from their participation in stocks and bonds, why do you think political foes want their IRS records? It's to see if it's all reported and what deductions were taken so they can be examined too.

As for medical data information being discovered, just look at Kate Middleton in England where it's supposed to be highly protected, especially for the royal family.

Consider all the info on Adam Lanza's medical information that's been released.

When the govt takes over, all that information will be avaiable to them, to anyone who is given or can gain access to the computers or networks it can be accessed on.

Collapse -
Medicalrecords never become government property in universal
by Ziks511 / January 4, 2013 7:45 PM PST

healthcare. The government pays for treatment and procedures. All they have are the code numbers indicating the treatment or the operation, which are considered and treated as confidential information, not for public access. It is a criminal offence to release that information in any country with Universal Health Care.

You continue to be ignorant of how Universal Health Care works, and how medical records are considered confidential not public information. Is military information considered public? The government has access to all of that, but keeps it secret or confidential.

This is another of your Red Herrings, James. Fabricated false ideas to discredit something you don't understand or don't like. Stop making things up, and do some research. I'd suggest first finding out how many and which countries have Universal Health Care, then finding out the cost per patient and the infant mortality and over-all life expectancy for people in those countries as compared to the United States, and then the cost as a percentage of GDP compared to what the US pays. If you were better informed you wouldn't make up silly and wrong things like this.

Rob

Collapse -
When?
by Josh K / January 5, 2013 3:51 AM PST

Did you hear that myth or did you come up with it yourself?

Collapse -
from NYT.
by James Denison / January 5, 2013 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: When?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/business/medicare-is-faulted-in-electronic-medical-records-conversion.html?pagewanted=all

Just look at all the people who will have access to the records. A little money in the right hand almost anywhere to any medical worker and someone's "secret" medical records will be had. Another thing will be the weakening of "second opinions" since doctors will be able to see who and what the "first opinion" was.

California — The medical records of nearly 300,000 Californians have been exposed on the Internet. The firm responsible for the data says it believed the information was protected.

Southern California Medical-Legal Consultants put the files on a website it thought only employees could access. But it turns out the information was visible to anyone.

The files included descriptions of workers' comp claims and Social Security numbers.

Psychiatry records open to reviewers.

"Many people would be
surprised at just how exposed they are. Millions of individual medical
records float around these days in a vast electronic network that serves
both commerce and scientific research. The information zips around the
country, speeded by computers at every stage. Computers help diagnose
disease, monitor patients, organize the data about their conditions, and
transmit the information to managed care networks, medical research
networks, pharmaceutical benefits managers and other outposts of
America's increasingly wired health care system. Along the way,
thousands of eyes scan this data. The eyes may belong to health
researchers seeking improved treatments, or to corporate managers bent
on slashing costs, or to drug company marketers looking for new
customers. Some of the records are even available through the Internet,
part of a $40 billion medical information industry."
Collapse -
as far as computer medical records
by Roger NC / January 5, 2013 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: from NYT.

they've been hacked and exposed already as you proved.

So you don't need to wait for Obama care for that.

So do we go back to paper records only for medical? We both know a large hospital now couldn't handle half of what it does if it did. And despite real failures, I suspect terrible mistakes happen less per 100 patients now than they did before.

If you had to go to the emergency room travelling across the country, would rather they not have any access to your medical records?

There are real pitfalls, and we shouldn't ignore them. There are benefits too, would you ignore them?

Collapse -
Records being compromised.....
by Josh K / January 5, 2013 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: from NYT.

.....is the same as a government policy making them public?

Okee dokeee........ (backs away slowly)

Collapse -
They could just give a running total...No need for names
by JP Bill / January 4, 2013 5:00 AM PST

The Big Guy is in charge of Judgment (of sins?)...not the earthlings.

Collapse -
(NT) Should vasectomies?
by Roger NC / January 4, 2013 7:06 AM PST
Collapse -
and why?
by James Denison / January 4, 2013 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: Should vasectomies?

Doesn't involve killing anyone or anything.

Collapse -
depends on who you ask
by Roger NC / January 4, 2013 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: and why?

some consider birth control the same as abortion.

Do you deny that some equate the two?

And some consider both a medical procedure, so equal again.
You're projecting your beliefs.

Collapse -
(NT) No, I'm projecting God's revelation
by James Denison / January 4, 2013 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: depends on who you ask
Collapse -
(NT) shrug, says any true believer
by Roger NC / January 4, 2013 12:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Ann Coulter believes whatever will get her the most
by Roger NC / January 4, 2013 7:16 AM PST

news coverage and controversy.

Collapse -
(NT) Like Obama?
by James Denison / January 4, 2013 11:03 AM PST
Collapse -
maybe, but she seems more rabid
by Roger NC / January 4, 2013 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: Like Obama?

and I'm not an Obama voter.

Collapse -
abortion
by mariacateria / January 4, 2013 2:45 PM PST

i think some kinds of ,newspaper can

Collapse -
Despite the source, a good critique of publishing gun regist
by Ziks511 / January 4, 2013 7:30 PM PST

ration information, which is private information, as is the medical information regarding abortion

I think it wrong to publish gun registration information, just as I think information on people who have had abortions should be private and confidential medical information.

Sex offender registration is only created after due process in a proven court case, and is thus public information. Additionally the virtual certainty of re-offending makes it information which should be available to the community.

I may be giving Ann Coulter too much credit in thinking she's just trying to highlight the stupidity of making public private information, as in gun registration. I certainly haven't seen anyone defending those who published the gun registration information.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.